X100 Or X-E1

<p>One interesting fact today,<br>

A lady from Dale Photo sent me a jpeg file taken with Leica X2. I pocessed it in PS and I can say from my eyes it was pretty good. I imagine raw files from X2 is even better. I cropped the image and blew it up 100 per cent and it held up pretty good. It at least gave me an idea the quality of images from X2. I thought they were pretty good.</p>

<p>I bought the X100 before the X-E1 came out. I love it, but if I were making a decision at this point in time as to which camera to buy, I would get the X-E1. Of course, if you will almost never use a lens other than the slightly wide lens in the X100, then it would be a good choice, particularly considering the wonderful hybrid finder. However, for me personally, the interchangeable lens capability of the X-E1 gives it an edge. Also, rumor has it that PhaseOne will soon be supporting the X-E1 and X-Pro RAW files in their CaptureOne RAW converter. Soon, we will see what the new X-trans sensor is really capable of!</p>

<p>What I love about the X100, which is carried over to the X-E1, is the electronic viewfinder that is in exactly the place I'm used to it being on Leica and Contax rangefinders I've used in bygone days, as well as the Mamiya 7II bodies I still use from time to time. That the EFV is 100% accurate is fantastic- the EFV is considerably more accurate than the finders on my D800E's.</p>

Just forget specs and measures of image quality. Both cameras are more than good enough at those things, as are their

competitors. The X100 decision comes down to whether a fairly compact camera with a wide angle lens only is what you

want - if yes, get it, or if no, rule it out and look at other options.

Other options: Fuji cameras with interchangeable lenses, NEX cameras and Micro 4/3 cameras. If the X-E1 is the Fuji for

the comparison, the competitors are the NEX 6 or 7 and the Olympus OM-D. These cameras are all so close to equal in

technical specs and image quality that in those terms it doesn't matter which you get. If you shoot raw and process in

Lightroom or something you'll never tell the difference. Don't look at web sites that compare technical image quality

performance - they'll only bias you.

Look at available lenses and try the cameras, feel their ergonomics and whether the controls make sense to you, and

whether or not the viewfinders agree with you. Do you want to use older manual focus lenses? Look at how each one

does with those.

<p>The X100 is an excellent camera. It' not a 'pick up and use' camera by any stretch, given its foibles, none of which are problems, rather things to learn in order to extract the best from it. It is a camera that rewards time spent with it. </p>

<p>The hybrid viewfinder is amazing; the focus is good enough in AF, and cunning in manual focus when you af with the back button and rattle off frames at an astonishing rate in virtual silence without having to wait for focus. But the really astonishing thing is the consistency of colour in the images, the skin tones are remarkable, and the small flash provides gentle balance with the ambient light. I normally mess around with the white balance and flash ratios in my compacts, but with the X100 I have never touched either and obtained really beautiful results.</p>

<p>The more I use it the more I realise how remarkable it is. Forget any problems you may have heard of such as sticky aperture blades - mine had them, Fuji fixed it, they paid for uplift, returned it four days later (500 mies away) and with a multi point checklist of work done and signed by the technician - and this was a refurb model bought from Fuji. All cameras have problems - it's how the mfctr resolves them and in my opinion Fuji are to be congratulated for standing behind their product. I'm happy with mine. </p>

<p>One reason I looked at X100 was it seems like good value for the money. Also it is the type of camera I like. This has been some good feedback here. I am grateful for all of you. I have no problem buying X-E1 or x100 or X2 if that is what i want, but If I am happy with a 1200 dollar camera then why spend more. Having the lens option is good but not that important to me. Image quality and ease of use is. I mostly print now for my 11x14 albums and from time to time make bigger prints for people.</p>

<p>One of the things I have done is what many of us do is read to many reviews. What was said here is right any camera today can produce quality images. I think it just comes down to what fits. I have jump all over the place with cameras. First the X100, then X-E1 then X2 no end to it. Out of the three I believe my first choice is X-E1 because even if I use only one lens I always have other options. In The end I will settle on one, but for now I am not going to read anymore.</p>

<p>Benny<br /> What i meant was I was not going to read anymore of the reviews out there, not that I was not going to read what the people here had to say. I value this site and your thoughts as well as others. I hope you did not get the wrong idea. The main reason I post questions here is I get real users views on these camera. Thank you for sharing that. It is important to me. I have several decisions based on the views shared here in the past.</p>

