Add-on external conversion lenses for the 60D?

aaron_mccormick

<p>I know that if I want a nice wide angle lens I should not buy an add-on external conversion lens, instead.<br>

However, the wide angle lenses (Canon 10 - 22 mm, for example) are quite expensive and I don't have the money to throw down on it right now. Should I settle for some kind of add-on external conversion lens?<br /><br />If so, which one? <br>

This would be for shooting interiors of homes, but with as little barrel distortion or pincushion effect as possible.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>I don't have the money to throw down on it right now. Should I settle for some kind of add-on external conversion lens?</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>No. Take whatever money you intend to flush down the toilet (oops, I mean spend on a "conversion lens") and set it aside to save for a real wide angle lens. Whatever money you waste on one of these will be that much more you will need to save for the lens that you really want.<br>

-</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"...but with as little barrel distortion [snip] as possible."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>That's exactly what these will give you, although you can probably substitute "a lot" for "as little" with just about any of them.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, quality ultra-wide angle DSLR lenses don't come cheap. You can pick any *<strong>two*</strong> from the following list.</p>

<ul>

<li>Good</li>

<li>Ultra-wide</li>

<li>Cheap</li>

</ul>

<p>It's your money, but my advice would be to not "settle". You are very unlikely to be happy with the results. Start saving now. Then look for a third party lens like the Tokina or Sigma zooms if the Canon is too expensive, or consider purchasing used instead of brand new if you want to stretch your lens budget as much as possible.</p>

Not sure there's an easy answer here. If you get an adapter, you're $100 further from the 10-22mm that you really want.

That money would be better used as a drop in the bucket towards the super wide. I'd do like Scott says and stitch for

now. Of course if the interior photography is a paying gig, then you could sell te 18-135 and just have the 10-22mm until

you make enough back to buy a normal zoom. If its not a paying gig, then tell the customer that if they want the best

shots with the best lenses then they have to help fund it.

<p>Listen to the crowd.</p>

<p>I have several of the wide angle adapters which I bought for the same reasons some people buy Diana plastic cameras. The results can have a certain primitive charm, but they are not a substitute for real wide angle lenses.</p>

<p>Look for used older Sigma 10-20mm or even Canon's 10-22mm. As lenses go, they can be more affordable than you might think, but 18mm even on an APS-C body is still wider than the early wide angle lenses back at the start of the SLR era, when it was very hard (and very expensive) to go wider than 35mm focal length on a 24x36mm image.</p>

<p>I'm often a very strong proponent of economical photographic solutions on this forum, so long as they yield good results. Even I would strongly advise you to avoid these pieces of garbage at all cost. I'm not averse to a cheap lens, but these converter lenses are simply awful -- a complete waste of money.</p>

here's my thoughts, if your doing this for money and it's a one day thing, and you may be doing it intermittently ,then I would rent the 10-

22 ,most of the places near ,my home are around 35 bucks for a day ,including insurance, if you have any money to pay monthly and

your willing to do so , you can buy one at Amazon.com on 12 months same as cash, this is what I ended up doing as I wanted two lens

and did not want to spend my cash or be in credit card debt,but the rental thing is worthwhile as if I have a shoot ,that I need a 1500

dollar lens I justo go rent it for the day , or 3 day plan or week or month , depends on what I'm doing ,I hope this helps, if I were going

to,buy ,I'd surely do the 10-22 it's what I bought above all others as I tested most all the comparison and the canon is by far the sharpest

and the least in lens drop off , it shoots best at 12 ,as far as wide angles and from there there is no bad shots, I use it for large wedding

parties in small church's all the time and I honestly had to buy it to keep up with the changing fads of having so many in a wedding party, I

can stand 5 foot from 30 people and they will all be in a shot that is awesome, the light is an issue at 12 without a flash unless you are

outdoors. I use flash triggers on flashes on a pole if it's really dark.

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/view.sfly?fid=18d25d29b0ad50276276141d224b0f78

if you want to see a sample , this is a Canon 10-22 lens on a 40d taken in broad daylight I,simply had a polarize filter ,on

which you need outside in the sun, I sped up,the shutter speed a lot,and stopped the light as well and then used PS to

polarize the shot ,but the main reason I'm posting is so a person can see this is the face of a two,story building ,and I took

the photo standing,about 15 foot in front of the building and the lens was not wide open.

<p>What Michael said earlier: you can spend money only once, and any money thrown at a conversion lens, you will not recuperate (second hand resale value is really near zero for such items). Save up. In the meantime, look at something like <a href="http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ice/">Microsoft ICE</a> - for the uses you indicate, stitching will do the trick just fine, and if you're on Windows, this program works great. Costs $/€0.<br>

If you really want the "getting-sucked-in-effect" of a wide angle, then wait till you can afford one of the lenses mentioned above. I've always been very pleased with my Tokina 12-24, very good value for money and good build quality (so second hand shouldn't be a big issue - the lens is built to last).</p>

<p>Some interesting lenses. I am unfamiliar with the confusing world of re-branded lenses, though.<br>

How does THAT work? <br>

I'd probably go for a lens that could be interchangeable in the future with a full frame camera. (if I ever get around to that point) The important thing for me is to keep possible options open in the future because it's not like I am going to buy another wide angle lens.</p>