Backing up your RAW files - No CR2 support

<p>I recently started using CrashPlan, an online file storage services only to discover that my RAW files are restored as XMP files. Crashplan's tech support has told me that "Your TIFF and RAW files will be backed up and restored intact, in the original formats." I have to admit I'm stumped.<br /><br />Has anyone else had this problem with online storage services?</p>

<p>You probably know this, but XMP and CR2 files are paired. The XMP file is where Lightroom and Camera Raw store data about edits, if you have the programs set to use "sidecar" files. I don't have any on this computer, but I think xmp files are in text format. So perhaps the service recognizes the xmp files but does not recognize the CR2 files.</p>

<p>I've been a user of CrashPlan for almost 3 years. I'm very happy with it. When I go to the "Restore" option, I can see both CR2 and XMP files. I just restored a few files and then did a binary compare (fc /b using WinXP) with the original files; they were identical. <br>

Are you sure that you are actually backing up your CR2 files? Do you see a check mark against them when you select which files to backup? If they do have a check mark against them, what happens when you go to "Restore", can you see them there. Have you checked to see whether CR2 files are excluded from your backups? (Go Settings > Backup Sets > Filename Exclusions to see what, if anything, is excluded.)<br>

Fwiw, I believe that CrashPlan is extension agnostic.<br>

Hope this helps.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I use Crashplan, and I have no problem with my Canon CR2s and Olympus ORFs being backed up and restored. I just did a test restore of a couple of raws to make sure. I'll second Alex Cowley's suggestion to make sure that CR2 isn't in the filename exclusion list.</p>

• 4 weeks later...