Help with Camera Value

Lou_Meluso

<p>Last year many of the fine folks here helped me identify a RF camera that was given to me that I was unfamiliar with. I hung on to it thinking I may use it but I have to admit these Barnack style, bottom loaders are not really my cup of tea as a shooter. Since I don't collect cameras, I thought I would sell this one, but I am having difficulty ascertaining it's value. So I am back again to access the deep knowledge of this forums membership to see if anyone can give me some guidance as to approx value of the camera which is a Shanghai 58 RF (no lugs). Any help is appreciated. Photos and previous discussion are found here:<br>

http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00Ze8P</p>

<p>The camera is extremely clean, and fully working. EX+ or Mint- I would say. Shutter sounds good throughout the range. The original lens is cosmetically very nice and scratch free but has light haze. No oil on the round aperture. The viewfinder is clean and clear and the round RF patch has good contrast and appears to be well aligned. I also have the original brown leather case in very good condition. Thank You for your help.</p>

<p>A rare item and hard to value - and it is the rarity which will make the value. Most people recognize the rating Exc++ (very slight signs of use) in between the two you quote - remember Leica collectors are super-fussy and Mint- means nobody has even looked at the camera hard. Ballpark figure for a camera with a hazy lens I would say is $400 - the collectors' market seems a bit down at the moment.</p>

There's one on ebay now that looks to be in cleaner condition than yours, asking $955 or offer. Why not

just put it on auction for 10 days and see what it fetches? Also, I agree that a camera with haze on the

lens probably shouldn't be classified as EX+ or Mint-.

<p>Thanks, gentlemen, for your opinion. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>remember Leica collectors are super-fussy</p>

</blockquote>

<p> Understood and duly noted.</p>

<p>Ray, I may decide to sell this locally since a photographer I know saw it and asked about it, hence my question. I'd like to be in a more knowledgeable position if I suggest a price or ask for an offer. I felt I could do that better if I had some sense of it's street value. I saw that one on eBay which seems identical to mine, perhaps in better shape lens-wise. However, I wouldn't rely solely on a seller's asking price as an indication of value. Perhaps, if it is as rare as David suggests, that auction asking price is not unrealistic for that example. </p>

<p>I appreciate the input!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Louis, you're very welcome - it didn't take long and it interests me too. Traditionally, condition and rarity have governed the price of collectors' camera, with an extra boost from provenance if the camera in question has belonged to someone famous. These factors still apply, but my impression is that the market is going down slowly. The generation that revered Leica as way superior to all other brands is slowly dying away, some younger people are coming through who want to find out what the legend is all about, but not as many - result, lower prices, which is good for people who buy cameras to use. not good for those looking for a financial investment. If we ever meet face to face, I look forward to the beer!</p>