Cannot open raw files on new computer

<p>Help! When working on transferring files around I sometimes work in Windows Explorer and like to view photos there as icons (small previews) to know what pictures are where. I also have Lightroom 4 (v 4.1) where I work on my photos. I recently had to purchase a new laptop (when the old one was stolen), and on the new laptop I cannot open RAW files unless I view them by opening Lightroom (I get a message saying "Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Viewer". My new laptop is running Windows 7 Ultimate. I did not have this problem on my old laptop which was also running Windows 7 Ultimate. How can I open these photos without having to go into Lightroom?</p>

<p>As Phil posted, you will need to install the CODEC for the raw files on your computer, my guess is that it had been installed somehow on your previous PC, maybe unwittingly by the software that came with your camera.<br>

If the link that Phil posted above doesn't cover your camera, I know that Pentax has the codec for their raw files on their website as download, search the support website of your camera brand for this. Adobe has a codec to download for DNG files. </p>

<p>Phil and Hans have touched on it, but haven't actually said it. If your new computer is a 64 bit computer where your old one was a 32 bit computer then that's likely the culprit. You need to install the proper one for the system you have. As you can see from the link not all cameras are supported, even ones that are supported in a 32 bit computer. (32 bit is called x86 on that page and many other places)</p>

<p>If your old laptop was the same as your new laptop then I don't know. Maybe your camera manufacturers website will have something.</p>