Looking for CW quote about IS, AF and high SS

yakim_peled1

<p>SS is Sutter Speed. I thought that every photographer knows this. <br>

CW is Chuck Westfall. I thought that every Canon photographer knows this. <br>

BTW, TIA is Thank you In Advance. And of course, BTW is By The Way.</p>

<p>And with that our short lesson in acronyms is over.</p>

<p>:-)</p>

<p>Happy shooting,<br /> Yakim.</p>

<p>I'm with Mark on this. With my limited point of view, I thought this was a question about a quote you read dealing with Congress Watch (CW), Information Security (IS), the Air Force (AF), and the Secret Service (SS):<br>

<em>House Report 111-705 - U.S. Government Printing Office</em> <em><cite>www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CRPT-111hrpt705/.../CRPT-111hrpt705.ht...</cite></em></p>

<p><em>S. 1510, United States <strong>Secret Service</strong> Uniformed Division Modernization Act of 2010. <strong>....</strong> H.R. 4900, the Federal <strong>Information Security</strong> Amendments Act of 2010. <strong>......</strong> Angela Canterbury, Director of Advocacy, Public Citizen's <strong>Congress Watch</strong>; <strong>...</strong> Colonel Karsten S. Heckl; Dr. A.R. Rivolo, Retired United States <strong>Air Force</strong> Pilot."</em></p>

<p>;-)</p>

<p>Tom M</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I vividly remember a quote from CW in which he stated that the IS mechanism actually helps the AF system in high SS. However, searching for this quote I can't find it. Can anyone please help? TIA.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Well, any neurobiologist can tell you that a TIA (transient ischemic attack) is something you don't want to have. It's not as serious as a CVA (cerebrovascular accident), but if severe enough, it can cause permanent damage. It's clinically related to migraines.</p>

<p>Any machinist can tell you that high SS (or HSS) means "high speed steel" -- definitely not as good as carbide, but you get what you pay for.</p>

<p>And any resident of Virginia's Hampton Roads area will tell you that CW is the accepted acronym for "Colonial Williamsburg," which is a pretty cool place. However, when I lived in Texas, anyone would have told you that CW meant Country and Western, which I suppose would be the most widely accepted use of the term in the US. Internationally, the most common use would probably be Carrier Wave, but you would have to be an electronics geek to know that. I think the best meaning of CW might be "Crap Weasel," which is "any worthless induvidual who tries to steal credit for someone else's work." (Urban Dictionary, definition #1.) As photographers, we should all learn to recognize a crap weasel when we encounter one.</p>

<p>Anyway, as confused as your post left me, I know a TIA isn't anything you want to mess with, so I would suggest you should lie down in a nice, dark room, play some soothing music, and try to forget this question that causes you so much stress!</p>

<p><em>> I thought that every photographer knows this</em><br /> Remember PCMCIA? It has evolved from its original meaning to describe a jumble of acronyms that totally confounded the world. The "C" used to stand for "computer" but "camera" it might be as well.<br /> Natural language written in round, descriptive sentences is your best bet.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Sounds like when I picked up my kids cell phone and tried to figure out what him and his friends were texting about. " bottoms ran up on CP in btown hotboxin acura jumped out choppa heatin ran out of gas got hookedup on TG, gn 4 t ride." translation <br>

The bottoms - West Oakland below Mandella Parkway<br>

CP - Crips, Btown - Berkeley, Hotboxin - Stollen Car type Acura<br>

Choppa - automatic weapon, Heatin - rappidly firing, ran out of gas - ran out of bullets<br>

Hookedup - Aresteda and handcuffed, TG - Telegraph Avenue, gone 4 t ride - went to prison for a long time. </p>

<p>Just a little text trivia which every good hotogrpher should know. :-) If a kid today say he is going home o get his choppa and going to gas you up - that should mean to you to run like hell...</p>

Looking for this?

Q. I am about to buy a new Canon 70-200mm lens (either f/2.8 or f/4) and am trying to decide if I should buy the lens with

IS. I have taken thousands of alpine ski race pictures with the 70-200mm f/4 without IS (using 20D and now 50D

cameras). I am usually shooting with shutter speeds of 1/250 to 1/1000 depending on how much light I have. I also often

pan the racers at two or three gates and with this high shutter speed I am wondering if I should even use the IS feature.

Can you comment on whether using IS would be beneficial for this high-speed sports photography?

A. You would be better off with the IS version for skiing photos, for a reason that might not be obvious at first glance.

Although chances are good that you'll be using a shutter speed so fast that the IS system has no effect, use of IS will

present a steadier image to the camera's AF detection system. Thus, if you're using predictive focus, the IS system may

provide better data for the AF system to base its calculations on. However, if you're just zone focusing manually and

waiting for the subject to pass through the area you've preselected, then you might as well shut off the IS function and

save some battery power.

<p>Just a comment to Yakim regarding acronyms: I heard on the ABC yesterday that an ancronym has to make a word that is pronounceable e.g. "RAM" for "random access memory". SS is not a word so it is an "initialism" rather than an acronym. What can I say; I'm a pedant! I won't quote you and say "I thought that every Canon photographer knows this", because I didn't:-)</p>

<p>Just a comment to Yakim regarding acronyms: I heard on the ABC yesterday that an ancronym has to make a word that is pronounceable e.g. "RAM" for "random access memory". SS is not a word so it is an "initialism" rather than an acronym. What can I say; I'm a pedant! I won't quote you and say "I thought that every Canon photographer knows this", because I didn't:-)</p>

<p dir="LTR">Matthijs Claessen finally nailed it. Thank you very much. </p>

<p dir="LTR"> </p>

<p dir="LTR">To all others, thanks for some incontrollable bursts of laughter and giggles. I never thought this thread would take this route but I'm glad it did. At the end I got my answer and – as an added and unexpected bonus – enjoyed myself tremendously. What could be better? You really made my day.</p>

<p dir="LTR"> </p>

<p dir="LTR">LOL :-)</p>

<p dir="LTR"> </p>

<p dir="LTR">Happy shooting,</p>

<p dir="LTR">Yakim.</p>

<p dir="LTR"> </p>