To Repair or Replace

andrew_becker1

<p>Hi,<br>

After using an old Kiev 6C consistently for over a year, it seems that it's beginning to have some issues. Namely, the shutter will fire immediately after cocking the shutter. I was wondering whether I should replace the Kiev 6c with something a little more reliable that can still use the lenses (Pentacon Six TL) or I should repair it. Reasons why? If you say repair it, where can I get it repaired?</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>Andrew</p>

<p>Some history may help.</p>

<p>All these 120 cameras with a mirror box and a straight film path, AKA "big 35"s, seem to have originated with the Reflex Korelle. Derivatives include the Agiflex, Praktisix, Pentacon Six and Exakta 66 model II but NOT the Pentax 67 nor the Norita Reflex, although they have a similar appearance.</p>

<p>All seem to share fragile film advances and problems with the shutter release mechanisms. I've owned examples of all of them and none were problem free. If I still had a collection of Pentacon Six breach lock lenses, I think I'd consider the Hartblei range. They're a bit pricey but seem to have a reasonable reputation. They're FSU designs that, it is claimed, have been totally rebuilt.</p>

<p>Any of the earlier models will be getting pretty worn by now, but late Pentacon Six examples can be very cheap without lenses and do have a better reputation than their siblings.</p>

<p>You'd have to get some quotes to confirm but I think you may find repair more expensive than replacement.</p>

<p>Although I have a Pentacon 6TL which works fine, except for the always tricky film loading, it is by no means a certainty that the Pentacons are in fact "a little more reliable". Persons locally who have the Kievs believe them to be superior to the Pentacon in durability and build quality. <br>

Whether this is true or not, the "rebuilt to spec" versions of the Soviet cameras mentioned by H.P. may be a good option. Of the Pentacons, the 6TL version is the one to get.</p>

<p>Replace ..<br>

With so many good Volvos and Toyotas parked in the garage, waiting to driven, why would anyone want to stuff around tinkering with a Lada ...<br>

Check out the Hasselblads and Mamiyas on eBay etc. Do you know that the Kiev is basically a poor copy of the earliest Haselblads, which were discontinued, for all the reasons they were replaced with a completely redesigned mechanism? (If that makes sense) Come on Andrew, keep it as a memento and treat yourself to something nice ;-)</p>

<p>You might want to consider a Mamiya 645 body that can probably be bought for less than a working Pentacon 6, and almost certainly for less than any repair cost. Add a P6 to M645 adapter and you're set to keep using those excellent CZ lenses.</p>

<p>"After using an old Kiev 6C consistently for over a year" - It lasted over a year?</p>

<p>@Kevin. Comparing the Kiev6/60 to a Lada is an insult to Ladas!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do you know that the Kiev is basically a poor copy of the earliest Haselblads</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Kevin - there never was a Hasselblad which looked or operated remotely like Andrew's Kiev 6C. Check your models before jumping in!</p>

<p>I certainly prefer my Mamiya 645 bodies to the P6-mount bodies I've used (Arax-60, Kiev 6C, and Pentacon Six TL) - BUT - there's one thing the P6 ecosystem has that the 645 ecosystem doesn't - 6x6 format photos! If that's what Andrew wants, a 645 ain't going to help.</p>