Dharma Art/Phototography

<p>Below are bits from Edward Putzar's 'Zen Camera: Or the Un-Making of the Photographer'. Starting with two of five 'propositions' that are usually used to describe Zen philosophy -- adapted here to photography:</p>

<p>...</p>

<blockquote>

<p>2. <em>Spiritual cultivatation cannot be cultivated</em>. A deliberate and ego-filled head is not one for Zen camera. There is no pursuing pictures, no making "good" pictures. There is no break between the non-cultivation of Zen mediation and the non-cultivation that is the mode of Zen camera.</p>

<p>4. <em>There is nothing much in all this talk about Zen camera</em>. Once you get to doing it and drop illusion, there is no other place to go. You do not, at last, get to where all the good stuff has been hidden away. You just keep on doing your Zen camera. Sometimes your head bumps into a very clear moment, and we call it satori. Sometimes the illusions seem to take over. You practice your craft and love it on its own terms. You do what you are. There is no decorating the Void.</p>

<p>[ ... ]</p>

<p>... You might try to find where the original eye begins. If one does not make this discovery, photography may turn out to be good journalism, but it will certainly not be Zen camera. The goal is to seee a place not through "fresh" eyes but to see in terms of the place itself. In Zen camera the myths are not taken up, and, while the approach is non-analytical, it is also not mystical. It says nothing about things beyond empirical understanding.</p>

<p>... When and if the film is finally exposed and a print made, the photographer will know whether the symbol has been achieved because he will know in depth what the symbol stands for: the clear, unambiguous falling through the surface of things. Such photographs are compelling to silence.</p>

<p>... The moment is remarkable because it is freedom, compelling because it is real. The advice of the Zen master is appropriate. Do it. The enlightenment of Zen is non-intellectual; it is realized through deconditioning, the abandoning of Self. Herein is the actualization of potential Buddha nature. Once you are on the Way ... you are on It. And if you conceive this as a muchness, then it is.</p>

</blockquote>

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<p>I found an old <em>Zen</em> camera in a flea market -- a box brownie with an exposed roll of 620 . The film became a sort of fixation or symbolic object for me. I incorporated it in an assemblage. I think, if I understand the principle correctly, the Zen-ish appeal of found negatives or unprocessed film is very compelling. Whatever they are, they get my mind in a special space.</p>

<p>Steve,</p>

<p>I have always had difficulty reconciling the differences between the clarity and insightfulness of Chogyam Trungpa's teachings and his alcohol and cocaine abuse, as well as is infidelity to his wife. His excessive behaviors probably goes against most schools of Buddhist thought, which is why some may consider him only a provisional Buddhist.<br>

<br />As I learn more about the Vajrayana school of Buddhism, of which his lineage is based on, I start to see his actions from a different perspective. The development of this school was somewhat radical at the time becasue it taught that the path to enlighment could be achieve in one lifetime, as opposed to many. and that the three poisons (ignorance, attachment and aversion) can be used as the medicine of enlightenment (I am not sure if the poison as medicine idea is strictly Vajra), as well as embracing the people of lowers caste people in the region ( including drunks). There are several other difference as well. Also, there is one particular path in Vajra, that is like walking on a razors edge with a high risk of failure. Chogyam was probably on that path.<br>

<br />Chogyam was totally open about his behaviors. It is possible he may be been trying to teach the students a number of lessons. If he came across as a babbling drunk, it may have been to destroy any of his students' illusions and his own ego, that he as an individual was a some great teacher, unique, etc,.<br>

He also abdicated his position as a lama, (after crashing his sports car into a store) mainly to get his students not to fall into the trap of believing his teachings, because he was some mystical lama from Tibet, and that they had to learn and test the teachings through their own experiences. Even more challenging for them if he was an alcoholic. <br>

<br />He may have been using and teaching the poisons of drug addiction as medicine as well. Since the teachings also are not discriminatory, you can be an alcoholic and drug addict and still be a candidate for enlightenment if you heart/mind is in the right place. </p>

