Nikon repair?

royall_berndt

<p>This is the info for Nikon USA: <a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Inc-Shipping-Information.page">http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Nikon-Inc-Shipping-Information.page</a><br>

Since the OP is in New York, please use the Melville, Long Island, NY address.</p>

<p>As we mentioned in another thread, their facility in Los Angeles has moved recently; they are no longer in El Segundo: <a href="../nikon-camera-forum/00ay51">http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00ay51</a></p>

<p>I've been sending lenses and bodies to Nikon in NY and CA for 30 years (other than when I was living in Japan and could take it to the repair facility in Shinjuku myself). Nikon repair is very, very slow and expensive. I recently sent my D700 to Nikon and had to immediately return it because it wouldn't even turn on! After another 3 weeks, I finally got it back. Six months later the camera was once again locking up so I tried APS. They did a fantastic job for peanuts, had it back in a week for $130 and it has worked great since. Check them out here:<br>

http://nikoncamerarepair.com<br>

Other than warranty repair (which fortunately is rare), I won't send anything to Nikon again.</p>

<p>I have had several dealings with Nikon repair in New York. Some were fast and great. Some were slow and poor. If they determine a piece cannot be restored to original condition, they send it back. Sometimes with parts missing and/or malfunctioning that worked fine prior to sending the piece in. I sent a D300 to them that worked great, but had been dropped. I asked to have it tested and calibrated. They sent it back without a body cap or eyepiece and no indication as to whether anything was wrong functionally or merely cosmetically which was a couple dings on the lower body.</p>

After numerous negative experiences with Nikon's CA

repair facility, I began using Authorized Photo Service as

referenced above, years ago, for both warranty and non-

warranty work. Better, faster, lower-cost work...can't argue

with that.

<p>I have used both Nikon Melville (New York) and Los Angeles for repair a few times, because I have lived on both the east and west coasts. They did a good job every time, but Nikon USA's repair cost is usually high. I was surprised that they wanted $450 to $550 to repair a rough manual focus ring on my 70-200mm/f2.8 AF-S VR after some minor impact damage, even though that lens works as well as new under AF.</p>

<p>Once I needed a gray-market lens repaired, and I also used Authorized Photo Service in the Chicago area; they did a fine job as well but at least in that experience, they are not exactly inexpensive. Quite a few people on this forum recommend Authorized Photo Service.</p>

<p>I have a little bit different opinion about "Nikon Service" right now. First of all as a professional photographer I can't be an NPS member. Here in Hungary there is no NPS working and anywhere else I should have a local registered address. My Nikon equipment is 85% professional grade so that can't be the reason. I also don't know why NPS is local and not a global service that Nikon should offer.<br>

Once I have written about my repair problem of my Nikon AF 20-35/2.8 D lens. I sent the lens to the local Nikon repair service in Hungary and Germany. Both of them told me they are not able to repair the lens because there are no more spare parts left for this lens. The 10year period for spare suply is over. Both services told me absolutly different things about the problem the lens should have. The AF (autofocus) was not working just the Manual mode. I could not use the lens in M mode on weddings and other event photography jobs. The lens was not really useful for my jobs so I decided to search for a private and independent repair service.<br>

Then I have found a local guy who repair all kind of lenses and camera bodys. He took it apart and told me the lens was never taken apart before. He also confirmed me that there was an absolutly different problem than Nikon told before. Quite interesting that he could repair the lens and get the spare part for it and Nikon not.<br>

I feel a little bit that some Nikon service points doesn't really want to repair they just want to replace complete parts and panels without a proper diagnostic of the non working equipment. I have paid 106 Euros for the repair and the spare part together. Now I have a useable professional lens again.<br>

Nikon should be a bit more customer orientated also with repair and spare parts and not just when I buy the Nikon D4 and spend a lot of money for new equipment.</p>

<p>I have to add another comment for APS. I've sent bodies and lenses there and they've always been timely. I've gotten an estimate via email on the evening they've received the item. Their time for returns has been spot on for the four times I've used them.<br>

I had a friend send a lens in. APS recommended a whole battery of repairs to return it to factory condition. He declined all the repairs, just wanted what he sent it in for completed which APS did for a very fair price and to this date the lens is working great.<br>

And finally, I've always been able to talk to a person when I call.</p>

<p>Dear Paul,<br>

of course there are usually solutions for common users and 90% of the repairs. But don't forget there are a lot of people who still use older bodys and lenses. It is just the wrong way how it's working right now. I just can't understand that the official service point can't repair the lens and an independent repair service is able to fix it. Between reparing and changing a whole module there is a big difference.</p>