Contax G2 LCDs replaced recently ?

jt991

<p>My G2 LCDs are o.k. and I knew before I bought it about the "bleeding issue" which may inevitably afflict them...<br>

Anyone out there with a G who has had its LCDs replaced within, say, the last 18 months ? Just wondering if there are any new ones left, anywhere. Dreading the worst scenario - that day when the exposure counter blacks out altogether :-( </p>

<p>I doubt there are any new, old stock LCD's left, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your camera, and a lot of other besides the Contax G series, have similar problems and it's usually not a bad issue. What usually happens is a corner will bleed a little bit, and stay that way for a long time before getting worse. Years, in most cases, and even then they rarely go from a little bleed to black.</p>

<p>Keeping your camera from rapid temperature changes would be a good idea. If you're heading out in very cold temperatures, maybe keep the camera in your pocket a while before throwing it over your shoulder, and the same when you come in from outside. Going from inside to outside during the summers probably isn't a big change and should be fine. </p>

<p>The LCD bleeding applied only to the G1 models prior to the 'green label'.</p>

<p>I've never heard about LCD bleeding in a G2. It's pretty robust. You won't experience the bleeding under normal conditions. Except maybe if you smack the camera to a concrete floor.</p>

------------------------------------------

Worry is like a rocking chair.

It will give you something to do,

but it won't get you anywhere.

<p>Well, you have now, Jens.<br>

Ffordes in Scotland (occasionally commended in photo.net) have two of the eight G2 cameras currently listed affected by light bleeding. There are other instances I have discovered, which is why I am checking with the people Kyocera appointed to deal with service & repair requests to find out if the supply of new LCDs has run out - or not. Ffordes cameras don't look as though they've been ill-treated...<br>

www.ffordes.co.uk/product/12091209205481</p>

<p>James, that's not a very customer oriented company. They mention the LCD bleeding but don't show it. I've heard and read many bad things about Ffordes.</p>

<p>Several years ago I had one of my G2 serviced in Germany. They replaced the top plate/cap, and I thought they also replaced the LCDs, because they returned crystal clear. Maybe they are mounted to the plate and not available separately? I really don't know.</p>

------------------------------------------

Worry is like a rocking chair.

It will give you something to do,

but it won't get you anywhere.

<p>A few days ago, Jens wrote that he had never heard about LCD bleeding in a G2.<br>

In comparison to Ffordes, Leicashop (in Vienna, Austria) consistently provide a set of photographs for their used cameras; currently one related to this thread, of a black G2 - including a close-up showing its blacked-out Mode LCD<br>

<a href="https://www.leicashop.com/pic.php?lang=de&order=20524_18&pic=6#6">https://www.leicashop.com/pic.php?lang=de&order=20524_18&pic=6#6</a><br>

It might be interesting to check back later to see if anybody has bought it :-)</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>I am disappointed to read a criticism of a camera store for two reasons. First, the store owner is not here to answer back. Second, I have used the store referred to for multiple sales and purchases totalling over GBP 15,000 over the last 30 years. During that time I have never encountered a single problem.</p>

<p>My experience is of a genuinely customer-focused company of great integrity. Ffordes is a very traditional British camera store. Rather than rely on images of equipment to determine their condition, I would rather call or email with questions which are always truthfully answered. I have had a long relationship with the company starting with Reg Byford, the founder, in the late 1970s to today. I cannot recommend Ffordes highly enough.<br>

(Just my US $ 0.02, or GBP 15,000.) </p>