Might Benjamin Kanarek have......

k_kakkinen

<p>....something hidden in his backpocket ?????<br>

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/196133-my-little-pentax-prediction.html<br>

and<br>

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=42285138</p>

<p>.....As many of us know he is using Pentax cameras in his work.....might Pentax have given him an upcoming camera for testing before Photokina and release ??????</p>

<p>He is one great photographer, and yes devoted Pentax user. In the past he made many claims about having access to insiders at Pentax; true or not I cannot say. But it's always nice to see something he's posted- stirs up the ol' beehive anyway. Guess we'll see.</p>

<p>He does seem to have a knack of creating a bit of hype on the various forums. He is a formidable photographic talent without doubt but I do wonder if at times he feels the need to have his (it seems) also formidable ego caressed.<br>

Indications are pretty strong now that the successor to the K-5 will be 24Mp and APS-C, improved AF and Video are already in the public domain with the K-30 ala Prime M, proprietary Pentax software algorithm? Could be anything that Pentax uses in the firmware... <br>

Much ado about nothing really :)</p>

<p>I doubt Ben is doing anything that Pentax will be unhappy with, just stirring up a little interest, not revealing all that much. I agree that it's quite possible that Ben has handled the K-5 replacement.</p>

<p>I and many others have been guessing for some time that the next upmarket Pentax (K-5 replacement) would likely feature a version of Sony's 24mp sensor that so far appears in Nikon D3200 and Sony's own NEX-7, A65, and A77. This would be a non-surprise. I think it's also pretty safe to assume that it will pick up additional video capability, equal to or better than K01 or K30.<br /><br /><br />Some of the other points are hard to guess at. Will Pentax ever release a body without fixed rear LCD? Any change in X-sync speed? Will body be all new or will it retain compatibility with K-7/K-5 batteries and D-BG4? Will there be a more obvious jump in AF capability (more than 11 points, improved tracking)?</p>

<p>I can't say I am in the market for anything, BUT I'd shuffle some gear to the used market to buy a camera with a decent X-sync.</p>

<p>I believe the body will be new, Pentax has traditionally only kept 2 bodies using existing batteries and grips. This makes sense from an economy of scale standpoint. After too many generations, however, they begin to lose sales vs. gain extra profit from lower production cost. </p>

<p>I personally prefer a fixed rear LCD, and you will too the first time you break your LCD off. But until then I'll just keep reminding people how much of a liability a rotating LCD is...and wait for the first complaints of broken LCDs ;-)</p>