New M, 24MP liveview and video...

<p>Dieter</p>

<p>You have both R and M! Many R owners did (me included). If they don't - this is still the best solution going, unless you want to put them on a crop NEX camera. I think most of us R users knew that there was going to be no real R DSLR solution 4 years or more ago. I wondered for a moment about the S series - but the price and the format obviously meant this was not going to happen. That is why I sold out and moved to EOS. My mistake now, I suppose, is not actually waiting long enough! I probably would have been happy with a new Leica M and a mix of M and R glass - not that I am unhappy with Canon, but I do miss the small footprint of the M.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>I think the new Leica offerings make the maximum number of people happy, quite an achievement. For some this confirms their decision to go with the M9 after all, second hand or new if they must have a prettier camera. For others the ME is a great solution. I have never understood the reason for the preview lever and would be glad not to have it. Then for others the new M is the cake and icing they wanted. As for me with an M9-P bought in March, I am happy. It would be a year later before I had the M and I am not sure I want all that it offers. My next M may well be the M Monochrom.</p>

<p>The chief disadvantage of the would be M10 is the extremely generic name it has been given. Mike Johnston laments this on his TOP site. Just imagine trying to Google to find it and articles on it. You will need to throw in "focus peaking" or "live view" between double quotes like that, and hope for the best.</p>

<p>For those needing the extra features of the M (live view, video, higher resolution monitor, focus peaking, eVisoflex and R lens adaptability, higher ISO) it is probably no contest between the M and the former digital models. The IQ of the M9 is still pretty high and perhaps in 6 months a used M9 or the more economic M-E may be a good Q/P choice. Also, will we see a difference in rendition between the CCD and CMOS images? Note that Leica chose to provide the recent Monochron B&W model in a CCD sensor configuration. However this may have had more to do with marketing strategy than with IQ aspects.</p>

<p>It's a wonderful jump for a small but significant company. A choice of models and prices, the ability to use other lenses. Adapters at startling prices, but it is Leica.<br>

The idea that NOW the Leica would be an investment, comparing to a film Leica, truly silly and fanatical. The new models which no a single person has mentioned so far is, how do the frame-lines appear with no illuminator window? I know it is battery powered but what about accuracy? My M6 sucks or i am simply too used to a 100% viewfinder, as in my original Nikon-F. Any SLR is way more accurate than an "M" film camera. Digital cameras are ALWAYS getting "better. There is always a new rash of better and improved cameras.. Where there the good investment? Accept there will be newer new M-models..<br>

I personally would not invest! I hate electronic viewfinders as the "Visoflex-IV". I can purchase a DSLR with lens, for slightly more than the "R" adapter. I am about to add a DSLR that is on the $500.oo mark. My present main digital, a Canon Powershot of $100, has exposed about 70,000 images over 3 years, a small percentage in pro-work, over 3+ years.. The best camera i have ever owned!<br>

To those of you about to add a new M, enjoy! Leica has certainly taken a bold step forward. I hope it's far enough, as Full Frame boxes looming at ever diminishing prices, are looming on the horizon.<br>

I agree using a Leica is a special joy. These days though, that's limited to those with deep pockets. I have short fingers..</p>

• 2 weeks later...