menu tab placing

dweezil

<p>Hello, <br>

I have a small problem with the placement of the menu tabs.<br>

Even with the zoom set to 0 the review and store tabs are on a 2nd line under the forum and equipment tabs which makes it nearly impossible to select something from these menu's.<br>

I'm running firefox on ubuntu linux on a 1920 x 1200 display. font settings are: FreeSans 16 and FreeSerif 16 minimum font size is 14.<br>

Lowering these numbers to 12 does improve this somewhat but the store tab is still on the second line. Lowering it even more makes everything so small that it becomes illegible.<br>

Does anybody have any info on how to resolve this?<br>

see the image to explain it graphically.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Problem is in "z-index" ordering of "#nav" and "#nav > li *" items. I seemed to have it fixed without realizing that that could be a problem while solving similar problem elsewhere; see lines 82 to 93 in "photo-net.css" listed below.

<p>Erwin, if you are using Opera, download the following plain text files in a directory ...

<ul>

<li> http://www.bitter-almonds.com/comp/unix/cf/web-css/photo-net.css

<li> http://www.bitter-almonds.com/comp/unix/cf/web-css/content-font.css

<li> http://www.bitter-almonds.com/comp/unix/cf/web-css/content-font-strictly.css

<li> http://www.bitter-almonds.com/comp/unix/cf/web-css/line-height.css

</ul>

<p>... then choose "Edit Site Preferences" from context menu by "right click"ing on a photo.net page; go to "Display" tab; for entry labeled "My Style Sheet" choose the file "photo-net.css" from the directory it was saved in.

<p>Or just try only "photo-net.css" file to try the menu handling.

<p><i>(If you are using Firefox, then you (may) have to edit the files to specify full paths for the files referenced with in.)</i>

<p>These cascading style sheet specifications change looks of Photo.net in terms of colors, fonts, element widths, and hide the right side column (else on "Unified Forum" page, the right side column pushes the thread list after it way down). Style sheet focus is on forum threads & Unified forum.

"Problem is in "z-index" ordering of "#nav" and "#nav > li *" items. I seemed to have it fixed without realizing that that could be a problem while solving similar problem elsewhere; ..." -- parv.

To be clear, I did fix the problem for myself (but not for other photo.net users for I don't work for photo.net).

<p>parv, can you please give me some more details regarding your fix? What is the minimal set of changes to application.css I need to make to incorporate your changes? And can you verify that it fixes the same issue that Erwin is reporting?<br>

Generally, I see these navbar issues only when the font or font size settings to the header are overridden, making it too large to fit in the space for them, and there is no option other than to have them drop down to the second line. In general, once you start overriding the font settings, there seems to be little we can do to make sure it works properly in 100% of the cases, but if your z-index suggestion makes things any better, I would like to incorporate it on the site.</p>

Jin, I most likely had misunderstood Erwin's problem which seems to be the wrapping of menu after increase in font size. I do not have a solution for this for the reason you had already stated. Change in "z-index" values won't do anything useful in this case.

I had thought that after moving mouse over, say "Equipment", submenu might appear; "Store", for example, would stay above the "Equipment" submenu, obscuring part of the submenu; when mouse would move up to the "Equipment", the submen would then disappear. Sorry for the noise.