Disc Warrior or new Mac?

Thanks everyone.

OK, I ran Applejack and it looks possible that it may have fixed things. Have been up and running for a few

hours now with no stalls. Thanks in particular to Howard for that info.

I'll see if it continues to work and report back later, but so far so good..

If this is indeed the fix I'll happily make a donation to applejack.

Hi Ray,

I am working on Macs since forever [:)].

iMac has limited performances but it can be customized and fine tuned.The good thing is you use Intell processors based iMac.

First backup all files to external drive. Reinstall Mac OS from your original disks. This will clean up all junk you have. It would be nice if you can buy new, larger hard-drive and upgrade little bit more memory (although iMac is limited with slots). Any use and storage of the videos (HD size) takes a lot of space on the hard drives.

Once you do OS reinstall, update it to latest from apple site. Store all files on the external hd. Do not install unnecessary software and apps.

I use couple of external and internal drives (Power PC Mac). Have main drive only for software and apps. It works flawlessly.

hope this will help.

I would guess that your computer is at the end of its useful life. Do you know whether you will be able to install

Mountain Lion on it? I have 8 2-6 TB Western Digital drives, Drobo gen 2, and 24 Western Digital Passport drives.

They all seem to work fine in Lion 10.7.4

And if you are really running 10.4.11, you are limiting software capabilities not only Apple software but many 3rd party.

I would guess you don't do much image editing on this machine.

<blockquote>

<p>First backup all files to external drive. <strong>Reinstall Mac OS from your original disks</strong>. This will clean up all junk you have. It would be nice if you can buy new, larger hard-drive and upgrade little bit more memory (although iMac is limited with slots).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Right on Mirza! The first thing I would do is back up all personal files and <strong>format the main disk and reinstall the OS</strong>. If you get a new computer you will have to go through a data migration anyway. Doing a fresh install eliminates software as the problem... unless you subsequently install a utility or program that causes problems. Next <strong>I would purchase as big of a hard drive as you can afford and your system can handle</strong>. 2 TB is good. I dropped in a 3TB HD for <$100. Actually I bought a 3TB external HD on clearance at Best Buy and tore it apart. I took the SATA HDD out and installed it in my Win 7 Desktop.</p>

<p>The 3 TB HDD is not advertised and I picked it up about three weeks ago. It can be located with this number 3551442. I think that is the UPC. It's model number is STAC3000102. You have to physically go into your Best Buy and give them that 3551442 number and they will tell you whether they have it in stock. If they don't they will tell you which stores in your area have them. Earlier this month stores I checked had anywhere from 0-3 on hand hidden away. The store staff seemed oblivious to their existence.</p>

<p>3 TB is big. You must have a UEFI motherboard to guarantee you can access it all in one chunk. Otherwise it must me partitioned into a 1 TB chunk and a 2 TB chunk.</p>

<p><strong>If you have overheating problems make sure you open your computer and clean out all dust from heatsinks, fans, and vents</strong>. I had to do this with a CPU chip cooler and my graphics card. It sucked I had to physically take the shroud off my graphics card. I had to make sure I bought some thermal paste to put heat sinks back on. Do not take the heat sinks off until you have some thermal paste handy. You have to clean off the old thermal past and apply new paste.</p>