STARTING OUT WITH VIDEO

reuben demanuele

<p>hI aLL, </p>

<p>I recently ugraded to a D800, with which I am absolutely happy. I have also "access" to my wife`s Nikon J1.</p>

<p>I only shoot semi professionally, in that my prime motivation is "artistic" pleasure...seeing my images printed is the profit i look for. I do the occasional family party/baptism/wedding...but to be honest i consider them more a favour i do for friends.<br>

I have read some stuff on the net and a couple of ebooks on how to shoot decent video with the 2 bodies and I have developed the following basic "rules"</p>

<p>1. use a tripod/monopod to keep "big Bertha" as still as possible<br>

2. do not zoom<br>

3. manual focus. <br>

4. manual exposure<br>

5. plan composition/lighting as I would a photo so that what i am shooting is interesting/aesthetically pleasing<br>

6. am saving up to buy a decent microphone to improve my sound. decent sound is an intrinsic part of video<br>

7. I am learning to look at the TV/Cinema as a learning instrument to see what the professionals do and how they do it...<br>

8. I have access to video editing software and I am starting to play with this slowly<br>

My problem is shifting mindset...<br>

the biggest learning curve is not the equipment but myself. How can i learn to recognize video opportunities in the way that I do with my photography...how can i train my ionner photographer to start looking for video opportunities.<br>

If I can do this, then the technical skills will follow, as will the equipment<br>

I understand that aptitude is built in, and that i might just not have a videographer in me...but I have always challenged myself by learning new things, and most of the time I profit on a personal level from what I learn...its the turn of vdeo now</p>

<p>Help me, please!!!</p>

<p>Reuben</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Reuben - great question. The "motion picture eye" is indeed different. With the addition of motion, the edited sequence and sound, the filmmaker has a real challenge in visualizing the final product on the screen - and, with intention, creating an impact on the audience.<br>

It sounds as if you would profit from reading at least one of the classic books on cinema (perhaps Mascelli's <em>5 C's of Cinematography</em> <a href="http://www.amazon.com/The-Five-Cs-Cinematography-Techniques/dp/187950541X?tag=battleforthew-20">$19.37</a> or <a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Five-Cs-Cinematography-Techniques/dp/187950541X?tag=hybrcamerevo-21">£22.49</a>) plus a more modern "how-to" (such as <em>The Filmmaker's Eye, Learning (and Breaking) the Rules of Cinematic Composition</em> <a href="http://www.amazon.com/The-Filmmakers-Eye-Cinematic-Composition/dp/0240812174?tag=battleforthew-20">$23</a> or <a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Filmmakers-Eye-Learning-Cinematic-Composition/dp/0240812174?tag=hybrcamerevo-21">£14.99</a>).<br>

It is always useful to know the rules, so you can decide when to creatively break them!<br>

I hope this is helpful,<br>

Bill<br>

<a href="http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.com">Hybrid Camera Revolution</a></p>

<p>I've been going through exactly the same thing, Reuben. To the extent that the final video output isn't something excrutiatingly dry ("how to change spark plugs") (and even then!), I'm finding the need to pre-conceive a beginning-middle-end structure, and to remember the need to get plenty of b-roll, room tone audio, establishing shots and all the rest ... a challenge! Which isn't to say that I don't <em>plan</em> a still photograph, but the logistics are orders of magnitude more complex with video production. And you're right about audio - an entirely separate discipline that never the less needs to be woven in.<br /><br />And I find I'm spending huge amounts of time clawing my way through stock music libraries! Talk about yet another detail that, done wrong, will torpedo the best camera work or carefully recorded/edited audio. <br /><br />Did I mention lighting? Just when I thought it was safe to say I had photographic lighting covered, I haven't scratched the surface. <br /><br />It's no wonder that video production is generally a team sport, and involves Producers (read: people who round up the money!).<br /><br />I think your first instinct is correct: watch TV and film (and <em>listen </em>to it) from a learn-the-discipline point of view. I know I've been getting completely distracted, lately, from whatever plot was developing on the screen in front of me ... because I keep wondering how big the camera crane was, or whether they were getting away with LED panel lighting for faux sunlight through a set window. </p>

<p>"the need to pre-conceive a beginning-middle-end structure..."<br />Matt really nails it there.<br />I spend two years in film school at NYU, memorizing the books mentioned by Bill and getting tested on them, going out on shoots for actual experience, etc.<br />Professional level still photography isn't about lucky snapshots, but there are times when it's a matter of being in the right place at the right time and clicking the shutter. One person can do it.<br />Video is an entirely different world. Pre-production -- all of that pre-conceving -- is at least as important as the actual shooting. And the actual shooting only gives you pieces of material to work with and is not a finished product unto itself by any means. "Video opportunities" are not the same as photo opportunities. Yes, you can grab a nice piece of video, but if you don't have a project it fits into or can't build something around it, it's worthless.<br />At NYU, when we went out on a shoot, we were shooting something that had been conceived by a writing class. We were filming people from an acting class. They were being directed by someone from a directing class. The crew came together from people in camera classes, sound classes, lighting classes, etc. And the footage got turned over to an editing class. It is definitely a team effort.</p>

<p>Agree with everything said above, however there's still quite a bit one can achieve alone and with simple gear. </p>

<p>Have a look at this wedding video shot by a lone videographer using a DSLR and hot-shoe mic which you'll see at the end of the video:<br>

<a href="http://vimeo.com/49218614">http://vimeo.com/49218614<br /></a></p>

<p>There are probably more intangibles demanded from videographers when multiple skill sets are required to assemble a video people are willing to watch, but interdisciplinary skills is probably a prerequisite anyway even in a team environment. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>thanks alot for the contributions Guys...</p>

<p>There is no way I can rope in a qualified team to help me with my video skills. i had tried roping in my wife once as a "tripod assistant".....didnt work :)<br>

so whatever I do, I will do on my own. I will continue looking analytically at professional products and I have started reading Mascelli`s work to gain some "aesthetic insight"...</p>

<p>To be honest I am 42, and something it just feels like learning new stuff is difficult :)...that`s why I want to challenge myself more and more.<br>

I have given myself 6 months at the end of which, I want to present to myself a 15min video, properly edited...that would be a great achievement for me...</p>

<p>R.</p>

• 2 months later...

<p>Practice. Shoot little videos around your house and edit them. If you have a pet, make a video about the pet or a day in the life of. Use different angles when shooting the same thing and you will learn what you think looks best. <br>

You will quickly be able to look at your footage and see how you should have done it to achieve the look you want. Film, Edit it and film some more.</p>