Japanese deal and Zorki blues

<p>Hi CMC lovers. I have not been able to post for a long time now. That doesn't mean I have not been dipping my hands into classic cameras world. Recently I have aquired two cameras. First one is an Olympus 35RC that a friend of mine bought for me at a local garage sale for few dollars, although the camera is a bit handicapped it is a beauty. I got a new Ari Zinc battery for it and took it out for a spin. Second camera is a Zorki C I got on the bay for 20+ dollars from a guy in Ohio. I love this Zorki it's a good looking camera. I took Olympus and the Zorki out for a spin on Saturday. We had 30F temps here in Chicago, but the 35RC worked very well. I cannot, however, say the same about the Zorki. The minute the cold got its grip on it, it started to act up. The shutter would slow down or not operate when release was pressed in. Anyways I got through it all. For Zorki I used Kentmere 400 film and for the Olympus I used my last roll of Delta 100. I developed both in Rodinal The Delta I did for 13.5 minutes agitating every minute 5 times, just like I do with my 120 Acros. Kentmere I did for 20 minutes in 1+50 Rodinal and I agitated it 5 times every 5 minutes.<br>

Zorki, like I already said didnt work well. Check it out for yourself and give me your opinions. When in room temps the shutter seems to work and sounds correct. Some frames were half under and half over exposed. I used the same meter as for my other cameras and I have never had an issue.<br>

35RC I used it's Auto Function and played with the shutter.<br>

Here I present you the cameras</p><div>00b41B-505885684.JPG.7a5a7006af25bb6af883b98479ee597c.JPG</div>

<p>Last one, my wife Anna and our two year old Anita are working on their puzzles.<br /> I hope you enjoyed the photos let me know what you think</p>

<p>Olympus seems to be a good preformer and the Zorki might need some work. I have another Zorki comming from Poland. It is a 4K flavour.</p><div>00b41T-505886584.jpg.21e272f90e224969ba8ddc7cb0e66648.jpg</div>

<p>Nice shots, Kris. I'm presently cleaning up a couple of TLRs I picked up locally and planning to take them out for testing in the next couple of weeks. The Zorki sounds like some of the lubricants may need replacing, I sort of did the same thing with a couple of old Ricoh 500s, and once I flushed out the shutter mechanisms, they seem to be spot on. Keep the photos coming, your local shots are always interesting.</p>

<p>The Zorki will likely be fine after a cla. Curtain drag is common in these old beasts. Something about the yak fat lubricants, (or was it tractor grease) congealing after 50 years or so. Seriously, I habe a Fed 1, Fed 3 and some Zenits. After a little cleanup, they work fine.</p>

<p>It looks as though the shutter is sticky in the zorki. A couple of things may be the causes. As it is a Zorki C you cannot see the curtains from the back. So remove the lens and view through the lens mount some dry runs at different speeds to see if it is sticky. From the bottom you can then flush clean the spindle anchorages with petrol [gas] or alcohol and then lubricate with drops of watch oil. you can also lubricate the top ends from inside the through the lens mount opening.<br>

If the shutter is not sticky, then some thing really silly happens with a lot of us. Sometimes our finger rubs against rotating speed selector knob and retards it. Please check if that is so or if some other obstruction is happening. Zorki C is a mighty good camera. It is also easy to do a full CLA. I have posted a full dis-assembly and CLA routine link to my web Picasa Album a few months ago on PN. It may help. Best. SP</p>

<p>Subbarayan, I wore gloves when shooting with this camera so yes, the leather could be touching the selector wheel. I ran it again at home and it works like magic. I tested the "finger issue" and yes it would stop the shutter mid travel and sometimes it would cause the rear courtain to catch up with the first one resulting in no exposure. I had three frames like that. I will be more careful next time I am shooting with it. Thnx.</p>

<p>Great series the later shots were all excellent were they also the Zorki? Or are some the Oly? I think the tone you've got on the B&W is really nice the detail on the Lion shot was nice and I loved the "city" look on "north Michigan Ave" I think city photography is always cool and what better place than Chicago! Great town! </p>

<p>Chuck, Only first three shots were from Zorki, others were from an Olympus. I believe that the 3rd Zorki shot was the best of the whole roll. I will run some more film through it so I can see if the shutter isse was my gloves or the cold. This time, however, I will use Fuji Acros instead of Kentmere.</p>

<p>Looks like your Russian is a snowbird. Sometimes when you keep snapping the shutter every day on an old camera the shutter begins to remember what it is supposed to do. I just bought a gorgeous Yashicamat that looks brand new. When I got it the shutter was set at one second and it doesn't want to do anythng else. Worse comes to worse I'll get it repaired. I have another YM that I've owned since the 1960s and it still I works fine, even if I don't. Especially in cold weather.</p>