Waltz accessory rangefinfer

<p>Hello folks and happy new Christmas classics. Along with an Olympus Six, I received a Waltz accessory rangefinder. It cleaned up very well. I removed the endcap and performed a calibration. Now it is perfect. My question to you is: Why is the rangefinder not aligned along the same (parallel) axis as the lens? The rangefinder body casting is in pristine condition. The foot that slides into the accessory shoe is canted appx. 5 to 10 degrees away from the lens axis. This is not caused by damage. The foot has machined notches that fit the body casting, all fitting is firm as intended. So... back in the dark ages this was for a reason. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks</p>

<p>Congratulations on your acquisition. Is there an adjusting screw on the foot by any chance? I think it probably doesn't matter anyway; some accessory rangefinders were made in a horizontal axis and some in a vertical axis. The important issue is that it is accurate in its measurement.</p>

<p>Stephen...This rangefinder is oriented horizontally, no adjustment. The mounting foot is secured to the rangefinder body by a casting (part of the body). It seems to be the manufacturer's intent to have the rangefinder "look" a few degrees off of the camera lens axis. I thought it may be for a parallax feature. Not! as it aims away from the lens axis. Anyway, the rangefinder body can be lifted upward and rotated in any direction. It's just that the default (by the casting and foot cutouts) is off axis. Just wondering if anyone knew if this is intended.</p>

<p>The ones I have used usually have a screw in the middle of the focusing wheel, which is sometimes covered by a vinyl or a metal disc. I think that screw is the only way to calibrate the mechanism. I have tried opening that kind of RF, but could never see how to open them without breaking them.</p>

<p>To calibrate, I just choose one of the middle-range distances marked on the dial (like 10 feet, 3 meters, etc.), measure out that distance from a target (like a window pane), and then sit down and adjust it so that the dial aligns the images at that distance, at that setting. If you want more precision for close-ups, then calibrate it at the closest marking on the dial.</p>