I can't find any way to post a link in the news forum...

rapyke

<p>I want to post a link to a story about a young fellow who was recently handcuffed by police and searched after taking a picture of mall security guards 'taking down' and 'arresting' a person in a Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada, shopping mall.</p>

<p>He was later released by police, but the question is an interesting one - does the 'news' nature of the situation override the right of a property owner to refuse permission to take photographs?</p>

<p>Interestingly, the security guards kept demanding he delete his photos, but he was shooting film... Perhaps another good reason to shoot film has been found?</p>

<p>The link to the story is <a href="http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/10/25/bc-teen-photographer-arrest.html">here</a></p>

<p>Good photo too I might add.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>does the 'news' nature of the situation override the right of a property owner to refuse permission to take photographs?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No, not really. Because anyone can say that what they find interesting is news. That's completely subjective, compared to the more objective rights to control what's permitted on one's private property. Some people mind find it "news" that a gay couple bought a house. That wouldn't trump their right to privacy, would it? Any more than it would trump their right to privacy as they ushered someone off of their property for using it contrary to their wishes. So newsiness doesn't generally overcome property rights (otherwise all of those news crews you see parked in the street outside of some famous/infamous person's house or place of business could just barge in on claim that they're just their recording stuff that's newsworthy.<br /><br />As for posting in the news forum - I believe that's limited to the designated editorial folks at PN, the better to keep cheesy camera release rumors and the like out of that forum.</p>

<p>Matt's correct, new postings in the news forum is only done by staff. However, your story doesn't fit the requirements for the News Forum anyway. From the "About This Forum" section at the top level of the News Forum:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>New products, books, museum shows, and events.<br>

<br>

</p>

</blockquote>

<p>That, and browsing the posts that are there, should make it clear.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Ah, but there was a time when we humble members could post news stories of interest in the news forum...</p>

</blockquote>

The change is certainly justified given the line I posted from the "About" section and that your post had absolutely nothing to do with that. If people don't post in the proper forum...