<p>In addition, as you probably know, the crazy wisdom concept wasn't his idea, but has been an integral part of the Vajra traditions in Eastern Tibet, Bhutan, and Ladakh for centuries . One of the most well known Vajra Buddhist teachers was the crazy, homeless, drunk Lama Drukpa Kunley (1455–1529). One of the great painters of the time in Bhutan, asked Kunley to bless his best work of art. Kunley responded by urinating on it, and told him to get over himself and get back to painting.</p>

<p>Recently, I have had a roommate move in who is really annoying, he drinks almost continuously, and his behavior is erratic. He annoys me and some other roommates to no end... destroys my tranquil state of mind. After reading some the teachings through of Chogyam and Pema Chodren, I have been trying to swallow the bitter pill that he and actions are actually a teacher. They provide an opportunity to see the compassion in him, a well as giving me an opportunity to get to know the feeling of annoyance generated in me. Also, to let go of the need to feel like I should always be in a tranquil state all the time. This view is often really challenging. Chogyam might have been trying demonstrate this directly as well.</p>

<p>There are alot of different views on his life. I am sure it had some negative effect on some of his students. In the end ( or continuation) he was found to be reincarnated again as a tulku in a monastery back in Eastern Tibet, where his help is probably needed more at this point. (I accept and can work with the concept, but don't believe in reincarnation myself)<br>

<br />Also, I am not an expert in the areas of Buddhist thought, I am certain I have my own misunderstandings and wrong views.</p>

<p><<<<em>After reading some the teachings through of Chogyam and Pema Chodren, I have been trying to swallow the bitter pill that he and actions are actually a teacher. They provide an opportunity to see the compassion in him, a well as giving me an opportunity to get to know the feeling of annoyance generated in me. Also, to let go of the need to feel like I should always be in a tranquil state all the time. This view is often really challenging. Chogyam might have been trying demonstrate this directly as well.</em>>>></p>

<p>I'm a non-practicing Jew and if the guy were annoying enough, I'd throw him out on his behind. But I'm not enlightened . . . nor do I want to be . . . especially if it means putting up with all kinds of b.s. in order to supposedly learn a lesson or dividing the world into upper and lower castes or rationalizing drunken behavior as a method of teaching as opposed to a disease or moral failing.</p>

<p>Anything can be a teaching aid. The recent killings in Connecticut might teach us about guns and violence and mental illness. Doesn't mean the events or perpetrators need or deserve to be embraced for what they might teach us.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>Something to consider, Don, is that your roommate's behavior might not be all about you or what you can learn from it. You might want to consider him and what he might need. He may need not to provide you with a teaching mechanism. He may need you not to enable him, perhaps to provide him with some kind of tough love, help him get to an AA meeting, or something like that.</p>

<p>This can relate to photography in terms of ego, selfishness, connection, exploitation, and empathy. Tranquility doesn't seem like much of an endgame to me.</p>

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

<p>I appreciate the suggestions on the books (and roommates). I came up with some other books along the same lines. If anyone has read and can comment on them I would appreciate it. I am in the middle of reading - The Unknown Craftsman by Yanagi Sōetsu.</p>

<p>1. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0918172020/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER">In Praise of Shadows</a> - Junichiro Tanizaki;</p>

<p>2. Wabi-Sabi: for Artists, Designers, Poets & Philosophers<br>

Leonard Koren</p>

<p>3. Tao of Photography: Seeing Beyond Seeing<br />Philippe L. Gros</p>

<p>4. Zen and the Magic of Photography: Learning to See and to Be through Photography<br>

Wayne Rowe</p>

<p>5. Zen in the Art of Photography<br />Robert Leverant</p>

<p>6. The Zen of Creativity: Cultivating Your Artistic Life<br />by John Daido Loori</p>

<p>7. The Zen of Photography: How to Take Pictures With Your Mind's Camera<br />by Paul Lester PhD</p>

<strong><br /></strong>

<p>Fred said:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I am not necessarily attempting to share an original moment with a viewer. I am sharing a photo with them, something that doesn't necessarily represent that original moment for me at all.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks for sharing this. I do differ from you on this point. For me the photo is a symbolic representation of the "moment" that I am attempting to capture with my camera, and I am trying to share this with others and to enjoy it again myself. Looking at a print is a "different moment," as you say, I certainly agree. In photos that I like a lot I find repeated viewings adds to the richness of the experience, as in all great art. Truthfully, I never really thought about any of this much until participating in some of our threads here. I can feel my mind stretching. . . . .kind of like working out!</p>

