5dmk3 or 7D and 5dmk2

christina_hoffner

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>That comparison really doesn't address the most important function for birding, "How well does the AI Servo and AF work when tracking BIF?" They are both very good and the 5D MkIII is due to get better with the firmware upgrade in a couple of months. As of today, the people that I've worked with, with both the 1D MkIV and the 5D MkIII say that the 1D gets the edge. It also has a higher fps rate and its files have an excellent balance between detail and noise.</p>

<p>keh.com has two 500/4.5 L lenses for $3800 and $3500 USD. There are three of them on ebay, all pristine, for around $4000 USD. keh.com also has two 500/4 L IS (first version) lenses for $5900 USD.</p>

<p>Yes, every once in awhile IS may come in handy, but you have to ask yourself if it, plus an extra 1/2 stop is worth at least $2100 USD. My personal answer is always, no.</p>

<p>The two 500/4.5 L lenses at keh.com are in at least "EX" condition. I have bought two lenses from them in "bargain" and "ugly" condition and they were excellent to me, with little or nothing wrong with them. I highly recommend them.</p>

<p>I have seen 500/4.5 L lenses go for under $3000 on ebay but their bodies were in well used (ie. beat up) condition.</p>

<p>My vote still goes for the 1D IV. keh.com has three in the $4000 range. That's a little high in my opinion since the 1D X comes in at $6800 USD. I would buy the lens first and wait for prices on the 1D IV and 5D III, for that matter, to fall more in the spring.</p>

<p>When the 5D MkIII receives the promised firmware update, it will AF with an f/4.5 combined with a 1.4X TC.</p>

<p>More importantly, the 4.5 is heavy and doesn't have IS. It'll be a tripod queen. YES, it can take great pictures for anyone that can't afford to move into the 21st century, but those that can consider a Series I or Series II f/4 IS should seriously consider it for the potential to hand hold the lenses and the improved sharpness.</p>

<p>@David Stephens ....I would be able to afford the 500mm f4 IS Series 1 used on KEH if I didn't get my 5dMkIII. But I was thinking I was going to mess around with birding for a little bit with the lenses I have and the 300 + 1.4 then move up to the 500mm when I had the money. But should I get the 500mm lens first instead?</p>

<p>Christina, I think that I read earlier in the thread that you would have more money to spend in a matter of months. If this is the case, then I'd go ahead with the 500mm, IF you find a good deal. The 5D MkIII isn't going to change in the next few months, but the supply of Series I 500mm lenses may dwindle as those of us that can convert to the Series II. In the meantime, you might consider a used 7D, or simply try to continue worlking with your current camera.</p>

<p>I'd go for a mint lens in the $6,000 range.</p>

<p>If the money were a year away, I would likely say to get the camera first.</p>

<p>I can't find one on KEH today. Is it still there?</p>

<p>If you can find a 500mm in mint condition for around $6000, then I'd jump on it and look for a used 7D to hold you over until you can afford the 5D MkIII, then trade up. I think that the used Series I 500mm lenses are already getting harder to find. You could buy a new 7D with the funds that you have, but since you plan to move up to the 5D2, then I suggest used to avoid a big hit on resale. The other alternative is to hold your extra money and use your current body until you have enough for the 5D MkIII.</p>

<p>I'd promise to sell you my 500/f4, but I'm not as certain as you about when I'll have the money to move up to the 600/f4 II.</p>

<p>If you have something to sell, you might could get to the 5D3 and the lens at the same time, in January.</p>

<p>It is nearly always more important to get the lens first, especially when it is a specific used lens you are looking for, and in the condition you want. A year and a half ago I bought a used Canon 17mm f4 TS-E because it was a very good price and because they were only coming available at the rate of about one every two or three months, and that was worldwide. I did not even have a camera to mount it on. Within a few weeks I found a 1Ds that I could at least use it on until I upgraded to a 5D II several months after that. </p>

<p>Your 50D is not a horrible camera, I think you would be surprised by it's performance with the 500/4 IS. I would not even bother with an intermediate body upgrade, unless you get into the heart of your birding season and find it lacking.</p>

<p>One last suggestion. You should handle a 500mm lens in a store somewhere so you know in advance what you are getting into size/weight wise. I had never handled, or even saw in person, a 400/2.8 before I bought it, but I had worked my way up through 400/4.5 and 300/2.8 over a few years, so I new what to expect. </p>