D7000 and a Leica M3

kivis

<p>I am a semi pro (which means I still have a day job), when I go out on a gig my primary rig is a D7000, 16-85 zoom and a Nikon SB-700 flash (I said I was a "semi" pro), but I always bring my trusty M3 also. If I shoot a 1000 exposures (usually more) with the D7000, I get about 150-175 keepers. With the M3 I will shoot about a 100 exposures and get about 30 or so keepers. Nowadays if I only bring the M3 or even a digital of equivalent size, I feel I am not taken seriously. So the D7000 stays. Also when I do shot the M3 during the gig, there is no pressure. People actually lighten up and act more naturally because they think I am just "fooling" around.</p>

kivis

Cameras, lenses, and fotos

<p>Perhaps the people's reactions are more to how <em>you behave</em> with each, than to the hardware itself?</p>

<p>In other contexts, this is known as the "Clever Hans" phenomenon.</p>

<p>I've found that an astonishingly few number of people who are not "into photography" give a toot about what camera is being used. Of course, any sufficiently large group of people is likely to have not only two people with the same birthday but also one gear head.</p>

<p>I too find that people are more "open" when I'm shooting a vintage camera such as my Leica IIIc or Rolleiflex MX. It makes them curious and they ask more questions. They seem to lower their guard a little more. My "hit" rate is exactly the same whether I'm using my Nikon DSLR or one of my vintage cameras. Last week I shot a wedding using a D300 and a 1937 Voigtlander Bessa RF with Heliar lens. The "keeper" rate was actually much higher with the Bessa RF.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>I've noticed this a few times in the past couple of months. More than once on an afternoon outing with my Leicaflex and a lightmeter. Another time with my mamiya RB67. It seems to stir the curiousity factor and attracts friendly people who ask questions. Another photog actually took my image for his photo/club blog up north.</p>

<p>Unscientific opinion but it's hatched an idea... This spring and summer I'm going to try a strobist style project using my Mamiya (LOL), a lightstand mounted flash (maybe more) and doing portraits on the street. My reasoning is along the lines of a moth to a flame... it will attract subjects.</p>

<p>I think it's as much the way you carry yourself. Having shot alot of sports and weddings years ago, when I see Nikon (canon) user and $1000 lens I see serious commitment. When I see vintage Leica toting photog, I see artist.</p>