Mamiya C330F questions

astral

<p>I am interested in buying a Mamiya C330 with 80mm f2.8 and 55mm f4.5 lenses, and have been "Googling" for info. without much success. Many potentially helpful websites appear now to have disappeared, and broken links are commonplace. So, I have a few questions about specific points:<br>

<br />Firstly: as as a spectacle wearer, eye-relief is always an issue for me (especially with my Rollei T and Automat): is the C300 screen any easier to focus?<br /><br />Secondly: I have seen images taken with the 80mm which have exceptionally smooth out-of-focus rendition ('bokeh'). Is the 55mm similar in character, given that rather more correction for spherical abberations (etc) is needed with that focal length and the max. aperture is f4.5?<br /><br /><br />I have a 3 day reserve on a C330 'F', with 80mm and 55mm 'Blue Dot' lenses, at a price of GBP/£320 (with warranty). That is cheaper than a 'blad with two lenses, and it gives a wider angle (55mm) than my Rolleis; so, it is rather tempting. (£320 is my limit).<br /><br />Advice on these issues, and observations on the C330 will be very helpful. My main subject matter is principally landscapes and architecture. Thank you.</p>

<p>The C330 and C330-F use the same focusing screens, therefore, these screens are just about the most<br /> commonly available screens in the later Mamiya TLR model range...third party, or Mamiya made.<br /> As TLR'S go...the Mamiya screen is not dim.<br /> Most (or latter), C330-f models came with the more desirable, single action WLF.<br /> <br /> Diopter lenses for the 'pop-up' magnifier are available, and are offered [often] on the auction site.<br /> http://www.ebay.com/itm/320790944782?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649<br /> The 55mm lenses alone, routinely cost in excess of $225.USD (140-200GBP)<br /> http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Medium-Format/system-Mamiya-Twin-Lens-Reflex/category-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses?s=1&bcode=MT&ccode=6&cc=81133&r=WG&f<br /> I have never had the luxury of having two 55mm, (TLR) lenses at the same time for comparison.<br /> Some are happy with their 55mm's...some are not. <br /> I am happy with mine. You might try some 'flickr groups' on this subject.</p>

<p>Graham Patterson's, Mamiya TLR site is the 'holy grail' for Mamiya TLR info:<br /> http://www.gapatterson.com/grahamp/</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The Mamiya TLR cameras offered a number of optional viewfinders, that all will serve you well.<br /> Perhaps a waist level finder with a magnifier will be best option, but Prism finder, or Porro Prism Finder will work nicely. Your lenses are good for what you intend to do. There is no wider lens option for the TLR.</p>

<p>I am surprised someone offers warranty on old cameras.</p>

<p>I had 2 of Mamiya TLR with 3 lenses, and managed to sell one camera and 2 lenses, but keep the 180mm lens for portraits.</p>

<p>I only do B&W film in medium format, that I process it myself. Color is becoming harder to get and process, and perhaps the inevitable will happen... with advances of digitals.</p>

<p>I would not purchase a medium format film camera now in this stage of photo technology.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks Marc and Frank. I must have had a bad link to Graham Patterson's (old?) website - it works now. It seems that the S version is the better model regarding interchangeable screens. </p>

<p>I agree with the concerns about film and processing, though I have a freezer full of 120 film which I must get some value from. My 6x6 cameras, especially my Rollei T, Automat/MX and Autocord, all have 75mm lenses or thereabouts: a wider lens is desirable for cityscapes. </p>

<p>Unfortunately, people on Flickr rarely mention the apertures used, so it is difficult to judge the characteristics of the 55mm at various apertures at middle distances. Some photos exhibit smooth o-o-f rendition, but others are a bit distracting. I believe there are different versions too, which may have differing characteristics.</p>

<p>I know the seller quite well, and the warranty is basically 'money back if there are problems'.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It seems that the S version is the better model regarding interchangeable screens.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I don't think I would fully agree with this statement. The 'S' screen is unique, only to the 'S' model,<br /> which makes all screens for the 'S'...third party or Mamiya, rarer and costlier, thus...limiting.</p>

<p>Ensuring your camera is equipped with the 'single action' or Model-2, WLF, may be of more importance. <br /> The single action finder makes an enclosed 'chimney,' when the pop-up magnifier is deployed;<br /> blocking out errant external light far better then the shorter, double action finder.<br /> Single action, Model 2. (note the vertical hinge, middle, on the sides):<br /> http://c0.dmlimg.com/1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e2633661164f291d6a429f2c04ac354614809e.jpg<br /> Older, shorter, double action, Model 1:<br /> http://www.flickr.com/photos/inkyfingerz/4381842394/</p>

