exposure and aperture

ian_humphrey

<p>The click stop on apertures is usually a small steel ball with spring pressure pushing it into a grove that is about 1/3 the ball diameter deep. On some shutters it is a half ball made onto a spring steel finger fitting into a shallow grove. If the click stops are weak it suggest the lubrication for the ball has dried and it is sticking in the spring cylinder, the groves are worn, or both. Nothing to worry about either way and not worth the expense of disassembling the lens unless you want solid click stops.</p>

Hi Ian, just acknowledging you back, everything is all covered. The only thing to consider is that if the lens is hard to

operate properly, a good tech such as David Odess, who has a great rep, but I've never dealt with personally, or Brad

Sherman in NJ who I have, if he's still repairing can settle things up for you.

<p>The shutter dial should operate smoothly from one end of the scale to the other, with about the same resistance as the aperture dial. If it is hard to move, especially toward either end, stop using it and send it in for service immediately. In all likelihood, all it needs is cleaning and lubrication. However if you continue to use it, something will break and it will cost you $500 instead of $100, if you can even find parts (e.g., for a C lens).</p>

<p>Thanks for all your responses. The shutter dial and aperture all work smoothly now I have got the hang of it and they click in quite positively. I am not convinced that I can not select 1/2 shutter speeds as well as 1/2 apertures as they do seem to have half way points, but perhaps that is wishful thinking.<br>

Once again<br>

Many thanks<br>

Ian</p>