Who here has NEVER used film?

Sanford

<p>Never experienced the joy of successfully loading a classic Leica. Never experienced the exhilaration of setting out with a fresh 36 exposure roll, or the panic as you are down to your last few shots just as things are starting to happen. There must be quite a few photographer around now who only know of digital.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the joy of <em>successfully</em> loading a classic Leica.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Aye, there's the rub.<br /> It's peculiar to choose that one.<br /> It's sort of like asking who has never had to get out into the foot-deep manure in the pig lot to flip over the 4-wheel drive levers on the jeep axles.<br /> [if God had meant for us to load a camera like that, he would have made the film with trimmed leaders to start with]. ;)</p>

<p>I'm fairly sure that three of my four children (30 years old+) have never loaded a film camera. They may have used some of those pre-loaded cameras you see at weddings, but that would be the extent of it. The fourth child gave up on film when her first child was born 7 years ago - she no longer had the patience to fiddle with it, she said.</p>

<p>126 cartridge was a great innovation for we clumsy but pure of heart. The Canopn T90 autoload and auto rewind the same. ( I advanced a whole roll on my previous A-1 without realizing it slipped off the wind sprocket. Aarrghj) Oh and loading a steel Nikor tank in the dark was a vershtunkene business. Yeah, really exhilarating, San..Sweet nostalgic dreamer. Or as the New Yorker cartoon legend: "When I was your age, young man, we had to...blah blah."</p>

<p>I don't miss it. That's why I have so many photos of the Carmel Mission. That was my go to place on Sunday to finish any rolls of film so I could drop them off at the processor on Monday. I still like to photograph the Mission on Sunday even in the digital age.</p>

<p>I haven't used a lot of film - came to like photography relatively late, when digital was on the rise (and being a bit of a geek, initially that's what caused my interest). So, while I used film when I was younger, it was never photography as a hobby, but more occassional snaps.<br>

Nowadays, I do have a film camera that sees relatively little use. And that keeps me from adding a MF film camera to explore a bit further... I might be interested in it, and in finally learning how to develop B&W... but somehow I always end up grabbing my DSLR. So, that keeps me torn on whether it makes any sense spending money on it.</p>

<p>So, I do not know the joys you refer to. I can understand them, but no experience myself. The one thing I notice using film is that I experiment a whole lot less, because I do not want to waste frames. I would be a much slower learner on film!</p>

<p>Thankfully, I have known the joys and pitfalls of using film. I've rarely had an un-successful load, fortunately. As for the panic at the end of the roll, well, you get used to it, and sometimes "toss" those last few frames on a roll to get a fresh 36 exposures in the camera.</p>

<p>I only started with a DSLR a little over two years ago, and I really don't miss loading film, or being limited to XX exposures at a clip, or a certain ISO until the roll is done.</p>

<p>But the one thing I do miss is the scent of a freshly opened canister of film. There's just something about that Kodak Ektachrome emulsion's aroma...</p>

<p>(probably full of carcinogens, but....)</p>

<p>Marc Bergman here on P.net has accumulated a beautiful bunch of canisters, but I've misplaced the url to the thread where he showed them.</p>

<p>Here are a few of my own small number which were not so much collected as simply never thrown out. :|</p><div>00bC7y-511721584.jpg.7e01885db6a162afeddc7e1a7c289c2b.jpg</div>

My cat has never used film...I say this because she has occasionally taken a picture of her self on the iPad while pawing

at it wanting to play her game, seriously.

As for the same old tired responses of I used to use film but now have given my life to our lord and savior digital, ahhh, so glad to hear it man, what a novel idea. Now excuse me as I get out the door with my 4x5, I have a date with a ski lift and a snowboard...

<blockquote>

<p>Never experienced the joy of successfully loading a classic Leica. Never experienced the exhilaration of setting out with a fresh 36 exposure roll, or the panic as you are down to your last few shots just as things are starting to happen.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I've loaded the classic Leica, but it was never a joy to do it. It actually can be a rather frustrating exercise. It's so much more satisfying to load a camera from the back, rather than the bottom, the way the Goddess intended. The best loading camera IMO is the Perfex, which pops open like the bonnet of a Jaguar E-type or Triumph Spitfire.</p>

<p>I've never experienced the exhilaration of setting out with a fresh 36 exposure roll, or the panic of being down to the last few shots. I bought my film in 100 ft reels and bulk-loaded them. There was never any shortage of film on me -- no exhilaration, no panic, just pockets full of rolls.</p>

And you could change rolls in a split second, Sarah, or never had to when it was most inconvenient because you had to continue taking pictures?<br>I thought it was one of the Laws of Photography: the likelihood that you get to the end of a roll when it is most inconvenient does not depend on the length of the roll of film.<br>Not surprising, really. We do not take pictures, and thus do not get to the point that we need to change to a fresh roll, when there is nothing to take pictures of. So we always run out of film when we are busy taking pictures.<br>Unless, of course, we would change film every time we stop pressing the shutter button and don't expect to have to begin again soon.<br.><br><br>Oh, and i confess: i have used, and to this day continue to use film.<BR>So my answer to the OP's question: not me.

<p>I have shot many rolls of film but I must admit I was not much into photography. It wasn't until I got my first digital camera that I started to have an interest in anything beyond the basics of photography. I now own my third dslr and have thousands into lenses and other equipment. I also have invested hundreds in books on the subject and spend most of my weekends shooting. I am constantly trying to learn and improve my abilities.</p>

<p>Man, I sure don't miss fumbling in some darkened environ with a 24 back and a freshly opened roll while juggling a 503cw screwed to a Metz potato masher, usually while the bride is strolling past or tossing something over her shoulder. I remember STRESS! Ha ha. It was much better when my daughters learned to load and all I had to do was hold out my hand. They had the most envied summer job amongst their friends. And they both shoot more film today than digital. Huh.</p>

<p>>>We do not take pictures, and thus do not get to the point that we need to change to a fresh roll, when there is nothing to take pictures of. So we always run out of film when we are busy taking pictures.<<<br>

<br>

Brilliant observation! Is this the corollary to <em>you always find what you are looking for in the last place you look?</em></p>

<p>ps</p>

<p>Sorry, I can't make those fancy gray highlighted quotes no matter how much I play with the quotation marks.</p>

<p>I think people that would have interested this question in the affirmative couldn't find any reason to after all the pre-emptive discussion of film. I do know of a number of people here who would have answered in the affirmative, had there not been all the answers that really didn't address the question.</p>