Firmware update

don_myers1

<p>I am posting a question regarding the firmware update for my K-5, and am wondering if it is that important.<br>

I'm able to download the update from pentax and then get it on the memory card, but when I try to install it on my camera it wont upload.<br>

I don't want to push my luck and wreck my camera, so does it really matter whether it is updated or not?<br>

Thank you for your input.</p>

<p>Don</p>

<p>Doesn't matter, provided the camera is working to your liking and the updates don't seem relevant to you. However, updates usually provide improvements.<br>

<br />If you are following the instructions perfectly, I can only imagine that your camera already has the latest firmware, as I have never had a problem with the SD card firmware update on a Pentax DSLR. </p>

<p>Doesn't matter, provided the camera is working to your liking and the updates don't seem relevant to you. However, updates usually provide improvements.<br>

<br />If you are following the instructions perfectly, I can only imagine that your camera already has the latest firmware, as I have never had a problem with the SD card firmware update on a Pentax DSLR. </p>

<p>It sounds like they introduced a problem with 1.12 and <a href="http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/digital/k-5_s.html">recommend upgrading to 1.13</a> although 1.13 is officially only to patch a problem with recording to SDXC cards.<br />I don't have the K5 (I'm still using my K20D for digital) but never had a problem upgrading once I discovered that the BIN file needs copying to the root of your SD card (not the 'route' as the Pentax bulletin specifies)</p>

<p>Just in case, since not everyone knows the jargon -<br /> "Root level" means that when you open the card as a window, the update file will be at the highest first level - that is, you won't have to open any further windows/folders to find it.</p>

<p>Somewhere, in the menus on your camera, there surely is a place where you can find out what the latest version installed is, and see whether the new one is the same or a higher number version.</p>

<p>On all Pentax dslrs, the installed firmware version is displayed by holding the "Menu" button while turning the camera on. It will display the version number for a couple of seconds, before continuing on to the regular menus.</p>

<p>The most common mistakes that people make are: copying the .exe file to the memory card or copying the update file to the DCIM folder on the card.</p>

<p>The file that you download from the website is a self-extracting zip file. After you download it, double click on it to execute it. This will extract a couple of files, one of which has an extension of .bin. The .bin file is the update file that should be copied to the memory card.</p>

<p>The .bin file must be copied to the root level of the memory card, not into the DCIM or any other folder. The camera only looks in the root for the update file.</p>

<p> </p>