Giant Sequoia Forest

shutterbug78

<p>It will be our first time to visit & photograph the Giant Sequoia Forest. Coming from Central Illinois (Great Fall Color as of Oct 22 2012)<br>

Can any one give us some advise on best lenses to take in the woods...best places to photograph or Must see .... Also the weather the last week of Oct? Fall color?<br>

Advise on where to Stay over nights. Bear Safety? Will we see any wildlife? Thanks.</p>

<p>I'm presuming that you are referring to Sequoia Natl PK. Just camped there for a week in July. Fab place. Considering that you'll be @6000ft and higher, I mean you may see some white stuff. If it's still nice, perhaps you can climb the Morro Rock. There are several clumps of trees. If you're not camping, the closest lodging will likely be in Three Rivers....hope they finished the road construction for your sake. My presumption is that the park will close off more remote spots for the Winter, so your chances to see any bears is rather slim. The deer that cruise the park have no fear of humans and I was able to take a superb shot (full body) with a 105mm. But, like with any wild animals, why would they hang out close to the human-generated noise when they have thousands of acres ? True, some animals (like moose in AK) seeks closer proximity to humans, since they are less threat to them (particularly their young) than grizzly. Sorry, no idea about the Fall color.<br>

<br />I was using 24mm (on FF) to include the trees, but some people find 20mm even better - a preference. If you are insisting to have a nice photo on the wall from this excursion, I'd suggest that you find more open spot where the entire tree is visible and shoot a vertical pano....and stitch it when you get home. I'd use a 90/105mm (FF) to do the pano, though people have different taste and different lens/es in their bag....so I'll leave it at that. Let me add, that 70-200/4 could be handy for close ups and even if you spot some wildlife, especially if combined with your 50D and/or 1.4 extender. Enjoy your trip.<br>

Les<br>

</p>

<p> </p>

<p>If you are visiting Sequoia / Kings Canyon National Parks then <strong>Three Rivers</strong> is a good place to stay - we stayed in the motel there in May 2011 (Australian tourists) - it was OK for the price and not too far from the gates of the NP.</p>

<p>Lenses - I used my 17-35mm extensively and also my 70-200mm when we came across bears. The sequoiadendron giganteum trees are magnificent, you cannot go too wide in my opinion....... We visited in a year with a very wet, snowy, prolonged winter and slow spring and there was still snow cover in the elevated reaches of the parks. The bears we encountered were just breaking their winter hibernation and were sluggish. I expect in Oct / Nov the bears wil be in a food gathering frenzy and much more alert and active compared to early spring so beware.</p>

<p>I used my 70-200mm (at 180-200mm) lens to photograph some bears at just a distance which kept me comfortable and did not raise the bear's attention levels. But I again stress, these bears were only weeks if not only days out of hibernation according to the Park Rangers we spoke to.</p>

<p>Enjoy your visit and leave plenty of time to explore both Sequoia and King's Canyon you will find plenty to shoot right throughout the parks - not too hard to find world class subject matter.......</p><div>00awt3-500453784.jpg.5ae99140b73b25959796c5eb4d24dbb9.jpg</div>

<p>Oh wow what a beautiful image of the cinnamon Bear ! Thanks for the info Leszek and Matthew, it was very helpful. I am not sure what to do if I see a Bear as far as being safe and must say have a healthy fear of them. But I would love to have images like the above one. Hope I can stop the hand shaking from fear enough to take the shot. Better not forget my Tripod :>)</p>

I took some pics along the avenue of the giants, up near Eureka. I would recommend early morning, early evening.

It's important to have something that puts the size in perspective. Without some comparative perspective they just look

with trees

I have some pics starting at http://www.flickr.com/photos/tudorapmadoc/7585683578/in/set-72157630954823670/

Click the next button to see more of the pics. You might get some ideas

<p>Seemingly minor points:</p>

<p>The trees along the Avenue of the Giants are coast redwoods, not giant sequoias. The difference may seem academic but from photographic and travel standpoints it's significant. The coast redwood forests are at low elevations in a coastal climate that's rainy in winter and foggy in summer. The forests are dense, lush, and dark and you have to adjust your photography accordingly.</p>

<p>In contrast, the giant sequoias are in the Sierra Nevada, a mountain range that's high enough to get large amounts of snow in winter but which generally has sunny and warm weather in summer. Not all sequoia groves are accessible in winter so be sure to check beforehand. Also, these groves are often (though certainly not always) more open and sunnier than the coast redwood forests.</p>

<p>BTW, the large rock formation in Sequoia National Park that's well worth climbing up (via trail and stairs) due to its spectacular views is <strong>Moro</strong> Rock. It's open even in winter though you need to be careful due to snow and ice. </p>

<p>The other large rock in central California that's even more famous is <strong>Morro</strong> Rock by the coastline at Morro Bay. This rock can be approached but not legally climbed due to nesting birds.</p>

<p>Veronica, I was just in the Yosemite area the past few days. The peak of fall color has passed in the high country but the middle-elevation forests where the sequoias are found is having decent color from dogwoods and maples, and to a lesser degree from oaks. Still, colors are poorer than average, perhaps due to the drought.</p>

<p>As for lenses, while a very wide lens will enable you to get in more of the tree that is not the only approach to take and may not be the best. Actually, a telephoto lens if used well can be very effective when it shows several trunks in close proximity. Really, you need a variety of focal lengths and to approach your photography of these trees and groves with an open mind as to possible compositions.</p>

<p>We did stay at the Wuksachi lodge in Sequoia National Park and liked it except pulling all our gear and luggage up the hill via steps or trail to our room. Also we did not take time to find our room/building in day light...I strongly recommend finding your room/building in day light! <br>

You must have a reservation to eat dinner in the restaurant (end of Oct 2012) except for Breakfast Buffet and lunch. The Restaurant/Lodge also has a gift shop (open 8am - 8pm) that has lunch foods to go...we bought them after eating breakfast before heading out for the day of photographing. Also have medicine for cold etc... yup.... I am either allergic to pines or I have a cold.<br>

The Tioga Pass was beautifully as is Mono Lake with the salt tufas. We are going to do a sunrise there tomorrow then head back to the Airport Sunday.<br>

Today we arrived 5 min before the closing of Bodie Ghost town...closed at 3pm Nov-2-2012. We drove an half an hour on a rough dirt road paid full price $14. to take a hand full of photos before Security in an annoying white truck and speaker pushes you out of town threatening to issue you a citation if you stop the car to shoot a photo from the car door. How nice. Looks like a great place to go though...I hear that you can enter the buildings too.</p>

<p> </p>