How do you rate photo, especially a SP photo or...

leslie_cheung

• 2 weeks later...

Marc,

You know I like and respect your work but without getting into specific examples I think you may be

defining good street photography a little narrowly here. It's quite subjective and taste driven, but color,

atmosphere, and light can certainly be legitimate subjects in and of themselves. Just depends on where

your interest lies. And color doesn't have to just be the domain of painting. I can't comment on the

specific photographs you're referring to. No doubt I'd come to the same conclusion as you with regard to

some of it. Yet street photography doesn't have to be content or human interest driven to the exclusion of

pictorial concerns. I think Winogrand said something along the lines that the photographs he was most

interested in had a tension between the forces of content and composition. (Paraphrasing very poorly, but

it's after 1 am and time to end)...

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I prefer:</p>

<ul>

<li>Something that's worth taking the time to look at and ponder. </li>

<li>Something that communicates emotion, thought, an interesting action, or shows a fresh perspective. </li>

<li>Something that doesn't look like random activity that could have been snapped by a camera on a timer.</li>

</ul>

<p>I don't doubt the potential of automated triggering of cameras. It's been employed to capture some great wildlife photos, for example, and it has Dada-esque creative possibilities.</p>

<p>But when a human being presses the shutter, I expect that some thought went into the image that that press has rendered. Some street images appear to be entirely haphazard captures, and not in the endearing way.</p>