Parks in Texas

jim1169

<p>I think it depends on what you want to see. I prefer autumn in Texas because the weather is more predictable than spring. I've been to Ft. Davis/Guadalupe Mountains in early November and they were beautiful, lots of fall color. But we also love our spring wildflowers. </p>

<p>Keep in mind that they are in two (or 3 or 4, depending on how one classifies them) different ecosystems, and the winter can be very cold in the Panhandle. </p>

<p>Texas Highways magazine might be a good resource in addition to the parks' websites.</p>

<p>Jim,<br>

<br />I've been to Big Bend and Guadalupe (back in the 1980s) both in March. Big Bend was greatt, some nice flowers, notably cactus, but also purple 'blue bonnets' (don't you dare pick any!)I loved Big Bend, plenty of wildlife (up in the Basin). If there is any rain in the park you can have an explosion of wildlife (creepy crawliy types). Boques (spelling?) in Mexico, right across the boarder is suppose to open up soon, if it hasn't already. A sweet, but poor town well worth the visit if the State Department is allowing it.The park itself is huge. Beautiful landscapes all over the place, spectacular canyons especially those along the Rio Grands.The hikes in the Basin provide spectacular desert views and the occasional surprise, a rattlesnake, a rare cougar, peccary, fox, and some great birds.<br>

<br />Guadalupe at the same time of year turned out to be quite cold, we had snow and 90 mile/hour winds (it ripped one of our dome tents to shreds). If you go to Guadalupe, don't miss Carlsbad Canyons in New Mexico. For that matter if you ae in the area, dont miss the Caverns of Sonora, spectacular. I know Guadeloupe is supposed to have great fall colors, but I have never seen it. We also drove to the back side of the park, Dog Canyon, I think you have to go through New Mexico to see it. It was ok, but nothing spectacular. I believe there are some elk in this part of the park, but we saw none (we weren't there very long though).<br>

I'd second Lisa's suggestion regarding Texas Highways mags. I'd bet you could find a ton of cheap back issues at e**y.<br>

Sorry, haven;t visited the other parks you noted.</p>

<p> </p>