Recommend tripod/head/rail for macro

luca_m.

<p>I've been reading several threads. I'm almost set on the Velbon mag slider for a focusing rail. Leaning toward a Gitzo GT2531 for legs. The head is what I am most uncertain about. I've seen comment favoring both ball and 3-way types. Camera is a Nikon D7000 with Sigma 150 ex dg lens. Budget for the tripod / head is around $1000. The tripod will be used mostly for macro, the rest for landscape photography. <br>

Luca</p>

<p>Looking for just one tripod to do both macro and landscape, you may find that what you end up with will be best at neither function.</p>

<p>Both functions require firmness (as tripods generally do), but there could be lots of optimal solutions for getting really close depending on what you are trying to do in "macro". For example, 'macro' shots of very small, portable objects might be done better with a copy stand setup.<br>

Similarly, landscape work might want portability as a key characteristic.</p>

<p>Ballheads are more versatile. If you are shooting anything that might move, you want a ballhead. A pan/tilt is slow, you risk missing the shot. The bird may fly away before you get your pan/tilt adjusted.</p>

<p>Don't skimp on the ballhead, anything less than about US$400 isn't worth getting IMO.</p>

<p>For Landscape, a pan/tilt is theoretically better. Each axis can be adjusted independently. With a ballhead, changing the up/down tilt without affecting the right/left tilt can be annoying. But, since Landscapes are usually static, a little extra time is not normally an issue.</p>

<p>In the price range you are looking, also seriously consider a good quality quick release system. You should decide on one before you purchase anything. The Arca-swiss dovetail system is outstanding. I recommend an Arca-Swiss or Really Right Stuff ballhead and Reall Right Stuff camera plates.</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. Sorry I didn't specify... Most of the macro I do is flowers, insects, spiders. I have a monopod, but this will be my first and only tripod, so it should be able to help with non-macro photography also (landscape, birds). Longest tele lens I own is the Nikon 300mm. Would an Arca monoball Z1 be a good enough choice? I don't want to toss money away, OTOH this should be something I would not feel thee need to replace anytime soon.</p>

For macro work and landscape I prefer a geared head. Manfrotto makes a few that are not too expensive. They come

with a quick release system that I prefer over the Arca Swiss one. The latter is rather cumbersome to attach, contrary to

the Manfroto one that just snaps into place.

For the rail I am set on the Novoflex Castel Q - with the Arca Swiss compatible plate. You can't win them all.

<blockquote>

<p>Would an Arca monoball Z1 be a good enough choice?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Avoid the Z1. Get the Z2 if you can find one. Or, wait for the Z2+. The elliptical ball is a ballhead exclusive and is considered to be the standard. I am switching from the FOBA Superball to the Z2+ whenever it becomes available.</p>

The open ended Arca-Swiss design based clamp and rail system is far and away superior to any closed mount quick

release system. The design is simple, versatile and robust.

For macro work I suggest that which ever head you decide on it has an Arca-Swiss or Arca-Swiss compatible clamp on

top, preferably a clamp that pans independently of the head, and use it with a 10 inch or longer rail (I like the Really Right

Stuff CB-10 and CB-18 rails) and a clamp that can be moved along the rail (RRS makes one but so does Novoflex and

SunwayFoto). Being able to line up the subject and easily change camera to subject distance (changing magnification

essentially) without moving the tripod makes doing close up work much easier.

<p>The Acratech Ultimate Ballhead is the most unique ballhead for macro photography. Something I considered before buying the FOBA Superball Balla.</p>

<p>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1k-8O7d6aQ</p>

<p>But, you really would want to buy once and keep it for the remainder of your photographic life. There is also the Arca Swiss Z1g+ to consider if the Z2+ is out of reach.</p>

