Attaching Leica M mount to Canon Eos body?

andrew_keam

<p>Hi, I was just wondering if I was to have an adaptor made for a Leica M to Canon Eos whether this would be at useable? I realise that the mirror gets in the way and the flange difference is there and that you would lose infinity focus but would it work for head shots, moderate body shots etc etc.. Or would it be more like attaching an extension tube onto a lens and you would only be able to take closeups/macro shots? The lens I was thinking of was the SLR magic 50mm 0.95 Hyperprime and from what I can see of this lens, I would only ever really be taking those types of shots anyway....</p>

<p>Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated! </p>

<p> </p>

<p>You may be interested in this if you haven't seen it: http://72.32.6.157/~rbensonarch/blog/?page_id=247<br>

The new Canon EOS M has a shorter distance even than Leica M (18mm versus 27.8mm, according to Wikipedia) so an adaptor sounds entirely feasible. I don't know if any such adaptor is for sale.<br>

Otherwise, I think the difference in flange distance is just too great.</p>

With such an adapter at best with a 50mm lens at infinity focus setting you'd only be able to focus on a subject area

roughly approximately 3 x 4.5 inches in dimension only a few inches in front of the lens so in effect you'd have a really,

really close focusing lens with a microscopically shallow depth of field at f/0.95.

Which could yield very interesting results!

<p>Details of nasal hair hey? Quite the niche market no doubt :) Great, thanks for all the responses! To Ed Davis, I literally posted that same link in someone elses post last night when I posted this... Looks interesting indeed, just need a spare 5DII to hack up..</p>

<p>That Canonica is among the ugliest contraptions I've ever seen. It's like a beautiful woman with her eyes and mouth sewed shut and a fire hydrant superglued to her chest.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>Thanks for reminding us of Fotodiox. For a long time, the outfit seemed to be moribund, but it's good to see them back in their old form.<br>

Not the cheapest, but better quality, on the whole, than the "consumer grade" adapters - some of which they also offer.</p>