Blad for Yashica 124 G

<p>This would be another post from me about my experience with a Hasselblad I bought recently. It was a great joy to own and hold a camera like the Hasselblad, but the excitement was short lived. My main focus was street photography, general street scenes and portraits of people. My Yashica TLR have proven to work very well for those kind of situations, but the blad was too heavy and hard to focus. I had to let it go. I could not justify 1K dollars camera sitting in my bag more than being out. Keh was very helpful with a return, but when browsing their site, I came across this mint Yashica 124G. When I say mint I mean mint. It was described as mint with 99% of the original condition. I took the bite and bought it. This past Saturday I took it out downtown Chicago to test it out and shoot some street scenes. Camera worked like magic. Smooth focus, excellent response from shutter button- I mean it worked great. After one roll, I decided to shoot some portraits. I would go up to any person I saw interesting and asked them to give me three seconds of their lives, so that I could immortalize them in silver. They all agreed. <br>

I know that there are a lot of interesting people around the Cloud Gate in The Millenium Park- I could not complain about the lack of subjects. There was a group of teenagers in very interesting attire. I asked them what was going on and they told me that they are part of some kind of online comic book and they are having a meeting here. I asked some of them to pose for some street portraits.</p>

<div>00bO2r-521837684.jpg.6d0e83fa5eb8dc57fd7ee84199a8f49f.jpg</div>

<p>These ladies were taking some shots of their reflections in the Bean and I guess they thought I would be great for taking their picture and so they asked me so use their camera to take the shot. I said that I would only do it if they let me shoot them with my Yashica. They said it would not be a problem.</p><div>00bO2w-521837884.jpg.ebc40b90ea00f66b725f851f48207117.jpg</div>

<p>Good photos, Kris.</p>

<p>I've found people respond remarkably openly and agreeably to candid and spontaneous portraits with TLRs. I'm not sure whether it's the indirect aiming that's characteristic of the camera, or that it now seems quaint. Either way, it's interesting. I've actually had people approach me and ask me to photograph them, with no expectation of ever seeing the photos.</p>

<p>I still have and occasionally use a Yashica 635, but still kick myself for selling my Rollei 2.8C. One of the dumbest of the many dumb things I've done. It was a lovely thing, as well as functional and enjoyable to use.</p>

<p>I also took my old Yashica 635 with me. I like to take two cameras with me and use them alternately. On the way back to the union station I noticed this girl that was doing some consumer opinion stuff. I came up to her and said that I would not like to fill anything out, but because she was a very beautiful lady I would like her portrait. She just smiled and posed for fee seconds.</p>

<div>00bO36-521843684.jpg.99614db39c117120de2b65bc15edcbe9.jpg</div>

<p>I only shot one roll on 635 before switching back to my new Mat. I scanned the street while I headed back to the train station. Behold I see these two young ladies walking in some fancy dresses. I approached them thinking that they were a part of that comic book, but they told me that there was a costume party near by and that's where they were headed. This one my last shot of the day. I will try to go back in few weeks to get more interesting people to pose for my "old school" camera as one of the passer by said.</p>

<div>00bO38-521843784.jpg.abc1a37ab9e88e3476077af5529ada7b.jpg</div>

<p>Top street photos Kris, especially like the fur yeller, which is great title! Hasselblads are an acquired taste, not really a snap shot camera, but one that takes a little time to master.<br>

The results are well worth the effort though, and I love my 'Blad, but it does spend a lot of time on a tripod. If you are doing street pics then the TLR is the correct route to take, light, quick to use and people do love them. Your Yashica looks immaculate, and obviously produces the goods.</p>

<p>Nice photos Kris, kudos to you for approaching total strangers. I have only taken the courage twice to do that and once it worked, and the other time, the old man I was taking a picture of came swinging his walking cane at me... sheesh.</p>

<p>Sorry to hear about your Hassy, but can't say I did not warn you about the weight :-); on the upside, your Yashica looks marvelous and unlike their predecessors can shoot 220 film as well. Also check out Yashica-12, it is one of their best ones, all metal construction and a superb Yashinon lens.</p>

<p>Love this series, <strong>Kris</strong> and I, too, never grew to love the Hasselblad, though I had to use one for a couple of years while employed as a young photographer. Those Yashicas have a nice feel to them, and the quality of your photographs is just great. "Yeller" is a masterpiece of timing, and the personalities shine out of "Smile" and "Lovely Ladies". Not having any talent for street photography such as this, I really admire your ability. Great post, many thanks.</p>

<p>Thank you Kris for sharing your experience with the Hasselblad and the beautiful pictures with the Yashicas. Medium format SLRs were on my list since I've seen the beautiful results a TLR can give (a Ricohmatic 225). Now, I can push the crave for a Blad lower on the priorities list since it is probably not a camera I would be using much.</p>

<p>Well as my Dad said.... learning the lesson as it was ..that the 'Blad was not your cup of Tea, was probably worth the cost. Like Ralf J said.. Kudos on approaching folks.. I think your efforts were well rewarded. Those were lovely photos I really liked the first one! That single of the one girl.. was well a beuatiful girl. I pleased here to see that the film of choice among the MF users is Acros. I love it's coal blacks and balanced contrast. I have a few Yashicas and recently came into a the more famous name too. I must admit;previously I was a square format fan. These days I'm uncomfortable with the the WL viewer as I age it has become well... cumberscome. I have less faith in my sight and the 2:3 ratio in say 6x9 is more appealing. I have older shots done with my Yashica D that I just loved! I know you have been primarily using these great tools and I think you've found your groove. Please keep it up with the portraits. You've got a natural feel.</p>

<p>If I had to guess, a TLR is lodged in many a mind as a "real" camera like Dad or Grandad used to use, complete with a pipe in his mouth and a slow, thoughtful way of going about taking a photo, not just a quick snap.<br>

I used a "Blad for a while while working for a newspaper (it's a long story, small newspapers are known to be mighty frugal). It wasn't very good for that purpose. Too slow, although when you did get a well exposed image in focus you could blow it up as big as a barn door.<br>

I used a Yashicamat for years and years in the 60s and 70s and am now showing some of my photos taken with one in art galleries. Great cameras.</p>