<p>Don, I can appreciate your struggles in your living situation with the alcoholic. Balancing compassion with annoyance. I work with alcoholics and addicts every day and believe me some of them are brilliant people, or had that potential. Its easy for me to be compassionate because I don't have to live with any of them. Addiction is a chronic and fatal disease though. Its sad to see someone's life wasting away in this manner. Maybe Chogyam Trungpa was enough of a master to be aware of what he was doing with his behaviors. Your roommate is not a Buddhist master though, so it sad that he is not pursuing help for his addiction. Good luck with it.</p>

<p>I would like to introduce another concept described as "the five forms of creative expression" that was presented in Chogyam Trunpga book "True Perception: The Path of Dharma Art"</p>

<p>He discusses five forms of creative expression that can be used to explore and understand the basic patterns of life. The five forms are based on the colors and symbolism of mandalas, which are a form of sacred geometry in Hindu and Buddhist traditions. However C. Trungpa presented the forms in more of a universal way, in which one does not need to be a practitioner of any religious or spiritual tradition. These forms and any of the characteristics of each form can be used in any combination to create a photograph.<br>

<br />Each form has the following characteristics:</p>

<ul>

<li>Direction</li>

<li>Color</li>

<li>Symbol</li>

<li>Time of Day</li>

<li>Season</li>

<li>Element</li>

<li>Perception</li>

<li>Action</li>

<li>Imagery</li>

</ul>

<p>I have attached a table that summarizes each form. I am just learning these forms and characteristics and have not applied them to a photograph yet.</p>

<p><strong>Fred:</strong><br>

It is a good question, thanks for asking. I think I care about the compassion and well being of basic humanity and exploring and understanding the basic elements of life. As most people do. I have been an optical engineer in the medical field all of my professional life and a photographer since I was young. I enjoy discovering and learning about different ways of experiencimng and living life. Over the past few years I have been looking at the connection between asian art concepts and photography, and Indian music and photography, and rundown farm houses in New England. However, I am open to photographing almost anything.<br>

<br />My recent postings have come out of presentation i have been working on entitled "Pain, Suffering, Compassion and Photography" that I am presenting to a group of abused women in a women's shelter in Bhutan. I had to delay the trip a year due to some health problems, so I will start teaching the women basic photography and editing concepts online via skype in the Spring. Hopefully photography will be one way that they can transform the pain and suffering in their lives into healing and compassion for themselves and others. I have already donated computers and cameras to the shelter.Hopefully I will be able to go to Bhutan in the Fall. I decided to post some of the concepts on photo.net because is seems to be an area not really discussed, and thought that some other people might interested, and that it may be source of learning for me and others through open discussions.<br>

<br />I have had an opportunity to travel to Asia/Africa for about 2 years spread out over a 20 year period. I have seen and learned from the best and worst aspects of humanity. Over the past few years, I decided to dedicate the proceeds from my photography to non pofit causes primarily based where the photos were taken. This has enable me to connect with individuals, organizations and solve humanitarian problems in a way that I have been unable to as an engineer or traveler.</p>

<p>Working with others in this way through photography has enabled the sponsorship the education and health care of young women in Afghanistan, set up a computer center and photo workshop for abused women in Bhutan, set up a classical dance education program in a jungle village in India and several other projects. I don't have any work posted on photo.net, you can see some of my work www.dphoton.org</p>

<p>Don, I expect you're familiar with the documentary <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_into_Brothels"><em>Born into Brothels</em></a> and its subject, the <a href="http://www.kids-with-cameras.org/mission/">Kids With Cameras group</a>? Your project reminds me of them a little bit. Reading their web site, they describe (briefly) how they run their workshops -- and it was interesting to see, in the movie, how the kids took so quickly to using cameras.</p>

