imac vs mac mini

<blockquote>

<p>That's a different monitor than the NEC Reference 271 which I was referring to</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not according to NEC:<br>

http://www.necdisplay.com/category/desktop-monitors<br>

There are 7 SpectraView modules, one 27" unit which is the PA271W-BK-SV. I own one. <br>

The Amazon product (shown with a hood) appears exactly like the one I own and that's a piss poor price. The main difference is it is designed for the European market, comes with a hood along with the colorimeter and a different software package (based on BasICColor). SpectraView software which is available in the US as a $99 option (if you don't get the bundle) is not sold in Europe. The display otherwise is the same. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Yes it confirms what I told you already! It's a European only bundle with a hood, a nice certificate confirming the screen meets some SpectraView Reference standards (whatever that is), and at least in the review, an <strong>older</strong> X-Rite instrument and BasICColor software. I've written to the US SpectraView product manger to see if you can even get it here (<strong>very</strong> <strong>unlikely</strong> as in the US, the software is either SpectraView II for $99 OR the free Multiprofiler). <br /> BasICColor is an option (at a higher price) in Europe. <br /> Why not price out the most expensive Eizo you can find to farther add to the price of a display (which the OP doesn't have need for) in order to make the iMac seem more price competitive?<br>

The review you point to is FROM the UK! You can fly there and spend more money on the same unit you can get here for a lot less at B&H!</p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>You didn't tell me that already and now you are just being annoying. As I and others have already told you, the iMac performs, many pros use it and love it and that it actually costs less than a mini with a NEC. You seem to think I'm arguing against a NEC, but not the case would love to have one. Do you get some kick back from NEC or something? </p>

<blockquote>

<p>You didn't tell me that already...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>You must have missed:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>The main difference is it is designed <strong>for the European market, comes with a hood along with the colorimeter and a different software package (based on BasICColor).</strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Note to self, Barry has reading comprehension issues. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Do you get some kick back from NEC or something?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I own NEC. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>many pros use it and love it and that it actually costs less than a mini with a NEC.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes it does cost less, because it's far from able to provide the capabilities of the NEC as I pointed out way above this post. Salient fact based differences you fail to understand. It's got a wider gamut, bigger bit depth, longer warranty, oh forget it, no matter how I try to educate you to the differences, you don't get it. But you want one. Oh for the love of dog...</p>

<p>You are a broken record. Have you comprehended one thing I have said to you? I do understand about wider gamut, bigger bit depth. I understand why it costs more as well. What is your problem? Don't you get that I don't need the extra functionality? That most photogs don't? Can you really be that obtuse? This is becoming a Monty Python scene.<br>

Just let it go Andrew......</p>

<p>Emailed the product manager for US SpectraView last night. Answer: the PA271 and the Reference 271 are the <strong>identical display</strong>! Wanted to set the record straight. <br /> But this was discussed on LuLa forums in May.<br /> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=61038.msg525829#msg525829</p>

<blockquote>

<p>HI Will.<br />I have a question I have been trying to get an answer to for a really long time. I keep reading that the PA series is very different in Europe and it's kinda confusing me a lot ...<br />I bought a PA-241W in France last year. As you might know, here, the PA models come in two categories, as they are also sold under the <strong>spectraview reference brand for more money, with a screenhood and the NEC puck and a somewhat obscure statement from NEC that the reference screens have been hand picked by NEC.</strong><br />Now, doing some research I have come to read many places that there is strictly nothing different with the hardware of both models and the seller confirmed that to me but I also read somewhere that only the reference model allowed for hardware calibration and the other PA ( mine ) only softwear.<br />To be honest it all seems very obscure to me and I was wondering if you could tell me what really is the difference.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Will's reply:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I can't really speak on behalf of NEC Europe, however <strong>the display hardware is identical</strong>. The difference is with the overall package of monitor, certification, hood, software, and extra levels of support aimed at the European market.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>So for those of you in the US, the price is as stated above at B&H, $1449.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><a href="../photodb/user?user_id=299288">Barry Fisher</a>: A a NEC 27" 271W runs around $2500 USD,</p>

</blockquote>

<p><br>

There's a saying in Italian that goes: "A lavar la testa all'asino si perde tempo e sapone", which roughly translates to "If you try to shampoo a donkey's head, you are wasting both your time and your soap."<br>

No need for me to waste any more time and soap correcting Barry and Tim on the subject <g>.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>An $800 Mac Mini running a $1500 monitor?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>A $1800 dollar camera body (Canon 5DMII) with a $3400 lens (Schneider PC TS Super-Angulon 50mm f/2.8 Lens)?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I use $5000 bodies with a $250 50mm.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>But the opposite scenario I've proposed is what, ridiculous? Really? <br>

Be honest, what's the most expensive lens you've got? </p>

<p><a name="pagebottom"></a></p>