How many times does it take?

<p>I try to live without regret, which means that when I make a decision about something, I do my best to accept the ramifications of that decision. Usually, this means I'm loaded down with more equipment than I genuinely need (and I grumble, mostly to myself, about reducing my load next time). Occasionally it means I have my smartphone, or nothing. Several years ago, I was on the Pamir Plateau in extreme western China, riding a camel, watching the sunset light up a pair of 25,000 ft. mountains rising above a lake, and no camera in hand (which was a Hasselblad 501CM back at camp, loaded with Delta 100 anyway). I made a clear, satisfying decision that I would just enjoy the most beautiful sunset of my life with no recording method. It was stunning, and I didn't have to think about settings or compositions or any of that, and just enjoyed the light. Try it sometime.</p>

<p>I spend about 25% of the year photographing. On those days photography comes first, second, third and so on. Virtually all of that is trips away from home. If I need to miss meals or get up at 4 am to get the photographs I want then so be it. I enjoy just about every minute of it, though clearly conditions dictate that there might be some diappointments along the way.</p>

<p>Maybe one of the reasons I enjoy my photography trips so much is that on the other days of the year, I don't photograph at all. I carry a phone with a camera , but I don't use it- I emptied my phone of photographs today and there were four. I don't carry a p&s. I'm not looking for photographs and thats probably why I have no regrets about photos not taken - I'm probably not even aware. Now none of this says that I'm not active on matters connected with photography pretty much every day. I research and plan and organise my/our trips. I look at a lot of photographs. I make stock agency submissions and make the files they want. I make print files for galleries and any other prints I may have sold and get the prints made. I put together any presentations I need to make and occasionally find time to make a Blurb book or two. I administer my small photo business, explore new sales channels and so on. I check in on Photo.net most days, sometimes more than once I'm still a photographer, I'm just not taking pictures and to be honest not getting myself into environments where I'm really going to want to photograph.</p>