<p>Don,<br /> My zen-ish feeling is in the un-processed film with the latent image. I can imagine what's on it. Found negs are harder to explain. That the subject likely no longer exists but at the time the image was made, was experiencing life, is part of it. I don't know who it was that said photographs were ultimately all of dead things. Just a fact -- not being morbid. An ultimate mundaneity. There is some urge to put back into the picture a presence. That may be an attempt to find some <em>use</em> for it -- an object of contemplation.<br /> Here's a new (today) found neg image. An eight foot painting!</p><div>00bCzq-512405584.jpg.d8090cb57a2ca605ece351e9ede66114.jpg</div>

<p>When I photograph i carry a camera and a history of experience, taste, style, expectation, mood ... a sense of self and surroundings (physical and emotional) that helps guide me from image to image. Usually this is what I want and it works for me.</p>

<p>But occasionally I become 'flypaper' or as i experience it i become an observer without any intent other than to perceive and push a button. The connection to subject seems magnified and pure in comparison to my usual way of shooting. The experience and resulting photos are substantially different from my usual.</p>

<p>Of course I choose format, lens, etc. but there is a sense that I do not choose subject or moment as i normally do and that is where the 'flypaper' analogy works ok for me. Purity? The connection to subject does feel more pure and uniquely vibrant. Not about me and direct to subject. Unfortunately most of the images leave ME unmoved - discussed in other 'miksang' threads.</p>

<p> In general this is more rewarding for me as an experience more than it is at producing keeper images that express my perspective. and that is why I photograph ... creation and personal expression. But the state of mind is very calming even cleansing and memorable (especially when it lingers for more than a moment) . As if I were bathing at the source of a mountain stream alone and at peace with my surroundings and sensations. No agenda i just give myself over. During the experience ... No thoughts of me - of how I got there or even why I took the trek or what are the benefits. Just sensations. No verbal thoughts seeping in ... there is just the moment as is. And snap.</p>

<p> </p>

n e y e

• 4 weeks later...

<p>This strikes me as strongly related to the Inner Game of <em>Whatever</em> (Tennis, Skiing, Music) books. These are all explicitly the same material reworked for different audiences. The system strips away the mystical stuff, and adds in methods for teaching yourself how to do the Dharma Art thing in an organized fashion.</p>

<p>First, though, you train yourself to know what the right thing is. Then you free yourself to spontaneously do the right thing. It is as much about not second-guessing yourself as it is about anything else.</p>

<p>I don't know if they're written an Inner Game of Photography book yet, but it's basically the same thing HCB wrote extensively about anyways, so it hardly matters. Apologies if this has been raised earlier in the thread, I confess I pretty much skimmed the replies lightly.</p>

<p>Andrew,<br>

Glen Rowell wrote a book called the Inner Game of Outdoor Photography, which I haven't read yet.</p>

<p>There is another that I found that may fit into the inner game category</p>

<p>The Practice of Contemplative Photography<br />Seeing the World with Fresh Eyes<br />by Andy Karr, Michael Wood</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>Chogyam was quite a wild teacher, and I would not take what he says at face value. What you quoted in the original posting was simply his take on dharma, and on art. He fancied himself quite the artist, and had a take on everything. His Crazy Wisdom eventually killed him, although if you know what you're doing and never use it unless there is no other option, it can be effective. Please don't follow his teachings literally, as it will lead to big troubles. Tantric stuff is dangerous, and a lot of people should never have gotten involved in it to begin with. The Tantric exercises and meditations deal directly with our desires, and you either burn through them, or burn up yourself. Chogyam just didn't understand that you had to have limits.</p>

<p>I'm Zen, but I know a little about Tibetan Buddhism, and used to sit at his place in Portland. It wasn't for me and I knew it right away, but I learned a lot about what NOT to do, and I have tons of respect for the very few legitimate lamas that are alive and teaching. They're sorta the wizards of Buddhism, as Tibetan is a combination of Buddhism and the indigenous Bon religion that existed long before anyone over there ever heard of Buddha.</p>

<p>Dharma means, in it's simplest English translation, simply that which is. That can be interpreted as the truth, the teachings, absolute reality, etc. Learning to sit properly and quietly, observing your thoughts coming and going, and following your breath is what I would recommend. Even just 15 minutes a day will bring big changes over time.</p>