<p>I have the Mag Slider too. I use a Canon 50D and the 100 2.8 USM, sometimes with the 1.4X III and a 25mm extension tube. Tripod is a Gitzo 2531 and ball head is Arca Z1. I find the tripod to be versatile even getting very close to the ground. It is steady enough and light enough to carry in a pack. I like to use focus stacking and as it turns out I generally prefer to use the focus ring on the lens rather than the rail so I don't even use the rail that often. I like to keep it simple. My preferred setup is the lens with a 3" QR foot on the tripod ring which allows a little forward and back adjustment after setting the tripod. I have also put a movement scale on the lens with tape marked in about 1/8 inch intervals on the lens and a tape marker on the focus ring so that I can to small equal changes in focus. The rail is good as well although it is an additional piece of gear. The slide easily adjusts for stacking 1 to 1 or a little larger but after that it's hard to get a small enough change consistently. I like the resolution quality at f5.6 to 8 so I go for very small focus adjustments. I get along fine without the lateral adjust but I really like the rotation possible with the tripod mount ring.</p>

Thanks for replying. At this

point I think I've narrowed

down my search a bit.

Either go with a geared

head, like the Manfrotto

410, and maybe acquire a

ball head down the road; or

go the ball head route, and

compromise.

The Acratech ultimate is

tempting: light, not very

expensive, some seem happy

with it for macro work. I

read a few comments about

it being too 'flexible'...

The Markins q10 and q20 also

popped up a few times in my

searching as having a good

value, though I could not

find a lot of reference to

macro, not sure why.

Peter, may I ask what these

new Arca heads will have on

the existing z1 that caused

you to change your mind?

<p>I stand corrected on the Z1. I learned yesterday that the Z1 was revised. They now have captive knobs and the portrait orientation slot was relocated horizontally 180 °. It still has a high load capacity compared to other manufacturer's ballheads.</p>

<p>Therefore, the choice for me narrows down to either the Classic Z1 or the Flip Lock Z1. The distributor of the Arca Swiss brand in my neighbourhood recommended the Classic. He has had customers of the Flip Lock drop their camera and lens. It was either the Flip Lock did not lock completely or the user did not have the camera/lens plate corrected inserted into the tripod clamp.</p>

<p>The FOBA Superball doesn't sell like it used to. Arca Swiss' Z1 outsells the Z1G and Z2. The Z1 Classic is priced around $419. The Z1 Flip Lock is about $549. A hefty difference.</p>

<p>Regardless of whether or not it is popular, the Z1 dp is particularly useful if you shoot panoramas or plan to in the future. I find the dp version useful even when not shooting panoramas in that I can leave the knob in a fixed position and just pan the top. That way, without looking, my hand knows exactly where the knob is without having to feel around for it. Makes it easy to do quick adjustments on the fly.</p>

Nice video. I will probably

go with the knob lock. A

couple of times in the

video, part of a long

graduated plate is shown. I

am guessing also made by

Arca Swiss. Is that a

"slidefix"? Thinking it

could come in handy. Is this

what Ellis was talking about

recommending a longer plate.

Sorry I could not figure

this out earlier.

• 1 month later...

<p>For macro work, consider getting a geared head. Yes, they are slower to use, but it is a lot easier to make small adjustments. Second choice (for me) would be a 3-way head, because again it's easier to make adjustments if you only have to worry about one dimension/direction at a time.</p>

<p>As for the focusing rail, I have one of the early Velbon Macro Sliders; it does as advertised but has straight-cut gears, making it much less accurate than the focusing rail that is built into my Canon Auto Bellows, which has helically-cut gears. The helical gears offer much less backlash and more precise adjustments, compared to the straight-cut gears on the Velbon. (A caveat: I don't know how Velbon is cutting the gearing on their current production.)</p>

• 1 month later...

<p>I really appreciate all the answers provided. As it turns out, I did not buy any gear yet, other things got priority. Meantime, the Nikon D7100 is coming out, I might need to re-align all my ducks again. :-)<br>

Patrick, could not help but notice that the body of your post was taken, copy-and-paste style, from the beginning of one of the articles (the second link you provided).<br>

Are you the author, or was this just a test to see if I actually followed the links?</p>