Help recovering lost CF images - D700

jasonsmith

<p>I'm with Wouter on this one - figure out why the card isn't working before pointing a bunch of random programs at the card and seeing if you get anywhere. It might work, or you might waste hours of your life while these pieces of software copy the 363 photos that Windows (or whatever OS) was originally able to copy. If I were going that route I would definitely use PhotoRec as James mentioned.</p>

<p>Depending on what the issue is you may be able to take disk image of the entire card, and see if you can recover more of the files that way. Cards do wear out...</p>

<p><< Go to LR's Preferences\File Handling to see if the "Compatibility" dropdown box shows "Camara Raw 7.1 and later". >></p>

<p>If this turns out to be a Lightroom problem and you are not able to update to Camara Raw 7.1 (e.g., you are not using Photoshop CS5 or 6), a workaround would be to Import the NEF images using "Copy to DNG". Then LR will be able to see them.</p>

<p>Hope this helps (shooting in the dark).</p>

<p>1. Connect the camera to your computer via the Nikon supplied USB cable<br>

2. Fire up Nikon Transfer and ViewNX2<br>

3. If the files are there you will see them being imported into View NX2.<br>

4. If they are raws you can save them in a file on your computer called Images-date-etc. This is your first archive.<br>

5. Using View NX2 to convert them to Tifs and save them in another folder. You then have all the proprietary stuff Nikon have in their raw files save as a tif that can be used with any editor.<br>

Fire up your favourite editor and load the tiff files and do your stuff.</p>

<p>Note: if you can't get past item 3, the chances are not good, but if you can see the jpegs on the camera, you should be fine.</p>

<p>When you have loaded all the files from the CF card and you have your nefs and tifs, only then reformat the CF card in the camera. This minimises the risk of damaging the CF card or the pins in the camera. If you also use a card reader you are doubling up the risk of damaging the CF card again.</p>

<p>Many people will argue that Nikons software is rubbish, but for a straight import of files from the D700 to the computer, in my opinion its the easiest, specially if the files are nefs. The firmware in the camera talks to the software in the computer and they collaborate.</p>

<p>I don't want to get into a argument about which is the best editor, but the above is the safest way to getting nefs into your computer from your camera. You only remove the CF card from the camera after you have the two folders, raw nefs and tifs.</p>

<p>Don't you hate these "hit and run" threads where the OP never bothers to give any feedback?</p>

<p>Was any of the advice useful Jason? Throw us a bone. Otherwise, as has already happened, it'll just degenerate into a bit of an argument over the cause, but based on no real evidence whatsoever.</p>

<p>Rodeo Joe and Mike, we don't require or even expect any OP to respond within a certain time limit. This thread is barely one day old. Let's be a bit patient. It is possible that the OP is busy with other things in life.</p>

<p>In some cases the follow ups are merely debates among other people, sometimes on tangential subjects, and the OP may lose interest.</p>

<p>Shun, that is indeed true, but to an extent the idea of having a forum with archives is that someone with a problem can search for, and hopefully find, an answer.</p>

<p>That only works if the OP returns...even if they tried all our suggestions and they didn't work. That at least provides a list of things to try <em><strong>last</strong></em>...:-)</p>

<p>However, I have every faith the OP will return with good news, hopefully.</p>

• 2 weeks later...