Interesting Photokina Film Comments

wogears

<p>Thanks for sharing that, Les. Although I always take trade show chat with a grain of salt since the exhibitors role there is to put a good face and spin on the companies and products, the wide scope of the report and overall upbeat news is encouraging to us film users. </p>

<p>I suspect film will follow the record. When CDs came along the record fell from favour but over the last few years sales have grown again. Interestingly the CD as a format looks like it will eventually die completely. Digital formats tend to die out but analogue persists. There is no benefit to an obsolete digital format but the character of an analogue format makes it different and thus it can find a niche. I suspect that film will continue to decline but some formats and emulsions will remain. It is likely to increase in cost as volumes decline but I do not think it will grow. To me the big issue for film is that as used cameras get older there is nothing to replace them - in reality there are almost no new film bodies being produced. I suspect that this will change at some point and niche producers will emerge. My guess is that electronic (AF, motorized etc...) bodies will continue to decline but that classic, well made manual bodies may at some point re-emerge. I think that film's days in a working environment are almost over so it becomes a discretionary alternative. Once this is reached there is no need for automation and I suspect users will opt for the simple and solid virtues of well made manual focus lenses and simple well built bodies. To this end I will certainly keep shooting my MF, Canon FD and Leica M bodies for a long time. Unfortunately I suspect that my much more electronic Canon EOS film bodies, Contax G bodies and Fuji GX680 bodies will ultimately die. <br>

Film's days are over but as a niche product that represents less than 1% of the industry I think it has a bright future. Film like many (non electronic) items creates a different bond with the user and even the younger generations can appreciate this. This is why we see a market for records and turntables, for old cars and antiques in general. On a price / performance basis modern goods always beat them but there is an emotional feel that you don't get with plastic and silicon.</p>

<p>The comparison with CDs and vinyl is regularly made here and it's wrong. CDs, vinyl, MP3s are consumption methods. They correspond to prints, books, and online viewing of photographs. Film and film cameras compare to recording tools, like mixing boards and recording equipment, if one is going to make an analogy. It also could be compared to digital video and movie production.</p>