NEX 6 officially announced!

<p>I have to admit that I am pretty excited about this camera. While I would love to put a new a99 in my stable I think this little beauty may be more what I am looking for. I absolutely love my NEX 7 and what it is capable of and I really think this new 6 takes that concept and further refines it. Having a 6 to replace my a35 as backup to my 7 would be heaven.</p>

<p>Sony is pretty goddamn serious right now about photography, and cameras like the NEX 6 (and RX1) are proof positive of that. Anyone out there excited about this as well? Plan on getting one anytime soon? The price seems to be very competitive at around a grand for the body with kit lens. If the body alone is a couple of hundred cheaper then I might just have to get one of these, and soon.</p>

<p>BTW, I really like the mode dial on top of the camera with the clever built in control wheel at the base of the dial. Dont get me wrong, I really like the Tri Navi system on the 7 but I think the 6 might be a little more useful in day to day operations, especially with the new SLT style interface.</p>

<p>Lets hear what you think.</p>

More impressed with the compact 16-50 kit lens and the 10-18mm zoom, which, for an f4 constant aperture zoom with IS,

weighs a surprisingly light 8 oz. NEX needed more high quality native E mount lenses and todays announcement is a

good start. If they can introduce a lightweight and compact high quality telezoom, then one can assemble a compelling NEX travel kit.

<p>I readily admit that it is probably good that I don't have one in my hands right now because it would get drool all over it. Like Louis, I will definitely be reading the full reviews. It seems to be everything I could want, and if I hadn't just bought the 5n, if it checks out, I would have bought the 6 in a heart beat. It costs less than I paid for the 5n + the EVF. Now comes the wet blanket to all the enthusiasm I have. I'm finding there may be more reasons I never got a dslr than just size. Heck, I never bought a film af slr except one used F70 which I respected, but hardly ever used. Although I like the 5n a lot and believe these NEX cameras are essentially the answer to what I hoped for for ten years, I only care for working with the 5n with a good manual focus lens and simple set up. I can't stand it when I can't remember what metering mode it is in or when I accidentally hit self timer. I don't even like having to turn it on and off.<br /> I do love the <em>idea</em> of having a fast auto focus lens, and I love the small size of that new zoom and its blackness also compared to my 5n's oil filter kit lens. I love it, but for most of what I shoot, the new zoom is simply too slow. Plus, I find the articulating EVF of the 5n really useful. My point is that I might not end up using the features of the 6 that make it a definite step up because I am just not fond of the electronic camera experience to begin with.<br /> Finally, I realize a little how the early 5 buyers felt when the new EVF wouldn't fit their cameras. Now I know for certain that Sony is not finished by a long shot, and I don't intend to help fund each generation of improvement. Frankly, I think I may be dug in, and it will take a full frame or full weather sealing to budge me. How long for weather sealing do you think? Two years?</p>

<p>I am interested in the NEX - 6, for the following; None of the Nikon DSLR's appeal to me anymore, (switched to Canon 5dmkII) ; can use any of the multitude of lenses I already own, (Nikon primarily) and especially Canon Fd. I have seen an adaptor too for the Nikonos lenses, of which I have all the dual purpose ones...28mm 2.8LW, 35mm 2.5 and the 80 f4. Size...small; and Wi-fi. It cannot replace a DSLR for critical, technical work, but as an all-rounder for travelling I think I'll take it. </p>

<p>Well, as someone who purchased a 5N just two weeks before the 6 was announced, I am *not* feeling buyers remorse. Yea, I will have to buy an EVF if I ever want that (and I do), but the 5N is just too great of a camera to get bent out of shape about that. I am sure that the 6 will be just as great. With the price cut on the 5N, I almost make up for the extra cost of the EVF. Still, I will likely miss the ISO hot shoe.. I hope they update the 7, soon, to include that... if they do, I will start saving my change more aggressively.... though I think that next chunk of change will be spent on an ultra wide prime.<br>

<br />If there is a lesson here, its simply this - if you see technology (be it a camera, a phone, what have you) being discounted in August, it's likely that it's maker is planning a next step in the product line. If you love what you're planning to buy, enjoy the discount 8-)</p>