Dealing with Photography Dealers

rfader

<p>A reputable art photography dealer is interested in my work and wants me to provide presentation prints. Before I provide the prints, is it business standard to have a contract as to how long she'll hold onto them? I'm spending a small fortune to have the prints made and housed in a presentation box. How, if at all, should I protect myself to be certain I'll get these back?<br>

And generally, does anyone have any suggestions about the photographer/dealer relationship?<br>

Any and all suggestions are very appreciated!<br>

Robin Fader</p>

<p>I am in the same boat you are. I found a gallery that said they wanted to show my prints and it turned into a nightmare. I am still attempting to find all the copies that somehow were made of my images. The person I was dealing with quit, the co-owner didn't have a clue and his partner was even more clueless. I would not give anybody anything until I had a pretty good contract signed. The book the others suggested is quite good.<br>

It's a minefield in a nightmare. I am now trying to get hooked up with a non-profit arts coop gallery.</p>

<p>A gallery is an agent and you should certainly have some form of contract which has a fixed term and possibly an early get out clause in the event that they never sell anything. It should also make them responsible for the prints while in their possession.<br>

<br />You could also do some research on the other artists whose work they represent and then contact those artists and ask for a reference/their opinion of the gallery.</p>