Out of the way spots in the Monterey, CA area

tcyin

<p>I will have a day and a half in the Monterey area and wondered if any of you could help me with 'special' scenic spots that are a bit unusual. I've traveled the coast highway a few years ago and know that one could spend a few years shooting the coast. But are there any special vantage points that would afford unusual shots? Wildlife, birds or otherwise, would be of interest. I see there are a number of state parks and wildlife refuges in this area and wonder if they are worthwhile. Thanks for any help here!</p>

<p>I was in the area last July for a few days and really enjoyed it for shooting birds. Went to Point Lobos and it was fascinating. See this link for an idea of the birds there.<br>

<a href="http://pt-lobos.parks.state.ca.us/pdfs/Observation%20Checklist.pdf">http://pt-lobos.parks.state.ca.us/pdfs/Observation%20Checklist.pdf</a><br>

I also went to Elkhorn Slough National Estuarine Sanctuary, which is about 20 miles north of there. Limited birds in July but should be much better now. See this link<br>

<a href="http://www.elkhornslough.org/sloughlife/birds/birding_guide.htm">http://www.elkhornslough.org/sloughlife/birds/birding_guide.htm</a><br>

Finally, I hired a local bird guide recommended by the Slough staff to take me around for a day. He really knew his birds. We ended up going up Carmel canyon, but he knows the entire area. However he was a birding expert, not a photography expert, so I had to make an effort to get him to slow down so I could concentrate on shots at a particular location. Let me know if you would like his name.</p>

<p>South of Monterey (in addition to Pt. Lobos) is some of the best scenery around. Garrapata state park is great, as is Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park (home of the classic waterfall shot on the beach). If you're there at the right time, a tour of the Point Sur Lighthouse is another fun thing to do. http://www.pointsur.org<br>

If you go north to Moss Landing, go just a little north of the bridge and take Jetty Road left into the park. It's a good spot for birds. Last time there, I also saw a number of sea otters in telephoto distance. The visitor center at elkhorn slough is a good place to start several nice walks. There should be a good supply of overwintering birds there now. Turn inland at Dolan Road and follow the signs. Last summer I saw a bunch of brown pelicans and phalaropes at Kirby Park to the north on Elkhorn road. See Google maps for details. </p><div>00bDCV-512571684.jpg.630247ad4a4a9ab736cc339e77fd10d3.jpg</div>

<p>How does Point Lobos qualify as "out of the way," which is what the poster asked? The last time I was there, there must have been at least twenty tripods in just the area I walked. There were three people with tripods in the water. It might as well be a train station in a major city.</p>

<p>I would recommend that you take Carmel Valley Road east and just keep going. The parks out that way are much less worn out by photographers.</p>

<p>If you're looking for wildlife, Elkhorn Slough(ElkhornSlough.org) area at Moss Landing is nice and a little off the beaten path (plus it's close to Phil's Fish Market for tasty eats after shooting) . Or venture about 75-90 min north along the coast to Ano Nuevo to see the elephant seals. David Gubernick has an awesome website about photography in the Big Sur area. Doug Steakley has a really nice book about photographing in Big Sur. Both may be worth a look before you travel.</p>

<p>I like Point Lobos, but it is definitely NOT hidden or out-of-the-way. Other iconic subjects in the are include the Carmel Mission, the 17 mile drive (the Lone Pine, etc), and the Point Pinos Lighthouse.<br>

Something that I've always enjoyed is simply walking around Carmel. There are a lot of small details that can be seen and photographed there that make for a nice afternoon. Architectural details, as-found still-lifes, nature subjects, etc. The main street of town is nice, but get off on some of the back streets for better options.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Pt. Lobos may not be hidden or out-of-the-way but is quite spectacular and well worth going to if you have never been there. Its big problem is everyone goes there. If you are not there before 10AM you have to wait in line until someone leaves as there is limited parking. Forget about Whale Cove as it is crowded all day due to the divers. Bird Island is where I usually go.</p>

<p>Danny Low</p>

<p>I live not that far from Monterey. Pretty much all suggestions on this thread are good, although they are not necessarily "out of the way" places.</p>

<p>If you would like to photograph wildlife, Moss Landing, which is roughly half way between Santa Cruz and Monterey, is indeed an excellent location. There are a lot of birds, tons of sea lions on the dock .... And usually we get good sea otter images/video there. The parking lot for the boat launch area is a good location. It is across the power plant with two very tall smoke stacks that are hard to miss. See the image below.</p>

<p>Phil's Fish Market near by is a good place for lunch and dinner as Andrew mentioned above.</p><div>00bDbQ-512917584.jpg.e639f49f185677a8a935a1b6ef90c167.jpg</div>