New documentary Slide Show

mark_starr

<p>I have just posted a slide show of a project I have been working on all summer at the United States Coast Guard Academy. I followed the incoming class of 2016 through their summer boot camp - swab summer to them - and this slide show follows them onto the Coast Guard's sail training ship Eagle at the end of their summer's training. Three companies of cadets go on the ship for a week where they learn to work together to get a sailing ship from one port to another. The slides of the Eagle are just a small part of the whole summer's work but I thought they might be of some interest to people on this site for their documentary nature. They are set to music by Kevin MacLeod of Incompetech.com. If anyone cares to watch it and comment on what can be improved I would greatly appreciate all comments. Thanks for your interest and thoughts in advance. The slideshow is on youtube at this address:<br>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02OK5wG0v3s&feature=youtu.be">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02OK5wG0v3s&feature=youtu.be</a></p>

<p>Thanks again and have a great week.<br>

Sincerely,<br>

Markham Starr<br>

PS I find I have to stop the playing of the slideshow when I go to full screen once after it stafts or the photos are all blurry - stopping and starting it helps on my computer, which is quited old I am afrraid...</p>

<p>Mark: Great show. Must have been a wonderful experience being with the cadets on this wonderful sailing ship. I think a shot in the beginning of the whole ship would provide context of what the boat looks like overall. Also, a shot or two leaving and returning port would have put a beginning and end to the show rather than starting in the middle of the trip. I think you can trim some of the shots that appear to be duplicates of the same thing like many shot of the sails that look pretty much the same from one to another. Also, do you have any shots taken below decks where they brushed their teeth, ate and did "none work" type things. This would add a personal touch. Great job and thanks for posting this. Alan.</p>

<p>Alan,<br>

Thank-you for your kind and helpful comments. I wholeheartedly agree with your assesment on what needs to be added or removed. I am trying to get an overall shot of the ship when it is in port, as it's location when I got on didn't allow for a shot without a fence in front of it and a family emergency kept me from getting an ending shot, but that can be fixed as well. These were culled down from several hundred final shots, and in the end only a dozen or so will be used in the book so I still have a long way to go in terms of editing. Thanks so much for taking the time to help with this - I really appreciate having pros guide me along my somewhat tortured path!<br>

Mark</p>