Canon 7D DSLR – Photos came out Unfocused and Color Washed

flying_tiger

<p>I took some pictures with my 7D and 28-70/2.8L with high ISO (800 to 1200 range) and built-in speedlite, respectively. The pictures (uploaded to PC) seem unfocused and the color washed. All pictures are taken in JEPG format and no post-processing in Photoshop was performance.<br>

Is this normal for JEPG format? Do I need to calibrate the 7D with my 28-70/2.8L lens for focusing? FYI, I have limited experience using DSLR and have never done any post-processing/sharpening in Photoshop. I was primarily using films – 35mm and medium format before.<br>

On photo.net I’ve seen many very sharp and colorful pictures posted and I imagine the 7D and 28-70/2.8L have the capability to capture images with similar sharpness and colors.<br>

Would someone explain to me the process working with DSLR such as 7D? Is post-processing/sharpening mandatory? How about RAW format? Thanks.</p>

<p>If you're going to have the camera save to JPG, you need to configure your 7D in a way that gives you images you like. The camera allows you to control the saturation, white balance, contrast, color tone, sharpness, etc. of your images. What those settings should be, however, is up to you based on your personal preferences. I would recommend testing the camera and those settings in a methodical manner, until you become familiar with the controls.</p>

<p>Digital photography takes the work of processing the images out of the lab and puts it in your hands. You can either use the controls provided by Canon in-camera, or you can shoot RAW and develop the images yourself in a software tool like Photoshop or Lightroom (my preferred method). </p>

<p>If you are shooting slide film and your images come out soft and overexposed, what would you think happened. You wouldn't think that you had to send your slides to an airbrush artist to fix them right? Digital isn't any different. Some of your settings are either incorrect or you didn't operate the camera correctly. </p>

<p>It also helps a lot if you include an example photo when asking for help with a specific problem.</p>

<p>Without a lot more information about how you're shooting, how you have your camera set up etc. it's going to be impossible to help, Flying Tiger.</p>

<p>Sight of an example image <em>with Exif </em>is pretty much an essential if we have any hope of diagnosing the problem...</p>

<p>The focus, and color are two different problems.</p>

<p>With the 7D, you can adjust PD AF focus point.<br>

The focus point can be adjusted using the MFA process with the lens you are having trouble with. I have found that it is often very helpful, especially with older lenses, and can be beneficial even when there isn't a clear problem.</p>

<p>The color, in JPEG is due (as pointed out) to your in-camera settings. For 'optimal' results, I usually recommend shooting in RAW, and then color correcting (or saturating, or desaturating) to the desired result.</p>

<p>For color, shoot RAW and monkey with the parameters and pic styles in DPP. Once you find the ones you like, set them as defaults for you camera. You JPEGs should then hit pretty close to what you like.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>When I first got my 5DII I set up a test using different variations of the in camera settings (saturation, sharpness, contrast, etc). I gathered a bunch of my kids toys with lots of different colors, patterns and textures. I arranged them in front of a spare piece of floor tile and other different colored backgrounds. Camera was set on a tripod outside in an evenly lit area. After taking a bunch of photos at various settings, I compared the photos to the actual set up. Then I chose the one that looked the closest to the real thing and had the look that I liked. It took a tiny bit of tinkering with later on. I did notice that the settings I used initially didn't render skin tones to my liking. This process worked for me and now If I'm just shooting jpegs and don't want to do much post processing, this is sufficient.</p>

<p>without seeing examples, it is impossible to say.<br>

If your subject(s) were static and still available, try leaving the bloody Speedlite OFF, put the 7d on a secure tripod (I would have to assume if you own a 7d, you've got sturdy support options) and reshoot. Try RAW this time. Shoot in Av and adjust ISO if the situation demands a faster shutter. With careful PP, the 7d delivers a very usable image @ 3,200...<br>

$0.50 says you'll feel differently after seeing these images...<br>

rt</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you underexposed at such high ISOs you'll have lots of noise, poor detail and low contrast. How do the images look at more normal ISOs and properly exposed.</p>

<p>Show some examples and we might get more specific with our "help."</p>

<p>The 7D can give excellent results, even at ISO 6400, but you can't under expose. This is not an unusual result with good exposure and good camera steady hand holding:</p>

<p><a title="Michelle checks for text message... by dcstep, on Flickr" href=" src="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7170/6582141799_dc9f11e821_z.jpg" alt="Michelle checks for text message..." width="640" height="426" /></a></p>