Canon Thursday Photo 2012: #46

nathangardner

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Hey Mike Stemberg!...glad to see you here. Nice contribution to the thread!</p>

<p>There are so many good photos this time around. You guys just rock! You're getting better and better (if that's possible). A couple of standouts to me that I didn't mention earlier...<br>

Phil B, the bridge shots are terrific!<br>

Rick Du Boisson, thanks for the nice comment. I love the llama shot at Machu Picchu.<br>

Laura W, I like the reflection although I might have increased the contrast a bit.<br>

Tomek, flash or not, it's still a nice shot. The subjects are very engaged. I'm not sure I like the composition, with the guy partially in the frame.<br>

Bill K, very good shot of the red-shouldered hawk. We have a bunch of those around these parts.<br>

Mark Anthony Kathurima, sometimes you just have to get out there. You did, and it paid off. Very nice.<br>

Thom P, the Subway shot is awesome. Great colors!<br>

Dan Ferrin, I've always loved these little guys. The are so alert and quick. You got a nice one there! Silhouette shot of the cranes is perfect.<br>

Jame Farabaugh, I'm happy to report that it hasn't been cold enough here for me to see my breath outside. And it can stay that way as far as I'm concerned. ;-)<br>

JDM, I'm envious of that 17 T/S. I keep saying I'm going to get one. I'm anxious to see what you think of that one. The 100-400 is one of my mainstays for wildlife, airshows, and some landscape work. I knew you would like the Black Rapid strap with that lens. Makes carrying it all day a joy.<br>

Lupo, my friend, thanks for the nice comment. Another good b&w at the right perspective!<br>

Dave Collett, bravo on photos 2 and 3! You've captured your pets having a moment of sheer fun!<br>

Jon Perrin, did you arrange to have that ram there? Couldn't get any better!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The Black Rapid strap is a major assistance in making the 100-400mm easy to carry around. I've got an easy to snap off regular strap which I carry also, and I actually am getting the knack of switching lenses, though it seems like it took me a long time to get that lens off the camera -<br /> "to a small child with a hammer, the entire world looks like a nail"</p>

<p>Here (since the new policy allowing multiple posts doesn't actually say they have to all be together) is one of my first shots with the TS-E 17mm, my new hammer. I am actually using both shift and tilt in this image, though not much of the latter. I have worked with less wide shift lenses (PC-Nikkor 35mm f/2.8) since 1971, and I have some modest experience with tilt on 4x5 cameras, but the tilt is the new feature here for me. I am staggered by the linearity of the lens for a 17mm. I'm not planning to retire my Sigma 15-30mm lens, but this TS-E lens is something at an altogether different level.<br /> Some body or bodies at Canon were effing fantastic in developing this lens. I've never been happier with a new lens. :)</p>

<p>It will clearly take me some time to master this, but I'm glad to have had the prior experience with the shift procedure. I've lusted after this lens ever since they announced it, and I figured I'd better bite the bullet before I kick the bucket, so to speak. The rebate helped a little too.<br>

BTW, the old PC-Nikkor was always a manual focus (natch) and manual stop-down lens. I never appreciated automatic aperture more than on this new lens, even though focus is (natch) manual (but with focus confirmation).</p>

<p> </p><div>00b2Ao-504287584.jpg.c1d9a21548249f4dc9ac8e10f85c3f12.jpg</div>

<p>thanks for the comments on the subway shot but stupid me, i posted one of the test shots...was trying to get a good setting for the glow and water movement that's why the left side is cut off</p>

<p>and yes Dave, that is in Zion...off the Kolob Reservoir Rd. by Smith Mesa</p>

<blockquote>You dog! ;-) Congratulations on the new hammer! Personally I think you should have taken a pic of your new 17 TS with your 100-400! :-></blockquote>

<p>He can't, Sarah, because he can't get far enough away from the 17 to be over the MFD of the 100-400.</p>

<p><a href=" Hannah src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8346/8192747078_7f9d3df873_z.jpg" alt="Hannah" width="427" height="640" /></a><br /><br /><strong>Hannah<br /><br /><a href=" Hannah /><br />Camera: Canon EOS 7D<br />Lens: Canon EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM<br />Exposure Mode: Manual<br />Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)<br />Aperture: f/13.0<br />Focal Length: 31 mm<br />ISO Speed: 200<br />Exposure Bias: 0 EV<br />Flash: Off, Did not fire<br /><br />200ws strobe with a 36x24 softbox set at around 2/3 power in front/above model.<br />200ws strobe with a 24x24 softbox set at around 1/3 power in front/below model.</p>

<p>Fall is here and will quickly be gone. I love the palate the trees offer.</p>

<p><a title="Curious at 225 yards by esfishdoc, on Flickr" href=" Curious at 225 yards src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8069/8188515759_6bc5d3bdeb_c.jpg" alt="Curious at 225 yards" width="800" height="571" /></a></p>

<p><a title="Reflections in a Puddle by esfishdoc, on Flickr" href=" Reflections in a Puddle src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8487/8187491839_332aa05f82_c.jpg" alt="Reflections in a Puddle" width="571" height="800" /></a></p>

<p><a title="Fall Color by esfishdoc, on Flickr" href=" Fall Color src="http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8349/8192200040_68a0dc5c88_c.jpg" alt="Fall Color" width="800" height="534" /></a></p>

<p><strong> Canon 5DMkIII with 300 2.8 IS (1st) and 24-70L 2.8 (2nd)</strong><br>

<strong>Canon 5DMkII and 24-70L 2.8 (3rd)</strong></p>

<blockquote>

<p>You dog! ;-) Congratulations on the new hammer! Personally I think you should have taken a pic of your new 17 TS with your 100-400! :-><br>

He can't, Sarah, because he can't get far enough away from the 17 to be over the MFD of the 100-400.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Never say "can't" - here is my third of three allowable pictures:</p>

<div>00b2vL-504961584.JPG.da2ab94a9eb545c616b3d6144fdf1c7b.JPG</div>

<p>For the tilt and the shift, there are smaller knobs opposite for the "lock" of the feature. The lens comes with a replacement larger knob for the shift feature. The larger knob, however, interferes with the built-in flash on the APS-C camera at some settings so I have left it off, since I intend to use the lens on both formats.</p>

<p>Sorry about wandering off, but since it's already next Tuesday, I hope it will be tolerated. :|</p>