<p>Hi!<br>

I have the Mamiya C330F with all seven lenses. I don't really do close up work with the 55mm, but I think it has good bokeh. My impression is that medium format has better bokeh than 35mm in general.<br>

I shoot lots of close up work with the 180mm, that lens has superb bokeh.<br>

I add two shots taken with the 55mm on Velvia:</p><div>00awPn-500195684.jpg.085d6bb91ccadb20347b998abe0a819b.jpg</div>

<p>Good point about the C330 and C330F screens Marc, thanks. I'll enquire more closely about the specifics of the camera on offer. </p>

<p>My aim is to separate close-up or foreground, subjects (e.g. people or street furniture) from the background environment, whilst maintaining a smooth dissolve into the distantce. That would be easier with a 180mm lens, although working distances and d-o-f can be a limitation there. Still, the option to add a longer lens would be a <em>big</em> bonus, hence me considering the C330 system. It won't break the bank either.</p>

<p>The frozen lake, Dirk, is my sort of (rural) landscape; it's a fine photo, thanks for posting it and for the comments from you and Marc about the WLF. Most of my work is done with a tripod nowadays - often with low viewpoints - so prism finders (etc) can be an inconvenience.</p>

<p>I'm still looking around the web for photos that demonstrate the 55mm's character, but for the time being at least, I'll assume that its 'bokeh' might be a non-critical issue compared to the other qualities of the C330 system. There's enough time before I need to to decide whether to buy.</p>

<p>Thanks for the input.</p>

<p>Alan,<br>

I have a C330 (plus two C3s and a C220). I 'm a big fan of Mamiya TLRs and my C330 is the easiest for me because I'm long-sighted an focussing is tricky, but the C330 has a split image viewfinde which helps greatly. I don't have the 55mm lens so I can't comment on that but as you say the bokeh of the 80mm is very pleasing.<br>

One final point - I have noticed that here in the UK prices are rising quite sharply on old MF cameras (e.g. a Mamiya C3 at £180) so it might be a good time to take the plunge.</p>

<p>Alan, buy it and use it for a few days. If it works as it should you will not regret it and if it does not, you said you can get a refund. I have one with 3 lenses and I am very pleased with it.<br>

You mentioned it is cheaper than a blad; I would say that is a bit of an understatement. A Hasselblad with 3 lenses will cost you way more as you know but the other benefit I find between the 2 makes is the lack of mirror on the Mamiya. I use a 330f and a blad and find the 330 more usable for some types of photography (i.e hand held).<br>

It is true to say the image quality of the blad lenses is better to my eye but not to the point of the Mamiya lenses being bad quality at all (as Dirk has proved).<br>

The only issue I can think of is the bulk and weight of the Mamiya system but if you are looking for high quality medium format results, its a small price to pay, as is the £320</p>

<p>I too have seen some resurgence in interest in medium format cameras in the UK, and prices are clearly on the rise at present. I have missed several good deals that have been quickly snapped up by others.</p>

<p>I need a rollfilm camera for a leisurely tour of E and SE Europe in 2013. I could use my noisy Mamyya 645, but a 6x6 camera with WLF is easier for candid and street photography (on monopod) than an eye-level SLR camera ~ no issues with turning the camera sideways. Quieter too. The d-o-f- preview of a 'blad would be ideal, but way beyond my budget for travel photography.</p>

<p>My Rollei fits the bill except for the fixed focal length; so, a C330F it will be. I'll discuss a trial period with the seller (who has unfortunately sold the 180mm I was contemplating - dang!).</p>

<p>Thanks, folks: very valuable inputs.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I have a C330f, the last version of the 80mm f/2.8, a 135mm f/4.5, and a 55mm f/4.5. The last version of the 80mm, identifiable by the multicoloured lens coating and a viewing lens that is different from the taking lens, is a very good lens with very good flare control and contrast. The version before that, which has identical taking and viewing lenses and a goldish lens coating is also good, but doesn't have quite the same flare control and contrast of the latter version. My copy of the 55mm f/4.5 is quite sharp, but prone to flare in bright light if steps aren't taken to control it. I seemed to have the most success with that lens if I used a polarizing filter on it and stopped it down 2-3 stops from the maximum aperture.</p>

<p>The C330f itself is built like a tank. The film winding is a bit noisy, but it is very quiet when you take a shot. One thing you might want to look at is the light seals on the back. Mine got gooey and crumbly. I replaced them myself using strips cut from black foam sheets found in a crafts store.</p>

<p>Good luck with your decision.</p>