Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF vs. Nikon 70-200 f4.0 VR

arch_stanton1

<p>Having owned the 80-200/2.8 for many years as both the AFD and AFS, both had great sharpness even wide open with the possible exception of extreme edges wide open which was understanably a little soft by todays standards. I swiched to to the 70-200/4 because of the significant weight reduction, VR III and improved optical performance. Another advantage is that it focuses down to 1 meter and is fully compatable with all the AFS teleconverters on a D800, something useful to me as I own both the TC-14E II and TC-20E III.</p>

<p>Having owned the 80-200/2.8 for many years as both the AFD and AFS, both had great sharpness even wide open with the possible exception of extreme edges wide open which was understanably a little soft by todays standards. F/2.8 is of main benefit in gaining extra speed in stopping marginal subject action. VR won't help here but does wonders for camera shake! I swiched to to the 70-200/4 because of the significant weight reduction, VR III and improved optical performance. Another advantage is that it focuses down to 1 meter and is fully compatable with all the AFS teleconverters on a D800, something useful to me as I own both the TC-14E II and TC-20E III.</p>