Sony Nex 5n to keep?

I bought a Sony Nex 5n around 5 monthes ago for a few reasons:

- compact size with a relatively large (APS-C) sensor

- ability to use my 2 M mount lenses with the focus peaking function

- the supposed amazing IQ

My observations

- as far as focus peaking goes (I am not using the EVF) I find it relatively inaccurate. I've tried messing with all combinations of colour and

intensity but the problem is that the peaking colour simply covers a field that is simply too deep (even when shooting wide open). I cannot

see how the EVF wold improve that.

- i had high expectations for this little camera after reading the endless reviews comparing the 5n to such beasts as the 5D mkII. It's

relatively low pixel density on this rather large sensor sounded promising BUT after shooting it for 5 monthes I find that shooting above

ISO 400 to be a rather noisey experience. I shoot exclusively RAW and do post work in Lightroom. Comparing this camera to my

selection of Canon L lenses and my 5D mkII i cannot put this little baby in the same ballpark when it comes IQ.

Thoughts?

I see myself eyeing off the new Nex 6 with the EVF and the improved sensor. I've also been eyeing the Olympus OM-D although I promised myself to never buy a 4/3 camera as noise will always be an issue on a senor of that size as far as i am concerned.

The dream solution seems to be the soon to be released Sony RX-1. What a beast but what a ridiculous asking price.

Thanks David but that sounds like a few second process. Perfect in still life situations but on the "street" that's impractical

imo. I have used a Mamiya 7ii and a Leica M6 TTL for quite a few years, the later being the rangefinder which others are

measured against and even these tools of perfection tests ones skills more often then not. Introducing pressing an extra

button or touching a screen to bring up a magnifying function will result in more lost shots than hits I think?

The conumdrum for the manufacturers seems to be to find a fast manual focus system that will not impede framing of the

shot, that's why I am not a fan of magnifying. Sony's focus peaking is oh so close but i think it maybe needs to be

tweaked a little to be slightly more accurate. Maybe i'm doing something fundamentally wrong?

Anyhow, this doesn't address the issue of what I class to be just ok IQ.

<p>George, I have the 5n with the EVF and use mainly M mount lenses. If I didn't have anything yet, I'd buy the NEX 6. If I didn't have the EVF investment already, I'd buy the NEX 6 and may or may not sell the 5n. However, I'm not sure any of this applies to you because I don't think the incremental improvements and additions to the NEX 6 will much improve on your main two issues: image quality/high iso performance nor manual focusing speed with your M mount lenses. BTW, I shoot pretty much just JPEGs and find the image "quality" so much better than what I was achieving with 400 speed color film in low light or even the recent decent high end point and shoots. I mean I am so delighted with the image quality, and while I'd rather have the rangefinder of the M9, the focus peaking and magnification is workable. I agree that I usually can't rely solely on focus peaking, but what are your options? As to the 5d mkII, that's a completely different kind of beast and would never have been on my list because of the nature of it. I'm sure it is great, but we have our own priorities.</p>

<p>NEX6 sensor improvements are adding large number of focusing sensor points on the surface of the optical sensor, thus improving auto focus. This perhaps will not improve IQ of the NEX6 over NEX5N, and hopefully addition of the focusing points on the photo sensor will not degrade the IQ of the sensor as we see it on NEX5N.</p>

<p>The word "sensor improvement" may only apply to the auto focus support function, and not the IQ, but pictures focused better will look better.</p>

<p>I would expect improvement of AF quality and focus tracking with native SEL lenses, but not necessarily with manual focus lenses attached via a mount adapter.</p>

<p>So, better wait and see what are the reviews of manual focus support on the new NEX6, as well as the IQ.</p>

<p>I had NEX-5N and got NEX7. NEX5N was better for night a d low light pictures, and the auto ISO going to 3200 as opposed to 1600 on NEX7 was major factor.<br>

After getting NEX7 I thing "more pixels is better", (not for the tiny sensors in other cameras), and of cource the NEX7 interface and the EVF are superior.</p>

<p>thanks to everyone for the input. I suppose I must wait and see what the Nex 6 will actually bring.<br>

@Louis - the reviews I'm refering to are these. 805,000 hits on Google when one puts in "Sony nex 5n versus Canon 5D mkII". Although I'm sure that 95% of it is rubbish one tends to get a feel for what the general consensous is or was. So many people were abandoning their 5D in preference for the lighter and more convenient 5n. I will not be one of those. That's for sure.<br>