<p>One of the things I have got from this discussion is the X100 is truley like by the peole who own it. Also the X-E1 has become one of great interest. Even though I have heard this before. It really confirms to me these camera are well recieved by their owners. That is all I need to know because Like I have said. I have no where around here I can try or even see these cameras first hand so I have to count on others to share with me their experience using them. The hard part is which one for me. Back when the X100 came out I wanted one in the worst way. No funds at that time and I do not use credit anymore. So I save until I can buy one, I think for me that makes me think really hard about decissions I make. The reason I leaning a little more toward X-E1 It gives me the option for other lens if I choose. I don't think it is any better than X100. If it come down to fixed lens is just fine for me than X100 is best choice. </p>

<p>This site has some of the most talened and passonate people I have ever incountered on the net. That is why I love this site. When I go through main photo gallery I am blown away by the creative talent of the artist here. I only wish I had haft the knowledge that is here on this site.</p>

<p>These cameras remind me of a time when I was passonate about photography. Walking through old abandonded farm houses and buildings I could feel the history, the life that was there. I used my camera to express that connection. It didn't matter if it was a 35mm Contax camera or a twin lens Rollieflex the emotion of that moment was recorded by those cameras forever. When digital came about it changed the way I had to look at this. In camera menues were not automatic as were top camera control wheels so the thought to do things were not natural to me. Now camera are coming back to that with the best of both worlds. I believe that is why I and others are excited about them. I have not been connected to a camera since I had a Rollie GX. Even the Minolta X370 one of the first 35mm I had inspired that feeling. So when I look at the X100 or X-e1, I sense that feeling again. I donnot what to just take pictures again, I want to experince the vision, the creative connection I once had.I know it is not the camera that makes the picture be great, but if the camera fits well then the focus is where it needs to be, creating.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I know it is not the camera that makes the picture be great, but if the camera fits well then the focus is where it needs to be, creating.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>How about next time you go on a holiday trip, you go to a city with a decent size reputable camera store and try out the cameras first hand before you buy one? If it is right in your hands, the focus can be on the creating.</p>

<p>I regularly shoot with both the X100 and the XE1. I have more affection for my X100, and if you're happy to stick with a fixed focal length then there are some benefits to the X100:</p>

<p>Hybrid viewfinder (the OVF is a joy)<br />Leaf shutter (you can sync at high shutter speeds)<br />Built in ND filter<br />Reliable mainstream RAW support (no current decent RAW support for X Trans)<br />Small form factor<br />Silent<br />Beautiful to look at!</p>

<p>In terms of image quality there isn't much between the two, in fact I slightly prefer the look of the X-100 files. Fuji have not improved autofocus in the XE1 which is annoying. And the XE1 has a mechanical shutter which is actually quite loud.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

I have both and think I have a good feel for your choice here.

First - the sticky blades issue is gone - some of the early x100s (not many) had it and Fuji fixed or

replaced all of them AFAIK.

The fixed lens means no dust (but so would never changing the ex1 lens).

The menus are somewhat easier to use on the ex1, but truthfully, once you set them up, they are both

fine.

The x100 will fit easily in most jacket pockets or cargo pants pockets - the ex1 protrudes enough more

that it won't fit "easily" in some jackets or cargo pants.

The built in flash is probably a little better on the ex1 but in either case the flash is weak and only really

useful as fill flash - for fill flash in bright light, the x100 has a huge edge - it will sync up to 1/2000

The x100 has a truly silent shutter - actually SILENT - and is very handy for taking pix in some

situations.

The sensor in the ex1 is the same SIZE as the x100 but has more pixels - grabs a bit more details and

does a very good job at handling noise, but x100 is a touch better in the noise area. Neither have any

noise issues in prints smaller than 11x14 or even 16x20.

If you DO decide to buy another lens, you will want the ex1.

Don't buy either one until you hear what Fuji announces next week (Jan 7, I believe) in the way of new

products - not likely at all to see xe1 or xp1 updates, but maybe an x200 (which would mean lower

pricing on the x100).

There is no bad choice here - both are top notch cameras!

<p>Thanks Tom,</p>

<p>I believe that all of them are great cameras. I am leaning towards X100 or X-E1 at this time. The new 1ooS is coming out. so that might mean an drop in price for the X100. If I am sure I will stay with one lens I will probably go with X100. I have found for the most part the only way to tell is pick which one speaks to you the most. I know image quality is important to me but what i have come to realize is if I enjoy the camera experiece my images are great.</p>

<p>Thanks Tom,</p>

<p>I believe that all of them are great cameras. I am leaning towards X100 or X-E1 at this time. The new 1ooS is coming out. so that might mean an drop in price for the X100. If I am sure I will stay with one lens I will probably go with X100. I have found for the most part the only way to tell is pick which one speaks to you the most. I know image quality is important to me but what i have come to realize is if I enjoy the camera experiece my images are great.</p>