Diopter

joe_cormier

<p>The diopter adjustment is to allow your eyes to focus sharply on the focusing screen, it has no other purpose. So, as long as you can see both the image on the focusing screen or in live view there should be no difference if your AF system is perfectly calibrated. As Rodeo pointed out, or at least alluded to, Live View is taking an image from the sensor itself so there is no calibration to get in the way. It's WYSIWYG. Of course, live view is not always an option, especially not for anything that is moving.</p>

<p>I'll add to what Joel said - the diopter adjustment resolves the discrepancy between your eye and the prism. No distance is changed between the viewfinder prism and the focusing screen.<br>

As long as you rectify the image to your eyes, you'll be fine. Test this by using a focusing sheet, or zooming a lens all the way in, autofocus/focus manual using live view, and then adjust the diopter to your liking. I mark my setting with whiteout, just incase when crating my gear something gets moved. </p>