Canon 650D - 25600 ISO setting - Best settings for noise removal at Adobe Raw

trakakis

<p>I don't have a 650D, but for every Canon I've used there is a menu setting that allows the "expanded" ISO range to be used.<br>

Found it: in the manual--pg 294. It's in the C.Fn I (exposure) menu. C.Fn-2 ISO expansion<br>

<br />Once you set this to "H", then you will be able to set your ISO up to 25,600 using the normal method of setting ISO. </p>

<p>I haven't shot a cropped sensor body at 25600 ISO, so I'm unable to offer direct advice on dealing with noise. A couple things though. First, think of what you'll do as noise <strong>reduction</strong> rather than noise removal. While you can make a photograph at those very high ISO values, you usually do so knowing full well that the IQ of the resulting image will be reduced a great deal. You choose these settings in most cases simply because the only alternative is not making a photograph at all.</p>

<p>In a general sense, what you'll do in terms of noise reduction will include the following:</p>

<ul>

<li>Be careful to avoid underexposure, as this will make the noise even worse than it will normally be at that very high ISO - but also be a bit careful about over-exposure for the usual reasons</li>

<li>So that you can see what is happening as you apply NR, work at 100% magnification as you adjust settings.</li>

<li>However, remain aware that you can tolerate some degree of noise that is visible at 100% since it won't be visible at your normal target resolution, especially if you are making small images for web sharing.</li>

<li>Do not attempt settings that "remove" noise, since they will also likely remove detail that you want to keep in the image, and such overuse of NR can also create a "plastic" looking photograph.</li>

<li>You'll like want to crank the luminance NR setting quite high, again while viewing at 100%.</li>

<li>Then increase the chroma (color) noise setting as needed.</li>

<li>If you have any sharpening applied in ACR, also raise the mask fader a bit while holding down the option key (Mac) and constrain the sharpening to edges, keeping it away from areas of smooth gradients.</li>

</ul>

<p>Dan</p>