Should I buy this?

pc_cap

<p>I currently have a Canon EOS Rebel 2000 and am considering purchasing a Canon EOS-1N as an upgrade for a couple hundred dollars. I mostly use the EF 50 1.8. I am wondering if you think this would be a worthwhile upgrade or not. Will my pictures improve in quality or should I stick with the Rebel and just spend money on nicer lenses.</p>

<p>Also, for digital I use the Fuji x100, and I love it. Overall, I really prefer using film, which is why I am thinking of upgrading the film camera rather than going for an all out Canon DSLR. </p>

<p>Any thoughts? </p>

<p>I own the 1N and just used it yesterday, as a matter of fact. The 1N is a pro body, meaning it has a lot of features that "lesser" bodies don't, like weather sealing, high max shutter speed and frame rate, and general ruggedness - meant to withstand abuse. If you are missing shots or your shots suffer due to lacking "pro" features then the 1N is a great choice if you get a good one. They are getting up there in age so that could be a factor.</p>

<p>I'd say you should sit down and examine what photos you want to make, and see if glass or body makes more sense.</p>

<p>Well, you won't find a DSLR as good as a camera as the 1N for 200 clams. The AF on the 1N isn't as nice as some of the later EOS models; you'd be better off with an Elan7NE or an EOS-3, if the 1V is out of your price range. The EOS-1V is the latest 35mm EOS SLR Canon made and has all the bells and whistles available when it was introduced. They sell for around $400 on eBay.</p>

The EOS 3 is probably your best bet.

It's the bargain of the EOS line. It's

better than the 1N in just about every

department, has superb AF with 45 AF

points and eye controlled focus. In fact

the AF is far superior to that of my 5D

MkII. Nevertheless, if you see a 1N for

a good price it will still be a significant

upgrade from your current camera.

<p>Well, define "better picture quality"...<br>

With high(er) end film bodies, such as the 1N, the film plane might be flatter and more accurately aligned than on consumer-grade, mass-market equipment. The shutter will display less "pull" and its speeds might be more accurate and repeatable. The mirror box will be more rigid and the AF will be faster and more accurate. And so on...<br>

Will it result in a "better" picture? You be the judge. As for me, given a choice, I'd get the 1N over a Rebel.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Picture quality, I guess I mean, sharper photos as well as just being able to hit more in focus and better low light performance.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sharpness would be a function of the lens and film, not the body <em>per se</em>, and low light image quality likewise. Autofocus accuracy and low light AF performance, on the other hand, <em>are </em>functions of the body.</p>

<p>I would recommend either an EOS-3 or 1V (as your budget permits).</p>

<p>Another vote for the 3. I have the 1n, and it's a nice camera. However, it doesn't support the more recent flash modes (ETTL). I seriously doubt the picture quality would differ at all between your 2000, the 1n, and the 3. The upgrade would only give you a sturdier camera with more advanced features and perhaps better viewfinder and autofocus.</p>

<p>If the Rebel is operating exactly at its designed tolerances, there will be NO picture quality difference between it and any other EOS camera, aside from differences in metering and autofocus speed.</p>

<p>But since it's older, made of plastic, and has presumably never been serviced (because honestly, why would you?), there's a good chance that it's not operating at spec.</p>

<p>Your pictures will probably be better exposed in contrasty situations, and exposed the exact same in evenly lit situations. I suspect the Rebel has moved around a little inside, so the 3/1 series will probably be a little bit sharper, though you'll need slow speed film and a loupe to tell.</p>

Something to point out is the weight of these cameras. If you are considering a new camera for traveling, the Elan is a

good compromise between specs and weight (consider it the predecessor of the current xxD series, such as the 60D),

and actually the Elan 7NE was the last film SLR camera released by Canon, making it (AFAIK) the only film SLR with E-

TTL II, and also the last body released by Canon that included Eye Controlled Focus (ECF) but one important

characteristic of the Elan was its almost silent shutter (a common recommendation at the time was to use flash to let

models know you already took their photo when using an Elan), which may be handy when shooting in museums and

churches (many wedding photographers used the Elans just for this reason).

On the other hand, the EOS 3 had the most advanced ECF, with some 45 focus points, which is great for sports, while

the EOS 1 series were able to do multi-spot metering, which is great for landscapes. So you need to make your mind

depending on the use you will give to your camera. Also, all of these suggested cameras have a focus preview, which I

believe your Rebel don't, and may be useful with a large aperture prime lens like yours. These cameras will also allow you to use

flash at higher shutter speeds (higher sync speed), which should allow you to get a shallower depth of field when shooting

outdoors with fill flash (although i believe the High Speed Sync of the EX flashes should work with your Rebel).

Also, I don't remember quite well after so many years not using film cameras, but I guess the Elans are the higher grade

SLRs that included a pop-up flash, so you need to consider an external flash when buying a 1 or 3 body (an EZ series for

the 1n, and an EX series for the 1v or 3). I believe the 420EX was released with the original Elan 7E, and the 550EX with

the EOS 3, so these would be good paired together, but they should work properly with the newer flashes (although they

won't be fully compatible with newer features such as controlling all the custom functions from the camera, as those

cameras don't even have a LCD).

<p>Unless you go for the "last" film version of the EOS 1 - the 1v, I am another to recommend the EOS 3 as at the top of the EOS film camera experience. It's a very nice camera with features not found on many of the current EOS digital cameras.</p>

<p>Ruben makes a really good point about travel and weight, and about the Elan 7NE. This camera also has focus-point control with the eye, which digital gear sadly lacks. A2E is another great choice.</p>

<p>You mention you are looking for "something that focuses fast and accurately". The 50/1.8 does neither of these, even though it's a wonderful lens in many other respects. You could upgrade to a 50/1.4. There have been some great deals on this lens lately. Sigma 50/1.4 is another good standard lens.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I think the Canon Rebel is just fine, but if you want to upgrade your Rebel for some reason, I agree with Ruben and Arie, consider 7NE. I'm pretty much sure that EOS 1 or 3 would be just too heavy for your needs.</p>

<p>I had EOS 3 10+ years ago for a short period, and I still have 7NE + 50/1.8 (hasn't used a while, though). 7NE is a very quiet and light camera for modern SLR, although the finder is mediocre. You can easily find a mint condition one on Ebay. Eye controlled focus is actually usable with 7NE after some practice. I remember that eye control of 3 was somewhat hard for me probably due to too many focus points. <br>

And you might want to re-think if film EOS to be the best film camera choice for you, before buying more EOS lens...</p>