Jupiter 8 lenses For Export

luis_rives

Would anyone know if the Jupiter 8 lenses (50/f2) manufactured for export were subject to better quality control

or manufacture than the same type lens intended to be sold within the FSU? Since they might have been interested

in demostrating to the West that they could manufacture quality products, I would suggest to me that perhaps they

were. On the other hand, given their obsession with standardization and low cost manufacture, it might not have

been the case. Just wondering if there is a difference between the two types.

<p>I have a bunch of former Soviet Union lenses in a number of mounts and from different periods. I have never been able to see any systematic differences between those with Roman character inscriptions and those with Cyrillic characters. In fact, they seem to be darn good overall.</p>

<p>My Jupiter 8 is amazing but it's from the early 60's. I think the secret is to buy (directly) from the Ukraine/Russia. From what I've been told a lot of poor examples have made their way to north america over the years and the majority of the lenses sold here are the bad ones that people are pawning off on others.</p>