A great review of Fuji X100s

laur1

<p>I suppose if you like that style and control layout and want a digital with a fixed wide angle, this must the best camera you've ever seen, and if you don't, it's not. I don't know about the bar analogy or the "new Leica!" thing but the shots speak for themselves - this guy is able to use the camera very effectively.</p>

<p>Comment for James, re the X20: I have one, and it's a fine point/shoot camera. Because of age/health/declining need for pro level equipment, I recently sold my Nikon gear and switched to the Fuji X system (I had a couple Fuji's in the past and was pretty impressed); my current inventory is an X100, an X-E1, and I just got the X20. It's feature rich and delivers great IQ, build quality is top notch. My major complaint with the X20 is that at the wider apertures, 2, 2.8, the camera is restricted to 1/1000 shutter speed (in aperture priority, you can override this by shooting manual, I think) and it has no built in ND filter. So you either stop down, or use a variable ND, as I do. As long as you can live with the retro design and operation, it's great. Personally, I love the design, and the camera - all the Fuji X series from my perspective - has just enough mild quirkiness to appeal to my "slightly out of the mainstream" persona. And the IQ from all three cameras is equal to the gear I sold (D300s, Tokina 12-24, Nikon 24-70).</p>

<p>Yeah i saw this last weekend. I love Zack's honesty and no-nonsense approach to reviewing. His "real world" approach is refreshing and a pleasant change from charts, coins, M&M's etc ;-) I've owned an X100 for about a year and recently got the X-E1. Barely touched the dslr since. And Fuji listen to their clientele. Hallelujah. The results straight out of the box are incredible. Goodbye, Leicalust! Love from Downunder.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>The review is a Great Read! Very Creative and basically spot on! But....as much as I love my new Fuji X100s it isn't a Leica....But then again, I agree with Mark Loader...."<em>Goodbye Leicalust!"</em></p>

• 7 months later...
<p>Yes, the Leica-like picture, it should sure doesn't give, as I see it too. With Leica M I always felt it was not producing an image, rather the scene was in real, and through photographer's eye (thanks to nice bokeh). But as value for money, I guess, this is pretty decent substitute. I am eagerly looking forward to getting this camera as my film M6 TTL has been in the wardrobe for years!</p>