suggestion for upgrade from t1i?

gwenyth_m

<p>Which EOS body would you recommend for an advanced beginner with a very tight budget (ie: no money to buy FF)? I have the t1i, and I like it- but I would like to upgrade as I am starting to get frustrated by certain features on the t1i, like the frames per second, not handling low light real well without a lot of noise. I have has this camera for almost 3 years, and am at around 20,000 shutter clicks. I have been looking into the T3i and the T4i, and I think the T3i still may be the better choice. I also have tiny hands, so size is a factor for me. Which body would you all recommend to someone that would eventually like to become more than just a hobbyist, but doesn’t have the funds for the more expensive full frame quite yet (but yet would like to throw their current camera body out a window some days.). I would rather not spend a ton on a body right now, and instead save the left over $ for a good lens collection for when I do eventually make the leap to FF. thoughts?</p>

<p>My first thought would be a 60D, it has the same sensor as the T3i (and 7D), so should yield equivalent noise improvements over the T1i, as well, the 60D shoots at up to 5.3(?) fps so will shoot a bit faster than your t1i. The ergonomics are (IMO) a bit better, but <em>you should go to a camera store and feel the difference between<strong> any</strong> potential upgrade and your current body <strong>first.</strong></em><strong> </strong><br>

You mention that you feel you have small hands... That makes it doubly important to buy a body which you feel comfortable with the handling on.</p>

<p>I only have the kit 18-55 lens, the 55-250 and a 50.1.8. So currently the only lens that would upgrade well into the future is the 50 1.8. In my list of “would love to have lenses” are the: 70-200 2.8 L IS (made the “mistake” of renting it once!), something like the 24-70 2.8; and perhaps something wider, but not fisheye. I have also looked at the 35 2.0; and possibly something in the 80-85mm range, and 28mm. (I like primes, but I also like the ability to zoom when needed. So I guess I am still finding my way on that topic.)</p>

<p>I do plan on handling anything in store first before I plunk down the cash. : ) Even with the T1i, if I am out all day shooting, by the end of the day my hands are sore and my fingers cramped up from handling the camera all day. I don’t even use the battery grip, because it is too much, though I would love the ease of adding one to my camera body permanently- it just feels way too massive. By tiny hands, I guess picture a petite woman, with petite hands… and that’s what I’m working with.</p>

<p>Ah, as the plot thickens, I think you can hardly do better than either to keep what you have (it's perfectly capable and has plenty of "pixies dancing" on the sensor), or to simply upgrade to the latest you can afford in the "Rebel" line.<br /> The 7D and the various xxD (e.g., 50D used) models are going to be much bigger and if you find the camera you have large and heavy, then you don't want to go there.</p>

<p>Many of us prefer the control systems on the xxD and 7D lines, but everything gets heavier (more metal inside, for one thing) as you go up the scale of Canon (or any other marque's) models.</p>

<p>For a very light package, just try shooting with your 50mm f/1.8 lens and the T1i. Your 18-55 is a good lens and is also small and light. Get a kit telephoto (55-250 IS), also small and light, and you are definitely set up technically for doing excellent photography.</p>

<p>You've got a pretty good kit, and it's tough to improve without spending quite a bit of money. The T3i will get you a tiny frames-per-second improvement, a 7D will get much more and also brings significant autofocus improvements. But even a 7D won't dramatically improve low-light performance over a T1i, realistically switching to faster lenses is the best way to do that. They're not cheap though.</p>

<p>20,000 clicks isn't really that many - I suspect your T1i has a lot of life left in it. You can keep it as a backup after upgrading.</p>

<p>The noise performance differences between the 18MP sensor in the newer cameras and the 15MP in the T1i only going to be noticeable in large prints/big crops and without any noise reduction in post-processing. </p>

<p>You would likely be much better served by purchasing lenses with larger apertures and/or external lighting.</p>

<p>If the frames per second of your current camera is a problem for you, the T3i only offers a very small improvement, 3.4 to 3.7 frames. To go faster, you need to either go with one of the larger body cameras, like the 60D @ 5.3, the 50D@6.3 (only available used) or the 7D@8, or, stay with the same approximate body size the Rebel T4i at 5 frames per second.</p>

<p>Try a 60D or 7D in the store, and maybe even rent one to really see if the larger camera would be a problem or not. If your hands feel cramped up on a T1i after shooting, a larger camera may improve things, even though at first glace it seems "too big".</p>

<p>Don't forget to use a good strap. I use a Black Rapid to keep the camera ready at my hip, and put the weight on my shoulder rather than the back of my neck. I carry a 7D with grip, two batteries, and a 100-400mm L lens - a rather heavy kit - the Black Rapid helps greatly!</p>

<p>Maybe use a monopod or tripod also (if you aren't already) to reduce hand fatigue (though they can introduce fatigue to whole other areas!).</p>

<p>I shoot a T1i and see no need to upgrade. Improvements in later generation model Rebels have been incremental. Unless you really benefit from things like an articulated screen or AF for video, replacing the T1i in my opinion is like pouring money down the drain. If you appreciate a small camera and want an SLR, the Rebel series is really the only way to go, since everything else is going to be a lot bigger and heavier. I recently added a used 20D to my set, and in comparison to the T1i it's a brick. I am a big guy with hands like shovels, so I can handle it, but I do prefer a small inconspicuous SLR.</p>

<p>FPS are nice to have, but often you need only one good shot, and experience can help to nail just the right moment where random shooting at top frame rates will fail. Also, unless your output is huge, the T1i is no slouch with regard to low light performance - it shares the same sensor with the 7D - and a lot can be done to perfect results in post processing.</p>

<p>My recommendation would be to keep your T1i and learn using it even more effectively. If money is burning a hole into your pocket, you have a good set of lenses, but there is room to expand your scope. In addition to what you have, I enjoy using my T1i with a EFs 10-22, 100-400L, 35/2 and 100/2.8 macro. Depending on your shooting preferences, any of those would make a nice addition to your set!</p>

<p>Thanks all :-) I will look into expanding my lens selection first., and maybe look at a used rebel for a back up camera. I do love my T1i, and maybe it is user error why it feels slow- usually when shooting continuous without the external flash and having to rely on the on board flash to recycle- which is sooo slow sometimes. I only have a vivtar df383 flash... and it is finicky and overheats with extended use.</p>

<p>Gwenyth, if flash recycling is your problem, try adapting a sealed lead-acid battery to your external flash. I sometimes run my 550EX off of a 6V 3'ish amp-hour (?) battery, which is good for many, many flashes and cycles the flash on the order of 1-2 sec at full discharge. Here's a bit more info:</p>

<p>http://www.graphic-fusion.com/vivitar285mods.htm</p>

<p>(See the third paragraph.)</p>