NEED HELP...thinking of getting the Olympus OM-D E-M5

ethan_mei

<p>Hello All,<br>

This is the first time I'm posting on this forum. I've never owned or used a 4/3rd camera and would like your help/advice on chooing a 4/3rd camera, perhaps the OM-D E-M5. I currently use Canon 5D Mark II and is looking for a smaller, travel size camera for my wife. She's only used a point and shoot before, so the learning curve might be big.<br>

Should I get this or do you have other recommendations? <br>

If I get the OM-D E-M5, which lens should I get with that (initial lens for compact/travel purposes)<br>

Thanks!!</p>

<p>I have both the 5DmkII and the OM-D. My wife doesn't care for either. The 12-50mm lens is the best of the kit lenses with the OM-D. The kit lenses, however, really defeat the smallness of the OM-D. They stick out, imbalance the camera, and make in much bigger than you'd probably want. One of the smaller prime lenses might work for you but no zooming.</p>

<p>I'd seriously consider the Panasonic FZ200 for your wife. It's a nice superzoom, a step up from the typical compact, and way cheaper than the OM-D. </p>

<p>The OM D has an EVF, and a good one too; it might make a big difference to the ways she sees and takes pictures. So different from holding a camera at arm's length. As for lenses - Patrick is right, the 12-50 is OK but large, especially with a hood; but much more convenient than a couple of primes like the Lumix 20/1.7 plus Olympus 45/1.8. Either way, the kit is much smaller than an FX or DX DSLR, but much bigger than a P&S. What will she be taking photos of? </p>

<p>Patrick's suggestion of the Panasonic FZ200 is not a bad idea in terms of a bigger, yet all-inclusive option so you are not messing with multiple lens options like you would with the E-M5. On the smaller side, neither would a Sony RX100. Fast 28-100mm focal length range and truly excellent image quality. Can be used as a point & shoot, full-blown manual or anywhere in-between.</p>

<p>My girlfriend uses the RX100 and loves it. The one caviat about that camera being, it can tend to clip highlights and even shooting raw, which you wife might not want to do, the ability to recover anything from the high-end runs out very quickly compared to a bigger sensored camera like the E-M5. My GF has learned enough she's willing to utilize exposure compensation, she watches the histogram and exposes for the highlights, which makes doing just about anything with the raw files very easy.</p>

<p>Patrick's suggestion of the Panasonic FZ200 is not a bad idea in terms of a bigger, yet all-inclusive option so you are not messing with multiple lens options like you would with the E-M5. On the smaller side, neither would a Sony RX100. Fast 28-100mm focal length range and truly excellent image quality. Can be used as a point & shoot, full-blown manual or anywhere in-between.</p>

<p>My girlfriend uses the RX100 and loves it. The one caviat about that camera being, it can tend to clip highlights and even shooting raw, which you wife might not want to do, the ability to recover anything from the high-end runs out very quickly compared to a bigger sensored camera like the E-M5. My GF has learned enough she's willing to utilize exposure compensation, she watches the histogram and exposes for the highlights, which makes doing just about anything with the raw files very easy.</p>

<p>The choice of the FZ200 might be good for some but if you are going to accept that weight I would suggest a GH2 with the Lumix 14-140 is a better choice ...I moved from the FZ50 after ignoring the FZ100/150/200 becuase they developed in the wrong direction for me and got the G3 before currently with the GH2 ....I used the 14-140 on the G3 which gave me something like I wanted which is a larger sensor in a medium zoomed bridge camera. All cameras can be used in automatic mode if they feel too complicated ... in fact when first getting both cameras I worked this way until I got to know the cameras. I am sure most cameras work well in automatic mode .. it is just photographers feel they need to have an input, otherwise they are just button pushers, some people [like wives] are wiser :-)<br>

Some of the decision will depend on if as alluded to above your wife uses a viewfinder or the LCD on the back of the camera ... the first way is essential when using long reach zooms ... if your wife's P&S is an older one I hope she is used to using both as appropriate the way I use my gear :-)</p>

<p>What about the Oly E-PL5? It has the same 16mp sensor and image processor as the E-M5, but it is much smaller. The IQ is great. There's no built in EVF, but if the owner is used to point&shoots, this should not be a problem. (I'm a long-time DSLR user, and I love using the tilting LCD on my E-PL5). The kit lens (14-42) is pretty good, and a good starting point if you don't have other MFT lenses. The camera's menu system (almost identical to the E-M5's) is extensive, and some say it is too convoluted. But once you get used to it, you can customize the operation of the camera to be as simple or complex as you want it. And, the E-PL5 is significantly less money than the E-M5. </p>

<p>Thank you All for your input thus far! I am leaning towards the OM-D or something in this size with similar capabilities.<br>

She has an eye for photography. She mainly takes pictures of people and landscape (landscape when it comes to vacations or trips).<br>

Yes, I also feel the kit lens, 12-50 is a bit long and defeats the purpose of the easy carry-around while traveling. I will definitely look into the primes.<br>

However, I do want one zoom lens that's not too 'bulky' or 'long' like the 12-50 and has good quality. I don't mind paying a little bit more if the quality 'justifies' it. Can someone recommend a smaller, easier to carry around zoom for the OM-D?<br>

Thanks again!!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Also make sure she wants to move up from a P&S.<br /> Can someone recommend a smaller, easier to carry around zoom for the OM-D?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>George is right. Make sure your wife even wants to move up from P&S. Most non-photographers are perfectly fine with P&S...thats why they are non-photographers. However there have been a few pro-photographers that have used P&S so it really depends on the <em>person behind the camera</em>.</p>

<p>Personally I would avoid the Olympus m4/3rds digital system. I also shoot with the full frame Canon 5DMKII and OM Olympus Zuiko legacy lenses myself ....anything smaller than full frame would be a step down for me. But since this is for your wife consider a nice P&S like the Leica D-LUX 6 Digital Camera (Black). It looks stylish and its compact. It is also LEICA!</p>

<p>Did I mention LEICA??<br /> :)<br /> <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=891920&Q=&is=REG&A=details">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=891920&Q=&is=REG&A=details</a></p>

<p>I ride a motorcycle with limited storage capacity. I also have a D700 and D7000 but I simply do not have sufficient storage. So I first tried I tried the EP2 but was let down by slow autofocus. Then I tried the Nikon V1, which I still have. You can pick those up screaming cheap these days. But the answer for me is the E-M5. I really like that camera. So much that I will probably be selling the D7000 and the couple of DX lenses I have. Anyway, good luck with you decision. I doubt that you can go wrong these days. </p>

is looking for a smaller, travel size camera for my wife.

... avoid four-thirds cameras and buy full frame only. How appropriate.

The OP is looking for a travel size camera. Since this is a general four-thirds forum it is very appropriate to mention other cameras besides Olympus four thirds. Last time I checked its a free market. There are many travel size cameras to consider that are four thirds and non four thirds. The Leica Digilux series is four thirds. And Leica has always been the perfect camera for travel photography.

That said there are a few things I like about Olympus micro four thirds. I should have clarified its just not a camera I would prefer to use for paid assignments, most pro photographers like myself use Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad, Leica...etc. Full frame or larger is the preferred choice for professional photography but there are indeed exceptions. And if I were to choose one camera right now for professional travel photography it would be the Leica M9. But Olympus m4/3rds is indeed a great travel camera and it can also accept c- mount Cinema lenses. I started a thread two years ago praising Olympus micro four thirds cameras with the ability to use cine lenses.

http://www.photo.net/olympus-camera-forum/00XN7a?start=0