Mirrorless pocketable camera suggestion

<blockquote>

<p>"Ricoh is said to be coming out with the GRD V with an aps-c sensor..."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I saw that on Petapixel. I'm doubtful that an APS sensor can be squeezed inside a GRD or GX100/200 sized body and function without some extreme internal image processing. Reportedly the RX100 does quite a bit of internal processing to remove severe barrel distortion in order to accommodate the 1-inch sensor. But a 1-inch or CX sensor in a hypothetical GRD5 should be workable and very appealing.</p>

<p>A GXR sized Ricoh is more likely. That might take it out of the truly pocketable size of the GRD and GX100/200. But a revised GXR with an APS sensor, without the modules, and with a good fast midrange zoom would be terrific. I'd prefer a 35mm (equivalent) f/1.4.</p>

<p>Either way, with Ricoh's outstanding ergonomics, sensible controls and the GRD4's JPEG processing, in a GRD or GXR type chassis and larger sensor... I'm having dirty fanboy dreams. Hopefully they can speed up raw shot-to-shot speed just a wee bit as well.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Indeed the strong growth of compact system cameras (MFT and NEX) has put the squeeze on reduced frame DSLRs from the other end as well. With their smaller size and lighter weight (and dedicated shorter lens mounts) these are proving to be a compelling sell, and offer similar image quality to an APS-C sized DSLR but in a more attractive package. (The NEX camera's sensors are themselves APS-C in size, and image quality from the latest generation of MFT cameras is so close that it's a quibble) so IQ is a <em>de-minimus</em> issue. <a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/full_frame_war.shtml">Luminous-Landscape</a></p>

</blockquote>

<p>The sensor in the D90 is a couple of generations behind the latest Sony, 16mp, µ4/3 sensors. Go to DxO and compare the scores of the D90 to the OM-D or E-PL5. All the scores and graphs, not just the simplistic figure of merit. Beyond basic sensor performance, the smaller pixel pitch of the new sensors raises the sampling rate (spatial frequency = sampling frequency), so weaker anti-alias filters are used. Out of camera RAW files are sharper and have more detail, assuming both cameras are accurately focused. Which brings up the focus issue: mirrorless cameras use Contrast Detect AF (CDAF) where focus is determined by analysis of the imaged formed on the image capture device, DSLRs use Phase Detect AF (PDAF) which uses dedicated AF sensors. PDAF may be faster and able to track moving subjects, but CDAF is consistently more precise and accurate.<br>

FWIW, I have a D7000 and have/had the 105/2.8 VR, 17-55/2.8 AF-S, 85/1.8, 180/2.8, 35/1.8 (among other lenses) and Olympus OM-D & EPL-5 with the 12/2, 25/1.4, 45/1.8 & 75/1.8 (and some others). I don't shoot the Nikon anymore unless it's something like sports, or receptions where I need on camera flash. The images out of the Olympus gear is just better.</p>

<p>"a pocketable mirrorless digital camera to pair with my Nikon D90, and to carry with me on my large pockets."<br>

I too have a D90. I now also have an Olympus E-PL5 ($550), which has better image quality than the D90. You can out a 17/2.8 ($250), 14/2.5 ($300) or 20/1.7 ($400) pancake prime lens on it and the whole thing will fit easily into a large pocket. </p>

<p>(Note all prices are estimates)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Last question.<br />In your opinion, which one of these 2 do you prefere : Olympus E-PL5 or Spny NEX 6 ?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't have a NEX6 but I can tell you why I chose E-PL5 — lens selection, in particular if you like to use <strong>small</strong> prime lenses. While the NEX6 and E-PL5 cameras are similar in size, lenses made to fit the APS-C cameras will always be bigger. The Panasonic 14/2.5, for example, is a very good lens and is very small and light.</p>

<p>Despite the lack of good/small/relative inexpensive prime lens in the past, yesterday, Sony announced the 20/2.8 pancake lens for the NEX system. If this lens is good, as good as the 20/1.7 from Panasonic, then you now have a very small and, hopefully, good "all around" prime lens to be used with the NEX system. Together with the 16/2.8 and 50/1.8, you will more or less have a three prime lenses kit that is almost as small as those of the m4/3 system. </p>

<p>This makes it harder for someone who starts from starch to choose between the two systems. If all things being equal, you will continue to see better lens selection from the m4/3 side and their cameras focus slightly better. The videos on the Panasonic cameras are most likely to be better than those in the other mirrorless cameras. On the SONY side, their cameras will most likely have the best sensor, although similar sensors will soon go to m4/3. Larger APS-C sensors will always be a little better in IQ than smaller 4/3 sensors made by the same company, although the difference is likely to be too small to be significant for most users. Another general issue that people talk about is DOF control. IMO, this is not an issue that says one system is "better" than the others and you can do a search on this topic to decide for yourself. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Thank you John. Can you tell me a suggested price, maybe used ?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Last year, it was sold new for a little less than $600. I didn't think of a used price at this time because I believe only few people appreciate it and buy it. Then a lot less would sell it after buying it. I strongly believe those who bought it will love it for a long time,.. until the appearance of a G2X. I guess the G2x will have a better sensor and a better lens (in IQ, not in speed). The price may be higher though, but around $1000 is ok</p>

<p>Thank you guys. I will go for a visit to my favourite camera store, so I' ll have the possibility to do my choice comparing ergonomics. The last candidate : Olympus E-P3. Which one do you suggest me : Olympus E-P3 or E-PL5 ? Which are the important differences between these 2 cameras ?</p>

<p>The biggest performance difference between the E-P3 and E-PL5 is the sensor. the 3 has an older 12mp Panasonic sensor that has more noise and less resolution than the 5. The handling will be different in many ways: 3 has an effectively bigger, higher resolution fixed LCD, an added control dial and it's also physically bigger.</p>

<p>From the previews, the RX-1 seems to be a competition with the G1x, it is kind of the Sony version of an extended G1x. The main idea of the G1x is "a much better sensor for a carry-around camera" and Sony answers it with a full frame sensor.<br>

The design of the RX1 is obviously very much in Sony style, but I can see some similarities with the G1x, especially the flash mechanism and the two control dials on the top. Surprisingly, Sony also chooses the small battery with less shots like the G1x.<br>

Obviously, the RX1 is more than the G1x in many ways, including the price tag which makes it more like a "dream" than a practical solution.<br>

The controls are what make it very "Sony". I like the aperture and focus controls on the lens, but that's only when I use my manual film cameras. Even with newer film cameras, we stop using the aperture ring which is gone on EOS lens, Minolta(Sony) lenses, and set to F22 (or so) on Nikon F5 and Pentax *ist.<br>

It is also awkward that the camera would ignore the aperture ring in P and S modes and it is disappointed that there is no optical VF nor articulated LCD which really necessary to me in bright light and better framing and holding</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>I can strongly recommend the Canon EOS M with the 22mm lens (35mm equivalent angle of view). This litlle camera has a APS-C size sensor, and a fantastic touch screen interface (you just put your finger where you want the camera to focus). To me, it's the perfect camera for travelling and documentary photography.</p>