<a href="https://www.google.com/search?q=sony+nex+5n+versus+canon+5d+mkii&rlz=1C1LENP_enDK478DK478&oq=sony+nex+5n+versus+canon+5d+mkii&sugexp=chrome,mod=1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8">https://www.google.com/search?q=sony+nex+5n+versus+canon+5d+mkii&rlz=1C1LENP_enDK478DK478&oq=sony+nex+5n+versus+canon+5d+mkii&sugexp=chrome,mod=1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8</a></p>

<p>I have the 5N. I use Sony lenses as I use the camera for parties, head shots and landscapes with very good publishable success. I don't use the 5N as a high precision camera although I get very sharp pictures from the Sony Sensor. I find, with the Sony lenses,OS and peaking the camera is just fine and very accurate, if somewhat slow AF compared to my 7D. The AF is more accurate than peaking on the 5N. I use Canon bodies and lenses for sports and action because I get a lot more keepers although action is possible with the 5N. I think 16MP is enough for at least 13x19 prints. I have used 5N with adapter with a Canon 50mm and get decent pictures but manual focus is a pain when working rapidly. I have actually mounted my 100-400 on an adapter. You have to set the aperture on a Canon camera and transfer the lenses to my basic glassless adapter. There is no AF but you can set shutter speed. I did use manual focus Bronicas for years so I understand how to manual focus. I also understand DOF and usually focus on the part of the subject that I want in focus or I use a smaller aperture to get DOF to assure focus From my own printing experience the sensor in the 5N is quite sharp, better or as good as my old 5D and it does presentable work up to 3200 ISO. I have an EVF and use it a lot. You can enlarge in both the LCD and EVF in manual focus. Peaking is not a cure all. It is a valuable aid at say, f11. If you want precise at f 1.8 you have to see the focus. I will try it on my canon 50mm but you can see the focus much better in the EVF and I wear glasses. I use the 5N a lot when I don't want to carry all that heavy crap around. I have had the 5N for almost a year and a few thousand pics with it. I like it and it doesn't fail me but I understand its limitations. Weight is not one of them. As I have the EVF I would get the 5R but I am very satisfied with my 5N. Get a kit lens with OS. It's cheaper than a new body. </p>

<p>@Frank, I just want to clarify for anyone else reading this: while having the evf on the 7 is superior to not having it on the 5n, I believe the add-on EVF for the 5n is identical to that on the 7 except of course that it sticks up off the camera near the middle instead of being in the little lovely range-finder-like location as on the 7.</p>

<p>George, the links that show up in comparing these two cameras are just a lot of internet noise. These are entirely different types of cameras. Different build quality, different sensor formats, different pixel density etc.. I suppose you could plug in any two cameras in a search engine and get some "vs" type comparisons. That does not make them competent reviews.<br>

Now comparisons to other APS-C cameras, of similar MP size, like the Canon 7D, make at least some sense. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Comparing this camera to my selection of Canon L lenses and my 5D mkII i cannot put this little baby in the same ballpark when it comes IQ</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In this case, trusting your own experience makes the most sense. My 5n is no match for my Canon 5Dmk2 but the idea to compare them as equals never crossed my mind.</p>

<p>Mark is right. EVF is superior to not having one.<br>

If you add EVF and the bigger flash to NEX5N, you are geting closer to the price of the NEX7.<br>

Possibly NEX6 pricing will be more sensible.</p>

<p>E.g. Sony offers camera holder with a strap for NEX7, and the same for NEX5. The price for NEX5 is reasonable, while the same type item for NEX7 is about 4 times more expensive. <br>

It is just the same type of leather-like, fiber, and nylon material. What Sony was thinking about....</p>

You just cannot compare the 5D with the 5N. One is full frame and the other is APS-C. On IQ no way that the 5N can measure up to the 5D especially in low light. I had the 5D and it took great photos but it was just too big and heavy for my taste and thus sold it. I have the 5N and use it as a point and shoot. This is the perfect street shooting machine. Compose the shot and let the camera do the rest of the work. Process raw in Lightroom to correct any screwups the camera may have made. Anyone who does not have it should run out and get one for 498 lens included while they last and until the 5R comes out at a much higher price. Even with its kit lens, blows away any compact camera. With the Voigt 15 and 21mm lenses, fits in a large pocket. I also use it with my Leica and Zeiss ZM lenses, focus peaking, no problem, and extracts the most from its sensor with the best lenses made.

If the high ISOnoise on the 5n doesn't satisfy you, nothing short of a full-frame digital will. The 5n has one of the best

APS-C sensors available (same as the Nikon D7000) and newer models are only incremental improvements. A NEX 6

will do slightly better and an OM-D is a bit worse. It does have image stabilization but doesn't have as good a focusing

aid.

As for focusing, have you tried combining peaking with magnification? If you tap the screen during live view on the

area where you want to focus it will zoom in there and you can do finer focusing.